I'm 15 years old. What do I need to know about my 2000 TJ?

Learn the lay of the land in your state. Try to find access to public lands where you can see some country. This will allow you use your rig off road (but just don't beat the hell out of it). The TJ will last you a long time if you treat it right. Also wheel with a friend or two. Since you're new to driving you don't want to get into a situation you can't drive out of.

Check for rust underneath. If Missouri uses road salt make sure you crawl underneath it. Use fluid film or another rust inhibitor.

Always use OE equipment when it comes to replacing sensors. Just bite the bullet and pay the higher price up front. It's tempting to buy an aftermarket sensor, but history has shown that they don't last. This was the best advice I got when i bought my second jeep and had to work on it.

Reactions: CJ Gates and StG58
Welcome to Jeep life! There's nothing like it. You're blessed to be getting in so early in life. A TJ is the funnest vehicle I've ever had. Taking the top and doors off all summer is the absolute best driving experience , and I've driven corvettes, mustangs, Porsche's, et al.

1) Learn how to check your fluids and maintain your Jeep. The 4.0 is arguably the most durable engine ever built, it's a tractor engine that gives plenty of power, but take care of it and it will take care of you. Your dad or a knowledgeable friend would be good to learn this with. And yes, as per Chris above, download the Full Service Manual for your Jeep.

2) Get off-road and see what your Jeep can do. They're very capable and you'll be amazed where they can go.

3) If you want to modify your Jeep or buy accessories for it, check here before you buy. Reviews on Amazon are crap compared to the advice and experience here. It will save you lots of money.

4) If you're on stock 29" tires, you want your air pressure around 29-31lbs. What the sidewall says is baloney. If your on 31's you want 26-28lbs. It will give you a better ride. TJs can ride tough with too much air pressure

Glad to have you on the forum.
Jmt... funnest isn't a word! ;)
Congrats on the Jeep. You are asking the right questions. Like others said, keep it well maintained.
-I don't drive mine over 60, even though it can. If you have to jerk the wheel at high speed to avoid wreck, it will roll over much easier than a car.
-Beware of salt on the roads in the winter. Give it a good fresh water flush if you can't avoid.
-Have fun!
- but don't let your friends talk you into trying to conquer some sort of mud hole or incline that the jeep can't handle. I say this from experience during my teens. They have nothing to lose. You do!
Disagree with washing during salted road. That will spread it around more. Use a cosmoline or fluid film like substance under the jeep for winter. Mixed feelings about car washes and salt. Sometimes it helps sometimes it makes it worse.

Reactions: CJ Gates
Step 1) wash Jeep inside and out
Step 2) remove hard top
Step 3) prepare for all the pretty girls to want to be your girlfriend
Which reminds me...buy some scrunci's, a couple of those elastic hair band do-hickies, and a reasonably cheap hair brush in a pastel color. That way you are totally prepared for the pretty girl who wants a ride in your Jeep with the top down. Whoever she is, she'll appreciate your foreward thinking. Tell her she can keep the scrunci or headband as a souvenir. More big points, plus some things really don't need to be recycled.

Which reminds me...buy some scrunci's, a couple of those elastic hair band do-hickies, and a reasonably cheap hair brush in a pastel color. That way you are totally prepared for the pretty girl who wants a ride in your Jeep with the top down. Whoever she is, she'll appreciate your foreward thinking. Tell her she can keep the scrunci or headband as a souvenir. More big points, plus some things really don't need to be recycled.
I like your style @StG58 :cool:

Reactions: StG58
Pretty cool you have a jeep so early in life. I had to wait until I was nearly 40! There is some good advice in this thread. Here is my $0.02

A jeep is just like any other car, with a couple of unique features. Start with the basics...fluid changes, brakes, and a tune up. If you have an adult who is knowledgeable about cars, see if they can help you. Plus they have tools you can borrow too.

Don't go crazy with modifications. Cheap lifts ride like crap, and can turn downright dangerous after a couple years. Some 31s with appropriate wheels will let you do pretty amazing things.

A couple other thoughts,
Don't be quick to start making changes. Ask for advice on here, educate yourself, then do what works for you.
If you are mechanically inclined, great! If not, give it a try. i never touched a wrench and no desire before I got my 2000 TJ in May. In 4 months I've changed the oil, brake line, taken wheels on and off more times then I care to count, changed spark plugs, and started to de rust my frame. It's fun! It will get expensive if you trust a shop to do your work.
No question is too stupid to ask. However, I've gotten many answers by using the search tool in the forums . If you don't see what you need, ask. People are great on here.

And @StG58 your pony tail hair tie advice has got to be one of the best posts I've seen. It is so great how you all are willing to help complete strangers .

Welcome to the forum, and lucky you to own a TJ at only 15 years old! That's a very cool first vehicle.

Check out this section of the site for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions: TJ Frequently Asked Questions

Be sure to download a free Factory Service Manual (FSM) here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

You can also read more about the different engines, transmissions, axles, and various other factory options available on the TJ here: Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications

Those are just a few of the resources I suggest looking at.

Like the others have said, get ready to go broke in style! These Jeeps seem to take every penny, but they're so worth it!
Thank you so much!

Reactions: Chris
Hello I am 15 years old and just bought a Jeep 2000 tj with 110,000 miles on it. I know nothing really about jeeps. If you could give me some information that i should know that would be much appreciated.
Welcome! This site has a lot of really great people with tons of knowledge that is freely given in a non-judgemental way. No question is too dumb so don't be afraid to ask. I guarantee there are several others on here that have the same question and just haven't asked yet. Enjoy

I would strongly suggest a strong source of income....and if you get a GF, make sure she is not superficial and loves Jeeps. Just my two cents.....

Reactions: CJ Gates and JMT
Welcome and congrats. My first car was a mercury monarch, you win. A Jeep as a first vehicle is awesome.

What they said plus
- Set up a schedule and change your fluids religiously.
- you've got one of the easiest vehicles to work on yourself, spend some time learning how it works.
- check with friends and relatives and see if you've got someone who knows about cars (jeeps especially) and can help you out.
- YouTube is great, but not always right.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Don't let your friends, no matter how good of friends they are, borrow your Jeep unless they have been driving one all their life. If you do, it won't turn out good.

Got any daytime photos?

Reactions: StG58
Important things all TJ owners know: Dana 35's suck and the 4.0 rocks.

A couple random irrelevant observations/experiences:
-Those middle flares will keep mud and rocks from hitting your doors and into the cab off-road. They look dumb though haha (I took mine off)
- nice hard top. Don't bent it taking it off. They can flex and slide off the tub rails fairly easily.

Follow schedualed maintenance, do oil changes, take care of your Jeep and it should last many many years.

One thing to not add ever: angry grill. :D

Nice Jeep!

X2 no angry grill!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro