Ignition switch wire colors

kaprice919

Hi all,

First off, thanks for all of your help. I've got a 2001 TJ 4cyl manual. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum section or not, but here goes:

A couple of days ago I tried to start the jeep up and I got a no click, no start.

Tested the starter and it works, now I'm in the process of testing if my issue lies in the ignition switch or the wire from the switch -> to the starter.

I took off the ignition switch wiring harness from under my steering wheel and I'd like to attempt to jump my car to see if my problem is the ignition switch, but I'm unsure of which color wires to cross in order to do that (No idea how to read a wiring diagram).

Can one of you smart fellows help me out and tell me which wires I need to bridge in order to see if my car will start? or give me a better method for testing :)

Thanks! Happy to answer any clarifying questions.

20190402_091154.jpg

20190402_091150.jpg

20190402_091145.jpg

20190402_091127.jpg

Thats a good idea... Im unsure though of which wires to check for continuity between.

I think this is the correct wiring diagram. I found it in my Haynes repair manual

20190402_133605.jpg

Hanes and Chiltons are nice, but you really need to download the manuals Serivce manual. You will need to look at your wires and figure out the positions on the switch. Turn the switch with the key installed and jiggle it at each position to see if there is any change in the continuity. I have see many switches go bad because of the excess weight from all the crap on the key rings. I would put one lead in the where the red wire goes into the switch.

Have someone hold the switch in the start position and move the other test lead to the Dark Blue (DB), the Yellow (YL). You should have continuity at each terminal.

If the switch is bad. This is the test it will fail.

I have included a couple of other schematics to look at to continue your TS. There are fuses that could also cause the issue.
Looking at your red wire, it looks like someone has damaged the insulation. If you find no other issues and the problem remains, check continuity of that wire.

Attachments

• 01 switch.pdf
    164.2 KB · Views: 3,591
  • 01start.pdf
    167 KB · Views: 2,703
Last edited:
I recommend replacing that harness, over time the plastic melts on all of them because it is not made of thermoplastic the positive wire hardens that blue thing and it cracks, but judging from your picture someone might have done that already or you have a pre-2003 Tj. Doorman is currently the maker/owner of the replacement harnesses.

The ignition wire to my knowledge is the red wire if not then the pink wire. The Yellow wire is positive power. The black one is ground.

I recommend replacing that harness, over time the plastic melts on all of them because it is not made of thermoplastic the positive wire hardens that blue thing and it cracks, but judging from your picture someone might have done that already or you have a pre-2003 Tj. Doorman is currently the maker/owner of the replacement harnesses.

The ignition wire to my knowledge is the red wire if not then the pink wire. The Yellow wire is positive power. The black one is ground.
This post is 2 years old. I hope he has figured it out by now.

This post is 2 years old. I hope he has figured it out by now.
When I googled a problem similar to this, it brings up old threads. I understand that the OP should be good by now but I commented for other people's reference. Google refers to wranglertjfourm answers for their quick results.

Reactions: MikeE024
Thank u. Turned out helpful had to by pass anti thef lost my chipped key in deep mud middle of no where. Had a relay for my many light bars some spare wire and internet connection. No meter so no testing. As they say in the movies cut the blue on.. your idea of red or yellow sounds better. Thanks . Only one question tho. Feel like pulling me out. I must have fumes coming in somewhere wasn't realizing its a jeep I won't need no tow. Lmfao

post is as relevant as ever, The older these tj's get the more people will find the wiring harnesses melted. I can confirm at least up to 2003 have this issue.