I'm getting a beater PU truck this weekend

tman66

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, some of you know I lost 2 of my cars in the flood and finally got the payout on them. Going to pick up a 2003 F150 4x4 SC 7700.

A 7700 is an odd duck. It's like an F250 LD.

Anybody ever had one or even heard of one?

sizeimage.php?photoid=123276&.jpg

Reactions: Nicholas and Chris
Awww, get a Dodge so you can use the Hemi or Magnum as a donor eventually.

Ewww, walk away from that morphodite!

There's gotta be better trucks than that around there for cheap

Last edited:
Reactions: CRGR and tman66
Awww, get a Dodge so you can use the Hemi or Magnum as a donor eventually.

Ewww, walk away from that morphodite!

There's gotta be better trucks than that around there for cheap
I'd never stuff a V8 in a TJ.

I can't buy anything in the Houston area and of 4 trucks I liked in my budget, this guy is the only one that's wasn't a fucking CL flake.

I need a truck NOW. Right Now.

Reactions: Kevin E
I was in jest about the V8 donor, but really I think you should keep looking. Desperate people do desperate things and get screwed for it. Keep looking.....
Never be that desperate for a vehicle when shopping, you will regret it and I understand that you need one soon but it's not worth jumping on the proverbial grenade over it is all I'm saying, keep looking and keep your options open.
In the end it is your money so do with it as you see fit. You asked, and I get the CL thing, FLAKES ABOUND!

Reactions: Chris and tman66
I was in jest about the V8 donor, but really I think you should keep looking. Desperate people do desperate things and get screwed for it. Keep looking.....
Never be that desperate for a vehicle when shopping, you will regret it and I understand that you need one soon but it's not worth jumping on the proverbial grenade over it is all I'm saying, keep looking and keep your options open.
In the end it is your money so do with it as you see fit. You asked, and I get the CL thing, FLAKES ABOUND!
I didn't see anything wrong with it when I test drove it other than it needed some brakes and a diff gasket. The body was nice, interior is fair, but could be nice.

It's just a odd-ball truck and I've yet to hear anything bad about them, except you can't find rims for the truck.

Your opinion must have some merit, care to share?

Reactions: Chris
There are a lot of parts specific to that truck only and being that it is rare, it will be hard to find some things. Just make sure mechanically it is in good shape and have your mechanic check the fluids for metal contamination etc. Due diligence.

I get it too, but I kinda agree with RangerRick here. Try to stay away from Specialty vehicles if you're looking for reliability and ease of maintenance. Its probably a very capable truck and if it is mechanically sound its probably a good buy...however, what happens when you need it, and its broken down...and you can't get parts are the corner NAPA? Every parts store in the country will stock parts for a standard F150. That Heavy half? Maybe not. Just food for thought. Its probably going to be tough on you Houston guys for a while...you have a budget or time to travel a bit for a truck?

Why did they make this thing with 7 lugs to begin with?
Ford did a lot of weird things in that generation of truck. Three valves per cylinder, I think they tried out a cam phaser on a pushrod engine in that 5.4L too. They were pushing the "oval" theme hard on the interior and exterior too. Thank Goodness Mulaley took over shortly after, and fixed all that nonsense.

Reactions: tman66 and Chris
I'd stay away from the Ford 5.4L Triton. Is that the engine in it? I had lots of problems with mine in an 05 F250. And everything is hard to get to in the engine

Reactions: tman66 and Chris
Ford did a lot of weird things in that generation of truck. Three valves per cylinder, I think they tried out a cam phaser on a pushrod engine in that 5.4L too. They were pushing the "oval" theme hard on the interior and exterior too. Thank Goodness Mulaley took over shortly after, and fixed all that nonsense.
I'm not a Ford guy, but when that truck came out I went to the Ford dealer for the 1st time in my life. I had a nice F150 4x4 custom ordered until I figured out I was too backwards on my Z-28.

Hell Yeah it's got a 5.4! :lol:
I know what a handshake means here in TX, but I'm not sure it's not worth it to walk away. My brother-in-law blew his 5.4 in an Excursion. The plugs are difficult to replace because Ford's design was poor and they kept breaking off. It's not a fun job to get them out. They actually redesigned them for replacements. The valves tend to go bad and that's a $2,000+ fix. Just looking out for you my friend...At least look into the 5.4 Triton engine before you ante up. My previous 5.4L at 136K was having so many problems it drove me to research about 30 different vehicles/engines (GMC Colorado, Ford Ranger, Range Rover, Land Rover, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra, H2's, Pathfinder, et. al. and those are the best ones, the only one's I can remember, except the sorry British Range Rover that has so many problems it's a waste). My conclusion was the 4.0 TJ far and above.

I echo the 5.4 sentiment. While I've never owned one, my brother had one for a while. That thing was plagued with nothing but problems. He eventually sold it and got a Toyota Tundra, which hasn't had an issue since.