I'll play

05LJ

TJ Enthusiast
without going down the line over the years of various jeeps, I'll keep it to the last 4 years. Bought the Black Cherry 05 LJ while living in New Mexico. Already had the 4" lift and 35" tires but nothing else and not one scratch underneath. Apparently no high curbs at the mall. I did bumpers, Engo 9K winch with synthetic, Crown HD steering, RE adj track bar, all new u joints front and rear, all new front end bushings
jeep 001.JPG
IMG_3780.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
and discos as well as Rancho 7000 shocks. Installed a Spartan locker in the front and it would go anywhere you had the stones to point it. Also put the Fat Bob's Garage seat risers in it and bedlined the tub. More, but that's the gist. BTW, the seat risers are great! I always felt I was sitting in a lowrider with stock seat height.
So sold that one and picked up this little 71 CJ5 with a V6. Took it home and won't print what the wife said. Anyway I rebuild the Dana 27 front end and called it good, sold it and on the hunt.
Which brings me back to the latest LJ in Khaki. Way and beyond my favorite Jeep of all time (LJ). Another 05 already lifted with RE 4" and adj uppers. Another mall queen apparently, no scratches underneath. The bad however was not quite death wobble but close. Back window hinges held together with looked to be welding rod without the flux coating. Drove it home and the work began. New ball joints (all 4), new Crown HD steering and replaced drop pitman with stocker. New Rancho 5000x shocks and stabber. New rear window hinges solved the loose window banging issue. New American Racing AR23 15x8 wheels and Cooper STT pro tires in 33x12.50x15 are ordered. Still have to do bumpers/tire carrier and winch plus plus plus.
Now a few notes for those starting a build.
Winches. Always a flaming topic on the boards, always. My advice is to buy what you can afford. Warn is by far the leader in winchdom, but also the priciest. I only give advice on the things I have bought and used, not on what I have heard from "a guy" my buddy knows that heard about this from a friend. I used an Engo 9000 with synthetic line for 3 years and some pretty good recovery's with no issues what so ever. I paid $400 shipped then and compared to double that for a Warn, bought more upgrades.
Crown HD steering assembly. Yes the Curry Correctlink is awesome. Also over $500 compared to under $200 for the Crown unit. I used the Crown on previous LJ and loved it. Again, let your budget be the guide.
Novak transfer case shifter cable. This is one of the best mods I have ever done. If you lift or have lifted your TJ/LJ you will need this sooner or later. The stock Rube Goldberg mess of rods and adjustable this and that underneath needs to go. This cable shifter is easy to install and shifts like slick butter with positive feel when going into low range.
I will try to post pics as I do more, but sometimes I just get caught up in the wrenching and don't think about pics

Reactions: Chris
Novak transfer case shifter cable. This is one of the best mods I have ever done.

Really? I just ordered one last night since I've heard nothing but good things about them. The stock transfer case shifter cable is just so horrible. It seems like anytime I put it into 4WD I am struggling with that thing constantly. I assume this makes it less notchy?

Sometimes I regret not getting an LJ. It sure would be nice with the family! I love yours!

The Novak cable is just plain fantastic. Not notchy at all, just smooth but you can feel the detents knowing you are in hi, neutral, or low.
I had problems with popping out of low range at the most inopportune moments and this cured that problem. Easy to install as well.

The Novak cable is just plain fantastic. Not notchy at all, just smooth but you can feel the detents knowing you are in hi, neutral, or low.
I had problems with popping out of low range at the most inopportune moments and this cured that problem. Easy to install as well.

Sounds like it's money well spent! I figured I would need it regardless with the upcoming tummy tuck.

BTW, what kind of hard top is that on your LJ? It clearly isn't factory.

I forgot the name of it. It was on that LJ when I bought it. I looked it up one time and it sells for 2800! Nice top all carpeted inside and the front section comes off and has a sun roof. Best part is the back window has locking latches, not held in place by the tailgate like a stock hardtop like my current one.

I forgot the name of it. It was on that LJ when I bought it. I looked it up one time and it sells for 2800! Nice top all carpeted inside and the front section comes off and has a sun roof. Best part is the back window has locking latches, not held in place by the tailgate like a stock hardtop like my current one.

Nice! The TJ hardtops go for a pretty penny, but the LJ ones go for quite a bit more considering how rare they are.

next project in the build was to remove the so called oversize tire carrier from the tailgate which was causing some sag with a 315x75x16 tire and wheel with 2 spacers and accoutrements to make it work like spacers behind the bracket. Upon removing this abortion, I found it had eaten the paint off where mounted. So......off comes the tailgate, sanding and taping, then spraying bedliner with 3 coats. After drying, tailgate reinstalled and brackets adjusted to get back to acceptable alignment for closing and sealing rear window. Next project is new tires and wheels (hopefully next weekend if they come in) then new bumper and tire carrier.
IMG_3859.JPG

next project in the build was to remove the so called oversize tire carrier from the tailgate which was causing some sag with a 315x75x16 tire and wheel with 2 spacers and accoutrements to make it work like spacers behind the bracket. Upon removing this abortion, I found it had eaten the paint off where mounted. So......off comes the tailgate, sanding and taping, then spraying bedliner with 3 coats. After drying, tailgate reinstalled and brackets adjusted to get back to acceptable alignment for closing and sealing rear window. Next project is new tires and wheels (hopefully next weekend if they come in) then new bumper and tire carrier.View attachment 270

Funny because I am about to remove the stock tire carrier as well, so I am hoping I don't find what you did underneath.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just do the entire rig in a primer black like you've done with your tailgate there.

Then I would never have any worries!

Actually this bedliner I used in the tub of previous Lj holds up pretty good. I have seen bedlined jeeps before and what a mess. The commercial bedliner is thicker and rougher and holds dirt better than a cheap hooker. This stuff is pretty smooth (actually about the texture of a hardtop) and will rinse off better. You will probably find some corrosion around the 4 bolt holes but easily fixed with those plastic push in caps. I just didn't fill mine yet. Once the tire carrier bumper is on, it will hide most of the back anyway.

Actually this bedliner I used in the tub of previous Lj holds up pretty good. I have seen bedlined jeeps before and what a mess. The commercial bedliner is thicker and rougher and holds dirt better than a cheap hooker. This stuff is pretty smooth (actually about the texture of a hardtop) and will rinse off better. You will probably find some corrosion around the 4 bolt holes but easily fixed with those plastic push in caps. I just didn't fill mine yet. Once the tire carrier bumper is on, it will hide most of the back anyway.

The stock tire carrier is just complete crap. What a stupid idea anyways to try to hang all that dead weight from the rear tailgate.

Next step in rebuild is new spicer u joints, Fat Bobs seat risers this holiday weekend. Btw back window is adjusted to seal better than previous picture lol.

I just put a new back window seal on mine as well!

I ditched the u-joints though in favor of the RCV axles.

Just doing rear driveline this weekend because I detected a little bit of play in the back one. Should have done the front axles when I had them out doing the ball joints but not a big project to pull them and like I said, winter is here and I use this time for rebuild projects when I get bored.

Just doing rear driveline this weekend because I detected a little bit of play in the back one. Should have done the front axles when I had them out doing the ball joints but not a big project to pull them and like I said, winter is here and I use this time for rebuild projects when I get bored.

The nice thing about these Wranglers is they are so easy to work on, especially the axles. It's amazing how quickly I can have front and rear axle shafts out should I need to!

Reactions: 05LJ
I always wish I would have bought an LJ!

BTW, I love the color of your LJ. I can't remember, is that called sand or khaki?

The nice thing about these Wranglers is they are so easy to work on, especially the axles. It's amazing how quickly I can have front and rear axle shafts out should I need to!
Quick question Chris before I inquire from my mechanic since you or someone her probably knows - and I explain this with little to no mechanical knowledge. I had a lot of unexpected work done on my TJ as PO apparently had let it sit a VERY long time my mechanic guesses and did no maintenance. When he replaced the rear differential (with a jasper) he found the front drive shaft was messed up and removed it and advised don't use 4 wheel drive till we look at the u-joints or figure out what the issue is. Then I had motor replaced (jasper needs to send me a Christmas card) and he said u-joints were ok but front drive shaft and 4 wheel drive needs to be repaired. Supposed to be doing some homework and seeing what that would cost. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? I know it's probably to vague to know but just thought I'd ask. As he put it - at this point I've replaced everything but the body, tranny and transfer case. Before you tell me, LOL yes I'm aware I have spend way over the value of the jeep but if I didn't fix it I'd just have a $7500 paperweight

Before you tell me, LOL yes I'm aware I have spend way over the value of the jeep but if I didn't fix it I'd just have a $7500 paperweight

I don't know what to say... o_O I bought my Jeep for fair market value, and then I dumped a boat load of money into it to get it to to where it is today. I plan to spend even more money on my Jeep. There is no way on God's green earth that I could ever recoup the money I've spent. But, there is no way I would be having the fun that I am having, or meeting the people I am meeting without a Jeep.

I don't look at me Jeep as an expenditure of precious resources, but an investment in life.

Just saying...;)

Reactions: Zhillslady
Quick question Chris before I inquire from my mechanic since you or someone her probably knows - and I explain this with little to no mechanical knowledge. I had a lot of unexpected work done on my TJ as PO apparently had let it sit a VERY long time my mechanic guesses and did no maintenance. When he replaced the rear differential (with a jasper) he found the front drive shaft was messed up and removed it and advised don't use 4 wheel drive till we look at the u-joints or figure out what the issue is. Then I had motor replaced (jasper needs to send me a Christmas card) and he said u-joints were ok but front drive shaft and 4 wheel drive needs to be repaired. Supposed to be doing some homework and seeing what that would cost. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? I know it's probably to vague to know but just thought I'd ask. As he put it - at this point I've replaced everything but the body, tranny and transfer case. Before you tell me, LOL yes I'm aware I have spend way over the value of the jeep but if I didn't fix it I'd just have a $7500 paperweight

Yeah, unfortunately that is way to vague to diagnose anything. Still, I doubt the entire driveshaft is bad but I could see how the u-joints in the driveshaft and axles could be bad from sitting forever and having potentially no grease in them.