Ignition cylinder shroud missing?

Tim_with_the_tj

TJ Enthusiast
E8DDA4B3-565F-4D57-9BBD-B68D1C4D5F62.jpeg
5F0E89CD-7F00-4CCF-A782-DCF6A5D60877.jpeg
9043A041-CF04-486D-AB33-6929B264F2C9.jpeg
Haven’t been able to find anything like this on the net. My recently purchased 1997 TJ has something weird going on with the ignition cylinder. There seems to be a shroud or guide missing where you insert the key. What happened here?

It functions fine, just makes putting the key in a little awkward. I’d like to repair this. Am I gonna have to replace the whole lock cylinder?

View attachment 283680View attachment 283681This black piece popped off. It’s a ‘97 only part as far as a TJ goes…

Go to a junkyard and pop one off of a Neon or Cherokee of the same vintage…
That makes sense. I couldn’t seem to find this part online separate from an entire key cylinder. I also noticed other TJs have a metal bowl type key guide instead of this black one with the ears. My TJ is an early 1997, built in 3/96.

Do you think this part can be removed from a donor car without being broken?

Thanks for the help.

It clicks over the end of the cylinder and engags the metal ears which allows it to all turn together. Basically you’re lifting up the inside edge and popping it off, then lining it up on your cylinder and snapping it on..

It clicks over the end of the cylinder and engags the metal ears which allows it to all turn together. Basically you’re lifting up the inside edge and popping it off, then lining it up on your cylinder and snapping it on..
I wonder if I’ll be able to access those plastic tabs without removing the lock cylinder… I’m not banking on the vehicles having the key in the ignition at the salvage yard. Have you removed one of these? If I can get to the plastic tabs by just taking off the steering column plastics (not removing lock cylinder) then we are good.

EDIT: I should just go look at mine. I’ll have to pull the lower plastic cover again. Ha

Depends on the vehicle. The yards around here almost always leave the keys in the ignition. If they didn’t I would take the column apart enough to get at it. By whatever means I needed to…

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj