If Nissan made a turbo diesel style Jeep the Patrol Would you buy it?

GQ Turbo diesel Patrols (we call them Safaris) in NZ are known to be kettles that overheat on the most minor inclines.
In saying that, I think its because they're all owned by young "boyracers*" that traded in their skylines when the cops cracked down on them, as a result, they're not well kept. They also come with the stigma of being owned by Bogans. First mods are external wastegates and loud blow of valves.

GU Patrols are worth a fortune because they're still the best for overland type off roading - capable and reliable.
As a result haven't made it into the hands of young and reckless youths.

I say all of this as young(ish) and reckless youth who would be a huge fan of the patrols otherwise.

That's why I have my Jeep, I like different, but I do envy the diesel and the stock axles are more of a Dana 60 size/spline count. The Patrol axles have found their way under a few TJs for that reason.

GQ Turbo diesel Patrols (we call them Safaris) in NZ are known to be kettles that overheat on the most minor inclines.
In saying that, I think its because they're all owned by young "boyracers*" that traded in their skylines when the cops cracked down on them, as a result, they're not well kept. They also come with the stigma of being owned by Bogans. First mods are external wastegates and loud blow of valves.

GU Patrols are worth a fortune because they're still the best for overland type off roading - capable and reliable.
As a result haven't made it into the hands of young and reckless youths.

I say all of this as young(ish) and reckless youth who would be a huge fan of the patrols otherwise.

That's why I have my Jeep, I like different, but I do envy the diesel and the stock axles are more of a Dana 60 size/spline count. The Patrol axles have found their way under a few TJs for that reason.

What did he say?!😂

What did he say?!😂

Me or the video?

I was going to re word my comments, but then thought na, we're talking about NZ/Aus 4wd, so I'll use our terms. Haha

As for the guy in the video - Urban dictionary "Bogan" and you'll see why GQ Patrols have been ruined for me....

And I should have added, all things equal in terms of time and effort, I think the TJ would out wheel the Patrol.
And I'd choose a TJ over one any day.

Me or the video?

I was going to re word my comments, but then thought na, we're talking about NZ/Aus 4wd, so I'll use our terms. Haha

As for the guy in the video - Urban dictionary "Bogan" and you'll see why GQ Patrols have been ruined for me....

And I should have added, all things equal in terms of time and effort, I think the TJ would out wheel the Patrol.
And I'd choose a TJ over one any day.
Not you, the guy in the video. He was speaking English but I only understood about half of what he said.
Awesome 4x4, I really like that style/size of truck, whoever makes it.

Reactions: JoshNZ
Yea, typical Patrol owner...

Its a 90s Nissan patrol. They come short and long wheel based versions, lwb come with a normal or high roof option. And they're prime candidates of having the rear chopped off and a "ute" tray with a canopy installed.

I see the "overland" trend is quite big now in the States, but Patrol and Land Cruisers have been doing it for decades, and will go off grid (proper, Australian off grid) for a few weeks at a time.

Not my type of 4wheeling, but impressive none the less

1594257985281.png

Dude, in 1964 nobody was thinking about collectible Mustangs.

It was you who said, "DO NOT buy the first year. " As you can see, you were quite emphatic about it. And with all due respect, you are the guy who brought up collectibles.

I simply relayed a story that exemplifies why following the oft repeated adage "never buy the first year of a new model" isn't always the best course of action. My father didn't buy that Mustang to make money, and I never said anything to suggest that I was interested in a new Bronco as a collectible. My father bought that car for my mother because he knew she would love it. It was the first new car he ever purchased. Until then he always bought used which made it even more special to her.

You ARE being defensive these days. Its making you jump to unwarranted conclusions. Time to take a drive without the wife or kids. I'm sure we can all put our heads together and come up with a plausible excuse if you like.

Yea, typical Patrol owner...

Its a 90s Nissan patrol. They come short and long wheel based versions, lwb come with a normal or high roof option. And they're prime candidates of having the rear chopped off and a "ute" tray with a canopy installed.

I see the "overland" trend is quite big now in the States, but Patrol and Land Cruisers have been doing it for decades, and will go off grid (proper, Australian off grid) for a few weeks at a time.

Not my type of 4wheeling, but impressive none the less

View attachment 175468
So your very familiar with Nissan Patrol product. I'm sure you remember the 1970's Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 which where sold in US and we're very popular and pretty much a knock off the Jeep Wrangler.
Honestly if Toyota or Nissan put out a nice topless modern Jeep style 4x4 the market would buy them like crazy. I just think the US market is dying for an awesome JDM Jeep style 4x4 2 and 4 door topless of course.
All I read about the Nissan Patrol Specs is they had amazing engine options, big beefy live axles and great drive trains/TCase. The recipe for an awesome 4x4.

ebay148757414850886.jpg
20-2136M2.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly if Toyota or Nissan put out a nice topless modern Jeep style 4x4 the market would buy them like crazy. I just think the US market is dying an awesome JDM Jeep style 4x4 2 and 4 door topless of course.
All I read about the Nissan Patrol Specs is they had amazing engine options, big beefy live axles and great drive trains/TCase. The recipe for an awesome 4x4.

They don't exist in NZ/Aus or Japan anymore though.
New Land cruisers are luxury SUVs I think you get the Lexus variant?
New Patrols are luxury SUVs. I think they are Armadas over there?

You can still but new 70 series land cruisers, but they are predominantly aimed as commercial vehicles that people spend a lot of money on to make them off road/overlanding rigs.

The old 60/80 series Land Cruisers and GQ Patrols were definetly the last of the robust reliable, solid axle 4x4s
The 100 series and GU Patrols kept the robust, reliable, solid axle, but moved to be more comfort orientated.
500,000kms is "just broken in" on one of the old diesels. Or so they say

I think TJs are in a league of their own as they kept the open top/solid axle design long enough to make into the "modern" error, but before SUVs became the be all end all.

It'd be cool to have more options, but I'd still prefer my TJ over a JL for weekend adventures. Maybe if I had to daily drive it I'd think differently.

Murican only 4 me.

Nissan made warplanes that bombed Pearl Harbor.

You want to buy American Only? Well Fiat owns Jeeps now so you're really buying and owning an Italy car company now. Funny how life changes. Honestly my last Nissan was a piece of Junk and dealing with Corporate made me so upset that I said I wouldn't want to spend any more money on Nissan products every again. Until I realized not all Nissan are built like crap. My love for a good product out ways the shitty experience. Like the GTR and 240z. I'm big fan besides the many 70's love for Datsuns.

Last edited:
You want to buy American Only? Well Fiat owns Jeeps now so you're really buying and owning an Italy car company now. Funny how life changes. Honestly my last Nissan was a piece of Junk and dealing with Corporate made me so upset that I said I wouldn't want to spend any more money on Nissan products every again. Until I realized not all Nissan are b uilt like crap. My love for a good product out ways the shitty experience. Like the GTR and 240z. I'm big fan besides the many 70's love for Datsuns.

i dont plan on buying another jeep... so dont really care about the Fiat thing.

But yes... buying american is a high priorty for me.

Crest over Colgate.

Be careful what you wish for. The new Partol is IFS has a nice v8 but is bloated and nothing like what it used to be. Supposed to be a luxury 4wd but compared to the inside of the latest Gladiator I looked at last week its more like walking into the cheap brothel.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Here is why the Nissan Patrol 79 year production line is just as cool as the Wrangler or better!
Jump to 14:30 mark to watch a Nissan Patrol kill a Lamborghini.

Last edited:
I had a Nissan Hardbody for over a decade. Design was amazing. Need room in the frame to pull a starter? Frame is formed with a relief to make it easy. I remember helping my neighbor replace a starter in a Chevy. Had to pull a motor mount and jack the engine (454 that made less power than my I6 does) what a nightmare. Same for everything on that Nissan. Super easy to work on. Buy a NEW one? Nope. Wouldn't buy a new anything. Despise all the Gov't nannies on new vehicles. Nissan built a great 4 cyl diesel they used in forklifts I ran many years ago. Adding urea is stupid. And this country is back to destroying the diesel engine like they did in the 70's and 80's. I don't think a better vehicle than a TJ will ever be built for sale in this country. I'm not a car guy so I won't speak to that, but all these modern trucks are so oversized and overpriced its ridiculous. They cost more than my house. And still fall apart as soon as the warentee ends.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
I had a Nissan Hardbody for over a decade. Design was amazing. Need room in the frame to pull a starter? Frame is formed with a relief to make it easy. I remember helping my neighbor replace a starter in a Chevy. Had to pull a motor mount and jack the engine (454 that made less power than my I6 does) what a nightmare. Same for everything on that Nissan. Super easy to work on.

I remember seeing several things like that on my Skyline and thinking "Hmm, that's nice. Wish they would have done that on my Ford." Then again, I've seen some of the new Nissan stuff and wonder if all those old engineers died off in the early 2000's lol.