If Jeep still built the TJ today

No way! Most folks couldn’t live without the creature comforts of modern Jeeps and a place to put the car seats and crap from Home Depot.
Yup. JK’s and JKU’s are soccer mom vehicles around here

0462D9D3-6B1F-4F0A-8AF2-AD1A8B0213CD.jpeg

Well... back in 2003 you could buy a TJ rubicon with a hard top and a few other options for $27,615. Based on inflation they would sell for $37,937 today.
The biggest problem they have though is the TJ only came with 2 doors.

Not a chance. They don’t have 4-doors and the SUV appeal.

Look at the number of 4-doors they sell versus 2-doors. The 2-doors are almost nonexistent anymore.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Agree with the above comments. No way it would sell as good today. Folks want all the creature comforts and for the most part 4 doors.

I think most of us around here would sell our current TJ if we could buy a brand new one for say $30k.

But since that won’t happen, I think a 2dr JL Sport or Sport+ is about as close as we will ever get. You can buy one on the low to mid $30s. Not cheap but even a camry is $30k+ these days.

They might not have lockers (unless you buy a $43k+ Rubicon) but they have a lot going for them one they work out the rest of the new model JL kinks.

I would consider selling my TJ for one some day...maybe. (But would rather have both). Don’t care for the computer crap, but would like to have a quieter, more powerful, power windowed Jeep with better stock ground clearance, better axles and better engineered suspension and better brakes. I’d pass on all the fancy safety nannies for sure.

Last edited:
I never understood why so many SUVs. Patriot, Compass, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Renegade, etc.
I think an even smaller version, affordable TJ would be nice.

I think every company does that

Honda - Pilot, Odyssey, Element, CR-V, Passport
Toyota - RAV4, 4Runner, Highlander, Sequioa
Nissan - Rogue, Pathfinder, Murano
Ford - Escape, Expedition, Explorer, Edge, Flex, Ecosport
Chevy - Trax, Equinox, Traverse, Blazer, Tahoe, Suburban
Subaru - don't even get me started!

I suppose it all has to do with size, price range, trim options and luxury "features". I am really lost seeing all the SUVs on road today. Every single company out there, including Jeep, does it.

Last edited:
I think every company does that

Honda - Pilot, Odyssey, Element, CR-V, Passport
Toyota - RAV4, 4Runner, Highlander, Sequioa
Nissan - Rogue, Pathfinder, Murano
Ford - Escape, Expedition, Explorer, Edge, Flex, Ecosport
Chevy - Trax, Equinox, Traverse, Blazer, Tahoe, Suburban
Subaru - don't even get me started!

I suppose it all has to do with size, price range, trim options and luxury "features". I am really lost seeing all the SUVs on road today. Every single company out there, including Jeep, does it.

Not to discount the lineup reflecting a trend, but I don’t qualify even half of those as SUVs. If you sit “down” in it, it’s a crossover.

Reactions: AndyG
mde8965 wrote: “I think most of us around here would sell our current TJ if we could buy a brand new one for say $30k.”

Disagree. Unless it’s your primary vehicle, then I understand. I drive mine to get away from my ‘mannerly’ Silverado that rides like a luxury car- kind of sad but was necessary to accomodate the crew. The Jeep is, even with a few creature comforts and dreaded pollution controls, my little throwback to the military, first cars, and reminds me of the 60’s & 70’s and what I think was a great time to grow up. Damn hippies! Not a fan of how the Wrangler has developed. And a smaller version of the TJ? That’s a Geo Tracker! (my ‘95, loved that thing)

5DD5F1D5-1693-46CB-9517-9F17638E4109.jpeg

Reactions: billiebob
I do give the Jeep engineers a lot of respect, they are building the new Wranglers with offroaders in mind. Dana engineers have been busy keeping the Dana 44 up to date/beefier and is getting close to a 3/4 ton axle rather than a 1/2 ton axle.

The JK/JKU crowd really ramped up the offroad third party companies to engineer and build aftermarket parts which IMO turns into some new engineering/build support to trinkle down to the YJ, TJ, and LJ crowd. For that, I welcome them.

The sheer amount of people that now wheel their JK/JKU's continues to further support our OHV/ORV parks/trails to remain open for us TJ/LJ folks to enjoy, which is huge for us that enjoy trail riding.

Last edited:
I see maybe 2 or 3 TJ's and rarely see ones that are stock.
Not always a good thing. I wish more TJ's/LK's were left stock. Too many people adding and bolting on stuff that does not compliment the factory TJ/LJ. My biggest irritation is when people scrrew stuff into the plastic dash, it's hard to find those pieces in great shape these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and KCsTJ