If Jeep still built the TJ today

No, definitely not. If you think about it, A TJ Rubicon, adjusted for inflation, is about 37,500. A JL Rubicon, Base, with 33's, power windows, B/U camera, bigger, nicer interior, Ucoonect, etc starts at 37,945. Yes, essentially the same price. There is NO WAY I would take a TJ over the JL for the same price.

Not to discount the lineup reflecting a trend, but I don’t qualify even half of those as SUVs. If you sit “down” in it, it’s a crossover.

I think the newer generation of car buyers are looking for a vehicle that covers all the bases. When I was a kid we had several vehicles to do what one JLUHR can do in stock form.

If they sold a bare bones built for wheeling Jeep TJ rubicon they will sell them for years to come. It would be awesome if they did, I would go out and buy a new one.

Well unfortunately the previous owner screwed a CB to the front middle of the dash ...WTF what a clown .. but it's a Rubicon and for 5 Gs I couldn't pass it up ... also unfortunately it goes in the shop today for rear ring and pinion and full bearings as it has a whine ... guessing the same clown never changed the diff fluid..fortunately it is still bone stock and if I could get it as is brand new today I would gladly pay 37,000 for it ... as long as it still has the same drivetrain with the bullet proof 4.0 and 4:1 transfer case

Let's face it - ANYTHING with 2 doors ain't a big seller - PERIOD! Manufacturers (excepting smaller and specialty manufacturers like Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.) build what they THINK the genital public WANTS; they're in bidness to make a profit above ALL else! And the sheeple WANT 4 doors, Infotainment systems, and all the HORSESHIT they can get so that they DON'T have to think about DRIVING! Geez - how 'bout those Ford commercials with the young "hipsters" talking ONLY about the Infotainment systems in their new Shit Box. Next time you're RIDING down the road w/your lady friend or a pal at the wheel, devote ~10 minutes of your time doing nothing but LQQKING at each driver you pass. Here in Orange County CA fully 33-50% of the drivers are staring down at their "smart" phones; they can't be BOTHERED with actually "driving"...

Sorry - caffeine induced rant off; back to your regularly scheduled programming...

It would probably sell a little worse than the 2 door JKs and JLs because of lack of creature comforts / beefy-ness / cargo room, and those numbers aren't that great to begin with anyways :(

I'd buy one in a minute if it still had the straight 6 power plant. Seems to me that all the Manuf. that built the L6, all went away from them? Good low end torque, motor will run forever if taken care of.

Reactions: 04 LJ
I'd buy one in a minute if it still had the straight 6 power plant. Seems to me that all the Manuf. that built the L6, all went away from them? Good low end torque, motor will run forever if taken care of.
You wouldn't want more horse power and torque?

Cummins still builds a straight 6, albeit a diesel. Many other manufactures still do, toyota is putting one in their 2020 Supra...

You wouldn't want more horse power and torque?

Cummins still builds a straight 6, albeit a diesel. Many other manufactures still do, toyota is putting one in their 2020 Supra...
Sure. would love to see Jeep put a cummins in. Dont know why they haven't thought of that or at least made it an option.

Sure. would love to see Jeep put a cummins in. Dont know why they haven't thought of that or at least made it an option.
Oh, I didnt mean that I thought a cummins should be offered in a TJ/LJ. I was just saying that a lot of manufacturers still offer straight 6’s...

I was asking if you would rather have the 4.0 or would you want “something” with more than 190 horsepower?

I'm confused. They do sell the current version of the TJ and have since 2007, it is just referred to as the 2 door JL and JK. If you meant sell an actual TJ today, that is a paradox since it won't and can't meet crash standards or emissions. Not sure where to go after that since it would be like trying to drive a Roxor on the street. Not gonna happen.

Oh, I didnt mean that I thought a cummins should be offered in a TJ/LJ. I was just saying that a lot of manufacturers still offer straight 6’s...

I was asking if you would rather have the 4.0 or would you want “something” with more than 190 horsepower?
Unlike most, I accept that the 4.0 is in the TJ. I don't accept that it is a good power plant. It is heavy, inefficient, under powered, and large for what it does. Good riddance.

I'm confused. They do sell the current version of the TJ and have since 2007, it is just referred to as the 2 door JL and JK. If you meant sell an actual TJ today, that is a paradox since it won't and can't meet crash standards or emissions. Not sure where to go after that since it would be like trying to drive a Roxor on the street. Not gonna happen.
You mention emissions because the 4.0 couldnt pass the stricter standards of today?

Well sure I would. As long as they did it in a L6 or at least an American made and manufactured motor. You can get power out these old boat anchors. just need to know what your doing. Jeep could do the same if they wanted to. but they went with the dodge caravan V6 3.8 in 07. friend of mine has one in a Rubicon. Burns a quart of oil every other fill up, had to change the catalytic converter already, due to clogging... motor built in Mexico. Common problem: the dopes installed the piston rings upside down, and they won't stand behind their mistake, look it up.
Now since 2013 they have a Fiat 3.6, haven't heard of any inherent problems, but haven't looked for any either. Won't buy one cause Fiat never could build a motor.
We can bust on these old motors all we want, but I want to see these 3.6's at 300,000 mi. then I'll be a believer.

Well sure I would. As long as they did it in a L6 or at least an American made and manufactured motor. You can get power out these old boat anchors. just need to know what your doing. Jeep could do the same if they wanted to. but they went with the dodge caravan V6 3.8 in 07. friend of mine has one in a Rubicon. Burns a quart of oil every other fill up, had to change the catalytic converter already, due to clogging... motor built in Mexico. Common problem: the dopes installed the piston rings upside down, and they won't stand behind their mistake, look it up.
Now since 2013 they have a Fiat 3.6, haven't heard of any inherent problems, but haven't looked for any either. Won't buy one cause Fiat never could build a motor.
We can bust on these old motors all we want, but I want to see these 3.6's at 300,000 mi. then I'll be a believer.
Or, just or, they could have taken a page out of the book from GM and built something like the 4600 in the Trailblazer. BMW has very nice inline motors.

But, for every 3.8 motor out there that has a problem, you can likely put a 4.0 in the column across from it with an unsolvable misfire, cracked 0331 head, broken piston skirt, weak valve springs, low oil pressure, and more.