If Nissan made a turbo diesel style Jeep the Patrol Would you buy it?

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
In the rest of the World Nissan released a 4x4 called the Patrol GQ. It competed for the rest world 4x4 segment and it's main competition is Toyota. In lot these markets the Jeep was hard to find and rarely available. Also the pecking order for these markets we're Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Jeep. Toyota made the FJ and it was a mildly success in the US and the biggest draw back was the front end IFS. In Australia the Nissan Patrol GQ is #1 4x4 in the market. The many engine variant really gave the consumer many options to set up their 4x4. Your typical gas i6 and i6 turbo diesel. These two we're the most popular engine over the 79 years of production since 1951.

Now that Jeep Wrangler is losing its monopoly of the topless 4x4 segment and release of the Ford Bronco is coming out. Is there room for Japanese JDM competition Jeep 4x4 live axle segment? Would you buy a Nissan Patrol convertible 4x4 live axles I6 Turbo diesel or I6 gas?

Here is 70's version:

NissanPatrol.jpg

A Nissan Patrol racing a Lamborghini at 14:30 video mark. Has Wrangler ever done that?

Last edited:
I have some friends with current era grey market import Nissan Patrols that came into the US via Canada. Very capable vehicles .

Too bad Nissan can't figure out how to get out of its own way financially. In its current state Nissan couldn't bring the Patrol to the US even if it wanted to.

Here's a video I found showing a Patrol at Moab:

And here's the Patrol owned by an Aussie who rented a room in the condo I booked at Moab for a Nissan offroading event in 2017. He is in the offroad lighting business and is currently based in Tennessee. Nice fellow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaptainkid1
Would I buy a new Nissan, no. No foreign cars, ya I know they are all world cars now with factories everywhere and it may be totally irrational but that's where I am today.

Did you know that Nissan Xterras were manufactured in Smyrna, Tennessee from 1999 to 2012 and in Canton, Mississippi from 2012–2015, and never in Japan?

Reactions: Squatch
Did you know that Nissan Xterras were manufactured in Smyrna, Tennessee from 1999 to 2012 and in Canton, Mississippi from 2012–2015, and never in Japan?
I do like Xterras and didn't know that. I also tried to be clear about the irrational part. After all it says Damiler on my door jamb.

The Patrol is a very capable vehicle.

I just like the ability to go fully topless. Not like the Bronco, or the 4Runner Blazer, etcetera

Jeep has always had the fully convertible aspect. The bikini is great on those sunny days. But there are days when I just want to bare it all.

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73
We will see.

Five days and counting until the unmasking.

Seriously. This isn't a coronavirus joke. Unless it turns out that it is.

https://www.ford.com/bronco/

If you have the money to spend, I think it will be one hell of a vehicle!

Sure, it doesn't have a solid axle in the front, but I'm not sure that's necessary for most people (plus, you know they'll have kits available within a year).

The kicker is, DO NOT buy the first year. Rumor has it they are making a Warthog (not a Raptor) version that will be 400HP and be built with the "crawler" in mind.

Reactions: thuddles
. . . DO NOT buy the first year. Rumor has it they are making a Warthog (not a Raptor) version that will be 400HP and be built with the "crawler" in mind.

They said don't buy the 1964 1/2 Mustang.

My dad didn't listen and bought my mother a 1964 1/2 Mustang, Springtime Yellow with Parchment interior, black vinyl roof, factory A/C, 4bbl 289 V-8, 4-speed stickshift and posi-traction axle. It was the first Mustang our local Ford dealer had ever seen. My father had it restored to new a few years before my mother passed. After my mother stopped driving it went to my sister.

I double dog dare you to tell me the original purchase was a mistake.

Besides, I'm not interested in a Bronco as a crawler or ersatz drag car. The new Bronco interests me as an all purpose daily driver, go to mountains and lake, road trip rig with overlanding potential - something to replace my Xterra.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Sancho
They said don't buy the 1964 1/2 Mustang.

My dad didn't listen and bought my mother a 1964 1/2 Mustang, Springtime Yellow with Parchment interior, black vinyl roof, factory A/C, 4bbl 289 V-8, 4-speed stickshift and posi-traction axle. It was the first Mustang our local Ford dealer had ever seen. My father had it restored to new a few years before my mother passed. After my mother stopped driving it went to my sister.

I double dog dare you to tell me the original purchase was a mistake.

Besides, I'm not interested in a Bronco as a crawler or ersatz drag car. The new Bronco interests me as an all purpose daily driver, go to mountains and lake, road trip rig with overlanding potential - something to replace my Xterra.
Wait, you’re actually going to compare a 64 1/2 Mustang to a brand new Bronco?

Sorry, but those two aren’t even in the realm of being the same. 60 years from now that mass produced Bronco will not be a collectible.

But hey, if that’s what you have to tell yourself to justify spending that much money on one, by all means, keep tootin’ your own horn 😉

Might as well tell me a 2007 JK Rubicon will someday be a collectible 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Wait, you’re actually going to compare a 64 1/2 Mustang to a brand new Bronco?

Sorry, but those two aren’t even in the realm of being the same. 60 years from now that mass produced Bronco will not be a collectible.

But hey, if that’s what you have to tell yourself to justify spending that much money on one, by all means, keep tootin’ your own horn 😉

Might as well tell me a 2007 JK Rubicon will someday be a collectible 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dude, in 1964 nobody was thinking about collectible Mustangs.

It was you who said, "DO NOT buy the first year. " As you can see, you were quite emphatic about it. And with all due respect, you are the guy who brought up collectibles.

I simply relayed a story that exemplifies why following the oft repeated adage "never buy the first year of a new model" isn't always the best course of action. My father didn't buy that Mustang to make money, and I never said anything to suggest that I was interested in a new Bronco as a collectible. My father bought that car for my mother because he knew she would love it. It was the first new car he ever purchased. Until then he always bought used which made it even more special to her.

You ARE being defensive these days. Its making you jump to unwarranted conclusions. Time to take a drive without the wife or kids. I'm sure we can all put our heads together and come up with a plausible excuse if you like.

Given that I try to buy as local as possible and my dad worked for Chrysler for 40+ years and I work for GM and none of my friends relatives or neighbors work for Nissan. The answer is no. Cool vehicles, but no. I realize not all American cars are built in America and a lot of “foreign “ cars are built in America but GM Ford and Chrysler (less so) are American companies and I’m in Michigan so......