I'll play

Ok, new issue popping up. Did rear u joints spicer of course, had a small vibration under acceleration so been playing with pinion angle. Found CA bushings shot on uppers. RE lift with adjustable uppers. Pinion angle now better but vibration seems to be stronger than with bad angle. Will be ordering new bushings Monday hope this helps it. Don't really want to go sye or drop tc, didn't need to with previous LJ with 4" lift. Thoughts?

To verify, you currently have a 4" lift with no TC drop or SYE? You will definitely need one of them in order to eliminate vibration. I had a 1 5/8" drop on my four inch lift and didn't think that I had hat much vibration. Once I installed the SYE the difference was night and day.

The LJ has a longer rear driveshaft and therefore a reduced angle, so that is probably why you got away without the SYE or drop.

That's the whole point. My previous LJ had a 4 inch lift no sye and I took the tc drop out ( from po) and no vibes. This LJ has no tc drop or sye either and a 4 inch lift. 10" longer wheelbase. I am still fine tuning this ride and will continue to tweak the pinion angle but right now I'm thinking the worn out bushings in the upper ca are contributing. All things being equal ( like they aren't ever ) everything should work the same. Different lifts, different characteristics I guess, but winter is here and the garage is warm so the fine tuning will go on until I get it it right.

Sorry, I got confused with the different pictures and descriptions and multiple LJs. Man I so wish that we found an LJ.

If the new bushing doesn't fix it, do you still have the TC drop from the older LJ? If so, try throwing it in there and see what happens just as a test. I've known guys that lifted a TJ by 3.5" that didn't install a TC drop or SYE and were just fine, and some that installed a 2" lift and had vibrations.

Reactions: Chris
after a little more thought and some more research, I believe rebuilding the CA's are going to fix the issue. Reason being under acceleration the torque is changing the pinion angle because the bushings are so worn out. Not a big problem but never had this issue with poly bushings in previous LJ, but had other issues like almost tearing off front control arm brackets. So, lesson here is, rubber bushings won't last as long, but less overall damage in the long run. Always something new with a new project, every jeep I have had has taught me something new.

pics of the bushings. will be ordering rebuild kits Monday. Kind of disheartening only because I had previous LJ already dialed in but knew this was going to be a project going in. Got all winter to be ready for Moab in the spring.

IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

What kind of control arms are those?

I'll be putting my new Currie Johnny Joint control arms on this week, looking forward to see how the JJ performs.

Rubicon Express. I have never run these before (the lift was already on this jeep) but I do like the idea of rebuildable ends. (I think, time will tell I guess) I forgot what they call the swivel end and their website says they should last a long time, but I may just rebuild all the ends anyway just to start with a clean slate.

If it was me I too would probably start with a clean slate. Then at least you know you're good to go.

Talk about customer service, I just called Rubicon Express and told them about the rubber bushings being bad and they are sending me all new bushings no charge! They even told me how to adjust the spherical bushings on the other side. Never had a RE lift and control arms before but sounds like they stand by their product.

Talk about customer service, I just called Rubicon Express and told them about the rubber bushings being bad and they are sending me all new bushings no charge! They even told me how to adjust the spherical bushings on the other side. Never had a RE lift and control arms before but sounds like they stand by their product.

It's customer service like that that promotes good word of mouth! Currie has been the same way with me.

update on rebuilding. Should have taken pictures but I get in the moment and don't think about it. Pulled RE adjustable uppers and lowers in back for rebuild. Thanks Rubicon Express for the free bushings and info on adjusting the joints. BTW, this info is also on Stu Offroad website if anyone needs it. Found out my OTC ball joint tool works pretty good for pressing out old rubber bushings. pulled joints out, cleaned up and reinstalled with proper tensioning on the joint. They were verrry loose, just wobbling around. Also a good thing to do is put a shot of grease through the zerk when you have everything apart just to make sure it is unobstructed. Put everything back, used angle finder to set pinion and good to go. So I thought. Upon a test ride, found out I had a pretty significant vibration. Back in the garage and reset pinion angle by eye. Now we are good to go with no vibes, had it set a little low. Pulled the fronts and found everything to my liking there. Next project will probably be front axle and driveline u joints as already did rear driveline.

Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
Yes real easy. Press out old rubber bushings press in new ones. The spherical joints on other end are adjustable if not gone. These were ok just took apart, cleaned up and reset tension. At some point I will get new joints and replace but these still looked good enough to clean up and reset the tension by tightening up lock ring.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
Yes real easy. Press out old rubber bushings press in new ones. The spherical joints on other end are adjustable if not gone. These were ok just took apart, cleaned up and reset tension. At some point I will get new joints and replace but these still looked good enough to clean up and reset the tension by tightening up lock ring.

Well, can't complain about that. You got new ones for free also which is fantastic!

Reactions: Serbonze
Next step in rebuild is new spicer u joints, Fat Bobs seat risers this holiday weekend. Btw back window is adjusted to seal better than previous picture lol.
I put 2" seat risers in mine too- sure helped with elbow positioning on the door and especially with trail view in the mountains. Easy, cheap, effective!

Drove over to Tuffy Security today (right here in Cortez) and talked to Eric about getting an underseat lockbox for my Glock. None in stock, just shipped out last run but of course doing another run. Asked about the lockbox that fits in the console and those are in powdercoat now. He told me they added a second shift to try to keep up with demand. Says lots about the quality and demand for their products. I will gladly wait for one of their boxes even after looking at some of the other similar products out there. Pretty cool for a little Podunk town to have this quality of a manufacture located here.

Reactions: Kevin E and Chris
Drove over to Tuffy Security today (right here in Cortez) and talked to Eric about getting an underseat lockbox for my Glock. None in stock, just shipped out last run but of course doing another run. Asked about the lockbox that fits in the console and those are in powdercoat now. He told me they added a second shift to try to keep up with demand. Says lots about the quality and demand for their products. I will gladly wait for one of their boxes even after looking at some of the other similar products out there. Pretty cool for a little Podunk town to have this quality of a manufacture located here.
Born and raised in Durango. I know Cortez well!

IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4052.JPG
IMG_4053.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG
OK, the build continues. Got Dirtworx bumper and tire carrier last week and got it primed and bedlined this weekend. Had bumper on and drove through sloppy roads Sat for grandson's wrestling match so it got a little grime before installing tire carrier this morning. All in all I have to give this bumper pretty high marks for quality and fitment. Thanks Robert for the quick service. I like this bumper better than the one on the previous jeep because of ground clearance for one and hitch is integrated into bumper not hanging below. Well worth the money imo.