I'm 15 years old. What do I need to know about my 2000 TJ?

Welcome.... Any idea what you want to know about Jeeps. History, maintenance, upgrades ???
Upload a pic or 3 too please.

Reactions: StG58
IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

Important things all TJ owners know: Dana 35's suck and the 4.0 rocks.

A couple random irrelevant observations/experiences:
-Those middle flares will keep mud and rocks from hitting your doors and into the cab off-road. They look dumb though haha (I took mine off)
- nice hard top. Don't bent it taking it off. They can flex and slide off the tub rails fairly easily.

Follow schedualed maintenance, do oil changes, take care of your Jeep and it should last many many years.

One thing to not add ever: angry grill. :D

Nice Jeep!

-Those middle flares will keep mud and rocks from hitting your doors and into the cab off-road. They look dumb though haha (I took mine off)
- nice hard top. Don't bent it taking it off. They can flex and slide off the tub rails fairly easily.

Follow schedualed maintenance, do oil changes, take care of your Jeep and it should last many many years.

Nice Jeep!
Alright thanks so so much i will keep all of that in mind!

Nice Jeep!
If i ever wanted to take off the top what would you recommend doing?

If i ever wanted to take off the top what would you recommend doing?
Honestly ALWAYS have a buddy, parent, wife gf bf etc help take it off. Don't take it off alone. Also it's pretty easy to scratch the crap out of the tub paint, it's best to not slide it when putting it on or off but I can't say I'm good at that.

From my experiences the hard top is not made to be taken off daily like I used to. Mine is starting to bend a bit and I have to push it to get it to line up. I dunno where you live but I'd buy like a Bimini top for summer and leave hardtop off then put it on as it gets cold.

Set it on 2x4s in the yard don't lay it on its side or anything like that. I've heard mixed things about hanging it. Some say it ends them others say it's fine. Also don't drop it. They shatter usually. They are worth around $1000 used give or take a few hundred.

Honestly ALWAYS have a buddy, parent, wife gf bf etc help take it off. Don't take it off alone. Also it's pretty easy to scratch the crap out of the tub paint, it's best to not slide it when putting it on or off but I can't say I'm good at that.

From my experiences the hard top is not made to be taken off daily like I used to. Mine is starting to bend a bit and I have to push it to get it to line up. I dunno where you live but I'd buy like a Bimini top for summer and leave hardtop off then put it on as it gets cold.

Set it on 2x4s in the yard don't lay it on its side or anything like that. I've heard mixed things about hanging it. Some say it ends them others say it's fine. Also don't drop it. They shatter usually. They are worth around $1000 used give or take a few hundred.

Sweet thanks for all the help! Means a lot!

Welcome to the forum, and lucky you to own a TJ at only 15 years old! That's a very cool first vehicle.

Check out this section of the site for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions: TJ Frequently Asked Questions

Be sure to download a free Factory Service Manual (FSM) here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

You can also read more about the different engines, transmissions, axles, and various other factory options available on the TJ here: Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications

Those are just a few of the resources I suggest looking at.

Like the others have said, get ready to go broke in style! These Jeeps seem to take every penny, but they're so worth it!

Welcome to Jeep life! There's nothing like it. You're blessed to be getting in so early in life. A TJ is the funnest vehicle I've ever had. Taking the top and doors off all summer is the absolute best driving experience , and I've driven corvettes, mustangs, Porsche's, et al.

1) Learn how to check your fluids and maintain your Jeep. The 4.0 is arguably the most durable engine ever built, it's a tractor engine that gives plenty of power, but take care of it and it will take care of you. Your dad or a knowledgeable friend would be good to learn this with. And yes, as per Chris above, download the Full Service Manual for your Jeep.

2) Get off-road and see what your Jeep can do. They're very capable and you'll be amazed where they can go.

3) If you want to modify your Jeep or buy accessories for it, check here before you buy. Reviews on Amazon are crap compared to the advice and experience here. It will save you lots of money.

4) If you're on stock 29" tires, you want your air pressure around 29-31lbs. What the sidewall says is baloney. If your on 31's you want 26-28lbs. It will give you a better ride. TJs can ride tough with too much air pressure

Glad to have you on the forum.

Congrats on the Jeep. You are asking the right questions. Like others said, keep it well maintained.
-I don't drive mine over 60, even though it can. If you have to jerk the wheel at high speed to avoid wreck, it will roll over much easier than a car.
-Beware of salt on the roads in the winter. Give it a good fresh water flush if you can't avoid.
-Have fun!
- but don't let your friends talk you into trying to conquer some sort of mud hole or incline that the jeep can't handle. I say this from experience during my teens. They have nothing to lose. You do!

It's a TJ, not a Honda. If you try to do what your buddies with rice rockets do, you'll kill it. The reverse is true also.

Get a good, basic set of mechanics tools, inch and metric. Keep them clean and organized.

Come ask us if something strange crops up, we'll help and offer advice. Stay ahead of maintenance, it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

Don't get all fired up to modify it. Drive it a whole bunch first.

Don't beat on it.

Smile (that's not hard driving a TJ) and wave at other Wranglers and CJ's. Jeeps are a social thing as much as transportation.

Above all, have fun!