Ignition cylinder removal

Steve Rodgers

TJ Enthusiast
A2F51E9B-BCCF-484E-885D-F1FCF480F7ED.jpeg
Attached is a photo of my ignition cylinder. I can’t find any instructions on how to remove it so I can remove the column cover. Anyone know?
1997 TJ SE 5 speed, 2.5

On my 97 tj sport. The bottom cover doesn't remove fully. Just pull in down far enough to access the locking button. Then the cover will slide out with the cylinder.

Insert the key in your Jeep. Then turn the key until the radio/AC comes on without starting the engine. (Quarter of a turn.) At this point press the locking button on the very bottom of the steering wheel cover and pull your cylinder out at the same time with key still in the cylinder. (I used a phillips head screw driver for this.) I have a 1997 TJ and just removed it the other day to paint the bottom cover. Please note that your radio or accessories will stay on unless turned off until cylinder is returned to its installed position. So if you plan on leaving it out for a long period of time you might want to disconnect the battery. Hopefully this helps! :)

Insert the key in your Jeep. Then turn the key until the radio/AC comes on without starting the engine. (Quarter of a turn.) At this point press the locking button on the very bottom of the steering wheel cover and pull your cylinder out at the same time with key still in the cylinder. (I used a phillips head screw driver for this.) I have a 1997 TJ and just removed it the other day to paint the bottom cover. Please note that your radio or accessories will stay on unless turned off until cylinder is returned to its installed position. So if you plan on leaving it out for a long period of time you might want to disconnect the battery. Hopefully this helps! :)
How do you do if you ignition is broken (hence replacing) and you cannot turn the key to the run position, meaning unable to push the release button?

How do you do if you ignition is broken (hence replacing) and you cannot turn the key to the run position, meaning unable to push the release button?

If you remove the cover on the column you will be able to see the pin you need to push.

Option #1
If you are unable to turn the cylinder you will have to drill that pin out.

CAUTION!!!!!!!! If you are not carefull you can damage other things.

Option #2
Contact a locksmith to pick the lock then remove.

If you remove the cover on the column you will be able to see the pin you need to push.

Option #1
If you are unable to turn the cylinder you will have to drill that pin out.

CAUTION!!!!!!!! If you are not carefull you can damage other things.

Option #2
Contact a locksmith to pick the lock then remove.
I have this same problem. My ignition will not turn. What do you use to drill it? Do you need a special bit?

FWIW - just had this happen to Oreo last Thursday - the Ms. got in to start Oreo to follow me, key would not turn. Ended up hitting the key with the palm of my hand while the key was inserted in the ignition. I felt a slight “pop” as my hand hit the key.
Reached over, with my other hand, applied rotating pressure - viola - key turned, Oreo started right up.

I guess Oreo will be getting a new lock cylinder soon.