If you know, you know.

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
When I said I wanted team Ineos to be competitive, that isn't exactly what I meant ya' bunch of sandbaggers. But, holy crap, way to put it together for a near flawless performance. Now, knock that shit off.

Sailboats?
If by sailboats you mean the same relationship to a car when you say Formula 1, then yes. They fly in the water, the hull is not touching the water, they reach speeds of about 50 knots, and they can go 3-4 times actual wind speed upwind for a 75 foot long boat. Just amazing technology.

Last edited:
Until yesterday I hadn't watched a match in decades. They have sure come a long way.
Until yesterday, team Ineos had not won a race in the previous World Series. If they came off their foils, they would lose 4-800m to the other boat due to how long it took to get back on them. They handled the boat in maneuvers like rank amateurs. Very few beat them by less than a couple of minutes and in those races, that is monstrous. They lost by the amounts they were winning by in yesterday's matches. Either some brilliant tuning and testing or astonishingly good sandbaggers.

That was race 3 or race 1 day 2.
I was really surprised how immobile the boats seem to be in light breezes compared to years ago. But maybe that's just perception. I seem to recall that if the wind didn't blow they were still racing. Tacking back and forth, cutting each other off from the breeze and the markers. It was sometimes slow motion but it was racing. And I don't recall the commentators using the word pressure every sixty seconds.

I was really surprised how immobile the boats seem to be in light breezes compared to years ago. But maybe that's just perception. I seem to recall that if the wind didn't blow they were still racing. Tacking back and forth, cutting each other off from the breeze and the markers. It was sometimes slow motion but it was racing. And I don't recall the commentators using the word pressure every sixty seconds.
This is AC 36, foiling catamarans started for AC 34 IIRC. Before that they were the typical non foiling mono-hulls.

This is AC 36, foiling catamarans started for AC 34 IIRC. Before that they were the typical non foiling mono-hulls.
Oh yea, there were definately no foils back when I was watching. The efficiency of this generation blows my mind when they have enough breeze. But it looks like when its too light and variable they just as well be sitting on a dead cow with a pillow case for a sail.

Oh yea, there were definately no foils back when I was watching. The efficiency of this generation blows my mind when they have enough breeze. But it looks like when its too light and variable they just as well be sitting on a dead cow with a pillow case for a sail.
Even as dead cows with pillow case sails they are still faster than the old 12 meter class which had a top speed of 12 knots. Those races were like watching two loaded semi trucks on long uphill grades with an overtake speed of .3 mph.

It's been a couple of years since I watched any America's Cup racing. Wow! they are flying (pun intended).

I love the new sailing tech. These boats are fantastic. I grew up sailing in the summer and ice boating in the winter. Still have a Hobie 18 and a Tornado. What I would give to sail on one of these or one of the big foiling tri's or ORMA 60's. Can't wait for the rest of the races!

I love the new sailing tech. These boats are fantastic. I grew up sailing in the summer and ice boating in the winter. Still have a Hobie 18 and a Tornado. What I would give to sail on one of these or one of the big foiling tri's or ORMA 60's. Can't wait for the rest of the races!
They all have to run the Prada Cup round robin to see who will be the challenger of record for the America's Cup against the defender New Zealand Team Emirates. In case anyone was wondering why they don't see Team Emirates racing is this series.

Magic had no magic and couldn't muster a single Prada Cup win. The first two rounds of the Americas Cup were on today.