If Jeep still built the TJ today

About the only thing it really has going for it. It is reliable and simple, generally.
The basic reason I wanted it. I'm still pleased with that aspect. But I'm only at 73,000 miles. I'm sure the tranny and other things will go long before the motor.

Reactions: Hook_62
Or, just or, they could have taken a page out of the book from GM and built something like the 4600 in the Trailblazer. BMW has very nice inline motors.

But, for every 3.8 motor out there that has a problem, you can likely put a 4.0 in the column across from it with an unsolvable misfire, cracked 0331 head, broken piston skirt, weak valve springs, low oil pressure, and more.
True. I use to have one of those Trailblazers. Traded her in at 200,000 mi. still ran like the day I bought it. Think that motor went to the wayside also?
I have a spare motor 99 4.0 I picked up with 180,000 mi for $275. tore it down a few weeks ago, you can still see the crosshatch hone marks in the cylinders, no ring ridge. all 6 cylinders mic out standard within .002 of standard bore 3.875. going to use the same pistons re-ring/main/rod bearings. I will port/polish and port match the head (DIY), use polished S.S. Chevy oversized valves and heavier 114 lb. valve springs with Howard's Cam Street Force 1. No reprogramming required. Only thing I can't do is the machine work. Can build this for approx. $1500 - 1600 machine work included. I looked specifically for this year to stay away from the 0331 head, no crank or cam sensors to deal with, no coil pack and a fraction of ECM programming as the newer 4.0. Syked Pro Tuning makes a good package that I could get if the changes I've made don't put a smile on my face. I'm all about saving money,,, 3 teenagers, wallet is always empty if I don't keep it close, hell the wife even steals my cash! 😏

I want my bmw 335d diesel motor in a TJ. Talk about HP and torque. How does 325/450 sound. You would have to gear it correctly. But I believe you could make a hell of an off-roader that gets over 30mpg as daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my bmw 335d diesel motor in a TJ. Talk about HP and torque. How does 325/450 sound. You would have to gear it correctly. But I believe you could make a hell of an off-roader that gets over 30mpg as daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonder how hard that would be to pull off. Have seen the Cummins 4BT install. Also a VW TDI diesel.

If I ever get to where I need to replace the engine in mine, I hope electric will be a viable option. No transmission, simplified transfer case, fast, slow and torquey, customizable weight distribution, clean, quiet, cargo space under the hood...

That is what the alternate future TJ should look like.

The clown at the Dodge Jeep Ram dealer tried to sell me a new 4 door JK because it'll "hold its value better" than a 2 door.

I don't think he deals with many true Jeep people. I couldn't help but laugh.

Jeeps were always very utilitarian and basic up until the yj era . They sold , and were loved.

Today the 4 door reigns supreme , and up to 2018 the JK Wrangler sold twice the numbers the TJ did when you combine the 2 and 4 door versions for those years (1.8 million)

Interestingly , the JK 2 door hasn't sold like the TJ , but the 4 doors' popularity has more than made up for that .

The reality is the 2 door JK/JL " IS" today's TJ, and no , a more basic , rugged , utilitarian version wouldn't fare any better in today's market .

The TJ was a very successful line , and it actually paved the way to where the Wrangler is today ..it kept the popularity alive , sold nearly 1 million units , and demonstrated that a better driving /riding jeep with more amenities was the right direction for Chrysler/Fiat to go.

The 4 door was inevitable in my opinion , and brilliant.

Jeeps were always very utilitarian and basic up until the yj era . They sold , and were loved.

Today the 4 door reigns supreme , and up to 2018 the JK Wrangler sold twice the numbers the TJ did when you combine the 2 and 4 door versions for those years (1.8 million)

Interestingly , the JK 2 door hasn't sold like the TJ , but the 4 doors' popularity has more than made up for that .

The reality is the 2 door JK/JL " IS" today's TJ, and no , a more basic , rugged , utilitarian version wouldn't fare any better in today's market .

The TJ was a very successful line , and it actually paved the way to where the Wrangler is today ..it kept the popularity alive , sold nearly 1 million units , and demonstrated that a better driving /riding jeep with more amenities was the right direction for Chrysler/Fiat to go.

The 4 door was inevitable in my opinion , and brilliant.
Agreed! Enjoy the TJ for what it is. Simple, semi-classic, and fun.

The basic reason I wanted it. I'm still pleased with that aspect. But I'm only at 73,000 miles. I'm sure the tranny and other things will go long before the motor.
I put a new motor in at 190K miles, the tranny was fine but 80K of those miles were towing a trailer. That was 2 years ago, and the new engine has 42K miles on it now.

I think the TJ would be extinct if they had tried to keep selling it for another 13 years. The JKU was the big Jeep success story. They came close to a 4 door TJ with the Dakar concept just before the Liberty came out.

jeep_dakar_concept_1.jpg

But an updated LJ/Scrambler sure would be nice! I love the extra room of mine vs a TJ.
Honestly I think they would have more success with what you just described than with the 4-door truck.

I know some really accomplished off-road people that think the same thing.

I don't know anybody with a pickup truck that wishes they could remove the top, and I don't know anybody with a 4-door that wishes it had a bed.

Well... back in 2003 you could buy a TJ rubicon with a hard top and a few other options for $27,615. Based on inflation they would sell for $37,937 today.
The biggest problem they have though is the TJ only came with 2 doors.

When I bought my 03 SE. the Rubicon sitting next to it was $45,000.

so of course being as broke as I was I bought the $17,000 jeep

No way! Most folks couldn’t live without the creature comforts of modern Jeeps and a place to put the car seats and crap from Home Depot.

Agreed. There was a guy on Tacoma World the other day complaining about having to unlock the door on his SR with a key.
There are people driving today who have never had to hand-crank a window. Crazy.

Agreed. There was a guy on Tacoma World the other day complaining about having to unlock the door on his SR with a key.
There are people driving today who have never had to hand-crank a window. Crazy.
Windows cranks are great IMO. Power windows, while convenient, have better places than in Wranglers.

Reactions: Midwest
I realize I am in the honeymoon phase of Jeep ownership but I love this thing.
Except for the transmission.
And the SJ lift.

Isn't the Roxor a rebadged TJ? With a diesel?

You can drive an ATV\UTV on roads under 35 mph in many states (ID & MT to name a couple). Yet I still don't see Roxors driving around. No problem finding a $25k Canam or Rzr though.

Sales tell it all

'87 YJ 30K
'97 TJ 82K
'06 TJ 80K
'08 JK/JKU 119K
'18 JK/JKU 240K

The JKU was/is a real success story.
I doubt Jeep will ever build anything as basic as the YJ/TJ again.
The JKU was a response to focus groups telling Jeep what they wanted.
There are not enough of us who want another TJ.

Be glad for the mall crawlers who drive the after market.
I'm betting most Wranglers, even modified ones never leave the road.

Sales tell it all

'87 YJ 30K
'97 TJ 82K
'06 TJ 80K
'08 JK/JKU 119K
'18 JK/JKU 240K

The JKU was/is a real success story.
I doubt Jeep will ever build anything as basic as the YJ/TJ again.
The JKU was a response to focus groups telling Jeep what they wanted.
There are not enough of us who want another TJ.

Be glad for the mall crawlers who drive the after market.
I'm betting most Wranglers, even modified ones never leave the road.

I think there’s more to the story than raw sales numbers, from which any number of conclusions can be drawn - not to mention the market expanded from 2door to 4 door owners (more than doubling the desirable market). There may be a relativity factor here, meaning to suggest there may be a correlation of Wrangler sales to migration patterns, income growth, etc. Of course, I think the 4 door is a big way to open the market to many (my wife often comments I should have bought a 4 door, until I educate her why I didn’t).