If not Idaho how about Douglas WY?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
"If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible and feel free to let me know if you have any questions. "

So I sent a reply...

Last edited:
I sent it at midnight because I couldn't sleep. Showed it to a paralegal friend who said, "Oof. That's a good 'fuck-off' letter". I certainly didn't intend it that way! I was wanting to express my concerns and see what could be done about them - I am interested in the position.

So I talked with my Job and Family Services Vet Rep and he got super excited when I sent him the e-mail and he read it. He basically said this is my opportunity. Yes, it's temp/seasonal, but these are the kind of jobs that if they like you, they find a way to keep you. It's also that all-important experience I need for my resume.

I brought up that getting out there would be tough, financially, as well as getting back here if I don't find something permanent. That's when he told me he could get me gas cards through Vet Services to get me there and back if needed as well as some free hotel stays.

Last edited:
After I finished with JFS guy, I called and left a voicemail as well as sent another e-mail saying to disregard most of my previous e-mail as there are resources available that I wasn't aware of. lol I hope I haven't stepped on my dick in all of this.

So now, this position looks a lot better than before! My only concern is if I can't find something permanent and have to come back - my Library job won't be available (at least I can't imagine it would be) so I'd be unemployed and looking again.

But... Nothing worth having ever came without risk.

I'd pretty much just throw my essentials into my Jeep and hoof it out there. Clothes, computer, toiletries, etc. Wouldn't need anything significant since the apartments are furnished. Almost like being in the Army again.

So, I'm going to give him another call around 1:00 and see if I can get a hold of him.

So, anyone from Douglas, WY or the area have some info on the area? lol

You're in the old catch-22 right now with respect to experience. If you really want to move out west, I would seriously consider this position. Once you are there, you will have more opportunities come your way. Cheaper housing plus fire assignments means that you could save some cash for when you're not working this position.

Last edited:
I agree, I would really consider it. You have to start somewhere even if it is temporary. I've spent a ton of time in Douglas. Its open prairie. Casper Mountain isn't far, the Big Horn Mtns are only a few hours north. Its a small town, not a whole lot to offer (in terms of entertainment and nightlife) but for an outdoorsman there is plenty of hunting and fishing. Casper Mountain has a small ski resort. I had an apartment in Casper which is only 40 miles west, IIRC it was 2200 sq feet and cost $700 a month. It may be a little more affordable in Douglas. Lots of oil and gas development in that area, and coal. Its windy AF. Its also home to the jackelope.

Who says you have to go back if it doesn't turn into a permanent position, while you’re there you should keep looking. Get your fire qualifications and go on fire assignments, If that’s possible it will open more doors on other forests.

Reactions: lowranger
Who says you have to go back if it doesn't turn into a permanent position, while you’re there you should keep looking. Get your fire qualifications and go on fire assignments, If that’s possible it will open more doors on other forests.

That's great and all, but I have a relatively significant physical disability thanks to an IED in Afghanistan.

6384371097_24229ed7c9_b.jpg

I can't run and going up-hill can be difficult. As well as I can only go about 6 miles on my ankle before it swells up too much and hurts too much to walk on.

That's great and all, but I have a relatively significant physical disability thanks to an IED in Afghanistan.

View attachment 148674

I can't run and going up-hill can be difficult. As well as I can only go about 6 miles on my ankle before it swells up too much and hurts too much to walk on.

I guess you could say we’re both screwed when it comes to running and uphill walking, but my pain is gone now.
Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

3276BE0F-CA3C-474B-BB55-5BD8F1582CA6.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CybrSlydr
The surgery was 12/19/2019 that was a progress image, the Doctor let me start bearing weight the next day.

Took six months before they'd let me do weight bearing on mine. That sucked. Significant leg muscle atrophy because of it.

6198446456_785145b2d4_b.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney
Don't give up on the idea of fire assignments. There are a bunch of administrative jobs available at camp. Logistics, supply, GIS/mapping and basically anything that is needed for an Incident Command System.

And since I know you're a fellow Pioneer, have you reached out to MC's Geology Department? I would imagine that they could help you locate opportunities out west.

Don't give up on the idea of fire assignments. There are a bunch of administrative jobs available at camp. Logistics, supply, GIS/mapping and basically anything that is needed for an Incident Command System.

And since I know you're a fellow Pioneer, have you reached out to MC's Geology Department? I would imagine that they could help you locate opportunities out west.

Two of my former instructors are references. :D

A lot of the positions they know about are local energy industry positions, which I'm specifically trying to avoid due to the boom-bust nature of the industry (as we're seeing now). I'd take less pay for more job security.

I lived in Cody for a few years straight out of college, which is up in the NW corner near Yellowstone in the mountains. I lived in KY my whole life and just knew I wanted to move somewhere West, and jumped at the first opportunity I had to go there, no knowing anything about Wyoming.

I loved every bit of it and I've thought many times about moving back there. While Douglas is pretty different from Cody as far as topography goes, if you're working in fire then you'll potentially have opportunities to travel all over the state. The Bighorn mountains are solid. The Absarokas are solid. The Beartooths are solid. And while all those places are several hours away, they're worth it. Coming from out East, one thing I didn't realize about the West is just how much public/ BLM land there is that you can just go out on and do whatever.

The state is full of small towns (<10,000 people) and it's almost like stepping back in time as far as the sense of community, how people interact, the laws and rules, the technology...everything. Not many people can handle all that, but whether you love it or hate it you'll definitely learn something about yourself and what you want/ need/ like.

You can do anything for a couple years, and if it's not what you want then go somewhere else.

Last edited:
I really hope none of the names, companys, places are real cuz all this is easily accessed by potential employers and your internet fingerprint can decide your future.

edit, all I can say is WOW !! I'm an old fucker, my career is pretty much retirement. I think you need better career advice and you need to be concerned about your cyber footprint.

Last edited:
I really hope none of the names, companys, places are real cuz all this is easily accessed by potential employers and your internet fingerprint can decide your future.

edit, all I can say is WOW !! I'm an old fucker, my career is pretty much retirement. I think you need better career advice and you need to be concerned about your cyber footprint.
I'm not too worried about it. My Facebook is private, I don't do Twitter, etc. Besides, anything I posted they already know - it's nothing new to them.

But, just to be safe, I redacted the names.

Spoke with the hiring manager again as I had a few questions. Hopefully I'll hear something in early April.

Reactions: tworley
Quick copy/paste from the Good News thread to keep this one up to date...

Actually have some good news to post! Got a tentative job offer for a Minerals Physical Science Tech with the Forest Service out in Wyoming today.

It is temp/seasonal, full-time. There are some other openings that I qualify for in the department. Fingers crossed I can parlay this into one of those positions and permanently relocate.

Said it's up to HR now and if I get a formal offer, I should hear from them in a few weeks, maybe less if I'm lucky.

Woo!