"IF" we were thinking of selling our 96 XJ 2-door...

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
Here's it is in a nutshell. We have a '96 XJ 2-door 4.0 automatic. It's currently at 181,000+ miles. It's virtually rust free. Less than 500 miles on Toyo A/T III tires on Canyon wheels, new front brake calipers, rotors, flexible brake hoses, and new pads. All new steering components, save for the steering box. New power steering pump and hoses. New upper and lower control arms (OEM style), including new bushing at the axle. New rear brakes (drums and shoes) for it, but not yet installed. Also new Rancho RS500x shocks (with Rancho's typically shitty/thin paint that is already discoloring from surface rust). No radio (stolen). Manual windows. Runs well, and drives great. A few small dents (very fixable) in the driver's door and front fender. Has A/C, but that's about it for options. Vehicle has never been wheeled. Just a commuter. White with a tan interior. Professionally tinted windows.

If the wife and I were to decide to sell it, we would prefer to see it go to a forum member. And if we were to decide to sell it, we'd want $6,000 for it. I would give you every detail that I know of regarding the vehicle (because there are more details, both good and bad). I would send pics of basically anything requested. I pride myself in my honesty, and would be very upfront about anything regarding the rig.

The question is, would there be any interest among this group? We are not sure we really want to sell it, but knowing it would be going to a good home would help make the decision easier. We've owned it since about 2013, I think. Just putting it out there...

Regards,
Squatch

I keep hearing references to these things going for ridiculous amounts of money. To me, $6000 sounds high, but I also know how solid the vehicle is, and how dependable it's been. We'd only put around 20 miles on it since doing all the work a year ago, and then I put the new tires on it a couple months ago. When we got hit with snow a couple of weeks ago, I fired it up and put over 300 miles on it, like it had just been driven a couple days ago. It never missed a beat. Point is, it's solid, dependable, maintained, and a 2-door. We could just as easily keep it, but there is some temptation to put the money in the bank for future needs. Been doing a lot of that, lately. Just trying to get a feel for the amount of interest, if any, this thing might generate.

Reactions: Alex01 and cliffish
If you decide to list outside of WJTF, I think the level of interest will be very high and you'd leave a lot of change on the table at $6k. Put a seemingly ridiculous price on it, say $11.5k, and see what happens.

If you decide to list outside of WJTF, I think the level of interest will be very high and you'd leave a lot of change on the table at $6k. Put a seemingly ridiculous price on it, say $11.5k, and see what happens.
Holy crap! Ummm...that just seems insane, to me. This thing isn't pristine, by any stretch. I guess I'm going to have to start looking into what these things are actually going for. I know that on the east coast, this thing would be considered a real jewel. On the left coast, I'd say it's a bit above average. Still, that kind of money is nuts. Sheesh!

Got any pics?
Only some old ones of it in the snow (from a couple of years ago). These are from before the new tires on Canyons. I'll need to take some more pics, if there's any interest.
Snow day.jpg
XJ in snow 2.jpg

I have a 99 sport 4.0 auto 4 door XJ. I bought it used and while it was overall in ok shape, it needed a ton of general maintenance. I paid 3500 for it and dropped about another 1500 getting it in good shape. (Fluids, new springs, good tires, running down electrical problems, stuff like that) For a well taken care of 2 door, I don't see 6k as unreasonable at all. I'd probably ask for 7.5 or 8k and see if I could get 7 for it.

Reactions: AMS417 and Squatch
I don't think $6000 is unreasonable in todays market. I sold my 98 XJ in late 2019 for $4500. It sold it within 10 minutes of the ad hitting Facebook. I should have asked for more : ). It had 148k on it but ran well. It was rust free and I would have given the body about a 6/10 rating. It had a couple of small dents here and there but nothing severe. The suspension was mostly original and was going to need some attention. It sounds like yours in better condition and 2 doors are a bit more rare. Personally if you list it to for sale to and unknown home I'd ask for at least at $8k.

Reactions: Squatch
I have a 99 sport 4.0 auto 4 door XJ. I bought it used and while it was overall in ok shape, it needed a ton of general maintenance. I paid 3500 for it and dropped about another 1500 getting it in good shape. (Fluids, new springs, good tires, running down electrical problems, stuff like that) For a well taken care of 2 door, I don't see 6k as unreasonable at all. I'd probably ask for 7.5 or 8k and see if I could get 7 for it.
I don't think $6000 is unreasonable in todays market. I sold my 98 XJ in late 2019 for $4500. It sold it within 10 minutes of the ad hitting Facebook. I should have asked for more : ). It had 148k on it but ran well. It was rust free and I would have given the body about a 6/10 rating. It had a couple of small dents here and there but nothing severe. The suspension was mostly original and was going to need some attention. It sounds like yours in better condition and 2 doors are a bit more rare. Personally if you list it to for sale to and unknown home I'd ask for at least at $8k.
Thanks, guys. I still plan on doing some basic clean-up to it, just because. Whether we sell it or keep it, there are some things I want to tidy up. I do appreciate the advice from all the folks who have taken the time to comment.

Reactions: 97TJNM
@Squatch. Posting up some current pics would help. I'm not going to buy it, but seeing it would give an idea how much you might ask for it. I look at XJ's and TJ's daily on FB marketplace Here in WA. On the W side of WA I see cheaper prices on TJ's than on the E side. I haven't figured out why. XJ prices seem random. Not many have a good paint job. The interiors on most of them are trashed.

@Squatch. Posting up some current pics would help. I'm not going to buy it, but seeing it would give an idea how much you might ask for it. I look at XJ's and TJ's daily on FB marketplace Here in WA. On the W side of WA I see cheaper prices on TJ's than on the E side. I haven't figured out why. XJ prices seem random. Not many have a good paint job. The interiors on most of them are trashed.
Yeah, I definitely need to get some recent pics. The interior isn't trashed, though the driver's seat isn't great. Headliner finally started drooping within the past year, and the carpet got dirty when the thief stole it (don't know where the hell he was walking, but he tracked mud and shit all over the carpet). Both of those are fairly easy fixes. I had the headliner out a couple years ago, when we installed a factory roof rack from another XJ. Would be fairly simple to re-glue the material, I would imagine. Paint is pretty decent, too.

Reactions: JMT
Yeah, I definitely need to get some recent pics. The interior isn't trashed, though the driver's seat isn't great. Headliner finally started drooping within the past year, and the carpet got dirty when the thief stole it (don't know where the hell he was walking, but he tracked mud and shit all over the carpet). Both of those are fairly easy fixes. I had the headliner out a couple years ago, when we installed a factory roof rack from another XJ. Would be fairly simple to re-glue the material, I would imagine. Paint is pretty decent, too.
For sure fix the small stuff. I'd probably buy a cheap pioneer stereo and some halfway decent seat covers too. Believe it or not, the Rough Country neoprene seat covers fit and look amazing. Legitimately they are probably the most bang for the buck "cosmetic mod" I did to mine. Worth thinking about if spending an extra few hundred bucks on the small stuff can recoup you a few k's if you decide to sell it.

For sure fix the small stuff. I'd probably buy a cheap pioneer stereo and some halfway decent seat covers too. Believe it or not, the Rough Country neoprene seat covers fit and look amazing. Legitimately they are probably the most bang for the buck "cosmetic mod" I did to mine. Worth thinking about if spending an extra few hundred bucks on the small stuff can recoup you a few k's if you decide to sell it.
Yeah, even a factory radio to fill the void. And seat covers of some sort isn't a bad idea, either. The seat isn't horrendous, but it definitely isn't a selling point.

Reactions: 97TJNM