"IF" we were thinking of selling our 96 XJ 2-door...

Yeah, even a factory radio to fill the void. And seat covers of some sort isn't a bad idea, either. The seat isn't horrendous, but it definitely isn't a selling point.
The CalTrend seat covers for the TJ were $140, but tight fit and very nice. Not sure what they'd be for an XJ, but I'm going to take a look for my daughters XJ. I'll report back!

CalTrend DuraPlus covers are about $170 for the set. Of course, they are for the 4-door model, but what's new. I'm sure the front seats are the same, and the rear may work. I just don't know.

https://www.carid.com/1996-jeep-che...nd-duraplus-custom-seat-covers-552502638.html
I would think the general shape would be the same, but there may be some differences for the 2-door seats having the mechanism (and associated handles) to tip forward for entry into the back seat. 🤷‍♂️

I would think the general shape would be the same, but there may be some differences for the 2-door seats having the mechanism (and associated handles) to tip forward for entry into the back seat. 🤷‍♂️
That’s true. The front seats do tilt back in the 2-door. 🤨

As a long time XJ owner and NAXJA member I don't think $6k would last a week (with cleanup and a ton of pictures). Definitely join NAXJA and post it there. I know there are a lot of members in the PNW, in fact, they have their own section of the XJ forum.

Reactions: Squatch
As a long time XJ owner and NAXJA member I don't think $6k would last a week (with cleanup and a ton of pictures). Definitely join NAXJA and post it there. I know there are a lot of members in the PNW, in fact, they have their own section of the XJ forum.
Thanks for the input, Chief. I appreciate it.

So, on a side-note, I picked up a super clean '98 4Runner SR5 (one-owner rig), and figured I'd keep it, and sell the XJ. Well, after driving the 'Runner back-to-back-to-back with the XJ and our S10 Blazer, I have to say that the 'Runner is the most uncomfortable of the three, and will likely be the one that gets sold. The door hits my leg when I close it (panel juts inward, as it houses the power window switches, and such). Also, the seat backs are a bit narrow for me. Hell, the whole rig feels narrow compared to the other two. I bought it right, however, and won't get hurt when it comes time to sell it. And due to this development, it means I will likely keep the XJ. I just like it better. ;)

Okay. I think it's time to let the XJ go. Since January of 2022 when I first started this thread, only another 8,000 miles have been put on it. It's currently at 188,000+ miles on it. It sits far more than it gets driven these days, and sadly, it has been targeted by car prowlers, as-of late. I think it's just time to rehome it.

1996 XJ 2-door
188,000+ miles.
Have owned it for the past 10 years (bought it with 112,000 miles on it, if I recall correctly).
Just recently put 175 miles on it without incident, after it sitting for 5 months straight.

Less than 10,000 miles on the following:
New brakes (including calipers and flexible hoses).
All new steering components (everything except the steering box). *Sadly, the power steering pump has started whining, even though it was replaced at the same time, so that will need to be addressed again.
New OEM style upper and lower control arms and bushings, including the axle bushing.
New Rancho RS500x shocks (with Rancho's typically shitty/thin paint that is already discoloring from surface rust).
Toyo A/T III tires on Canyon wheels.
New starter.
New Alternator.
Recharged A/C system (necessary after removal of everything from the cowl).

I discovered that there was a cowl leak, so I completely gutted the interior. Pulled the dash and replaced any seals at the cowl that might allow water to enter the cabin. Installed a new blower motor while I was at it. Scrubbed the carpets and got 'em looking very spiffy. Installed a factory XJ console (correct color) out of another rig. Installed a new headliner. It's black, and really sets off the interior. It really compliments the new Wet Okole black & tan seat covers I also installed. I added an AM/FM stereo with CD player to replace the one that was stolen from it a few years back. I am happy to report that I have never again had a leak since doing all of this, by the way.

I have some extra parts, such as a couple of grilles (one OEM, one aftermarket). I also have some window crank mechanisms which are difficult to come by for the manual windows. The driver's side window would roll all the way down, but then wouldn't come back up without assistance. I discovered that if I stopped the window from going down the last 4" or so, it would work fine, so I created a "stop" with a hose clamp that kept it from bottoming out until I could find a replacement mechanism. I scavenged two such units, as I recall, but haven't swapped out the bad one yet. I also bought enough wing window units (smoker's windows) to create a couple of good units to install, if one were so inclined.

I pride myself in my honesty, and will not misrepresent the vehicle in any way. If anyone on here is interested, I will gladly discuss (at length) what I know about this little rig. I would love to see a forum member end-up with it. I will get some pictures posted up, and likely repost this as an actual ad in the forum once I figure out where to place it. I thought we had an "Other Jeep" for sale section, but I can't find it if'n we do.

Price will be a very firm $5,000 for this vehicle. It's the only way I can sell it without hating myself for doing so. :(

Thanks,
Squatch

Last edited:
Okay. I think it's time to let the XJ go. Since January of 2022 when I first started this thread, only another 8,000 miles has been put on it. It's currently at 188,000+ miles on it. It sits far more than it gets driven these days, and sadly, it has been targeted by car prowlers, as-of late. I think it's just time to rehome it.

1996 XJ 2-door
188,000+ miles.
Have owned it for the past 10 years (bought it with 112,000 miles on it, if I recall correctly).
Just recently put 175 miles on it without incident, after it sitting for 5 months straight.

Less than 10,000 miles on the following:
New brakes (including calipers and flexible hoses).
All new steering components (everything except the steering box). *Sadly, the power steering pump has started whining, even though it was replaced at the same time, so that will need to be addressed again.
New OEM style upper and lower control arms and bushings, including the axle bushing.
New Rancho RS500x shocks (with Rancho's typically shitty/thin paint that is already discoloring from surface rust).
Toyo A/T III tires on Canyon wheels.
New starter.
New Alternator.
Recharged A/C system (necessary after removal of everything from the cowl).

I discovered that there was a cowl leak, so I completely gutted the interior. Pulled the dash and replaced any seals at the cowl that might allow water to enter the cabin. Installed a new blower motor while I was at it. Scrubbed the carpets and got 'em looking very spiffy. Installed a factory XJ console (correct color) out of another rig. Installed a new headliner. It's black, and really sets off the interior. It really compliments the new Wet Okole black & tan seat covers I also installed. I added an AM/FM stereo with CD player to replace the one that was stolen from it a few years back. I am happy to report that I have never again had a leak since doing all of this, by the way.

I have some extra parts, such as a couple of grilles (one OEM, one aftermarket). I also have some window crank mechanisms which are difficult to come by for the manual windows. The driver's side window would roll all the way down, but then wouldn't come back up without assistance. I discovered that if I stopped the window from going down the last 4" or so, it would work fine, so I created a "stop" with a hose clamp that kept it from bottoming out until I could find a replacement mechanism. I scavenged two such units, as I recall, but haven't swapped out the bad one yet. I also bought enough wing window units (smoker's windows) to create a couple of good units to install, if one were so inclined.

I pride myself in my honesty, and will not misrepresent the vehicle in any way. If anyone on here is interested, I will gladly discuss (at length) what I know about this little rig. I would love to see a forum member end-up with it. I will get some pictures posted up, and likely repost this as an actual ad in the forum once I figure out where to place it. I thought we had an "Other Jeep" for sale section, but I can't find it if'n we do.

Price will be a very firm $5,000 for this vehicle. It's the only way I can sell it without hating myself for doing so. :(

Thanks,
Squatch

Someone is going to love that little cherokee, man. I'd be looking hard at it if we didn't already have one. Those 2 door models are so choice!

Reactions: Squatch and lBasket
These are the only pics I have at the moment, and they're really nothing more than showing the extent to which I went to stop the cowl leaks. If nothing else, it shows how solid the floor pan is. I cleaned up the floor pan, and primed and painted it. I even waxed it, all in the interest of keeping any potential moisture away from the precious metal! ;) I'm happy to report that I have not experienced any more leaks since resealing everything. I'll get more pics of what the rig actually looks like when I get a chance.

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

Reactions: 97TJNM and reddvltj
Would you take $2,500 for it? ;) :D

Naw - I think you're giving it away at $5K, esp. considering what you've done with it.

Well, it's not a perfect XJ, but it's pretty clean, and really reliable. And BONE STOCK, which is a plus, in my opinion. I really would like to see it go to a good home. If someone thinks they want it to cut out the wheel wells and run 35" tires on a 6" lift, then I absolutely do NOT want to know about it. The little rig means a lot to my wife and I. We're hoping someone else can appreciate it for what it is. ;)

Reactions: reddvltj and Zorba
Let me run it by the wife, Squatch, and see if she wants it. She has a red JK that's making me nuts.

Hey, buddy! Good to hear from ya! Tomorrow is supposed to be a somewhat sunny day, so I plan on getting some pics to post. I missed my 2-hour window of opportunity today, as I was doing a dump-run. The coming pics will speak more for it than my words. ;)

Reactions: reddvltj and StG58