I'm in the club With a 97

Phillips

IMG_0044.JPG
Finally found me a TJ. Taken me a couple of weeks to figure out what all has been molested on it in the past 20 years. Lots of questions on what I need to do to get everything right. Don't know where to begin. Looks like it has stock Dana 30/35 but gears have been changed to 4.56. Not sure what tires need to run. Drives like a dump truck with 31's on it now. I think it's a 4" lift. Drives good and everything is tight but looks like stock drive shafts. Any advice to a newb would be appreciated. Not planning on any hard off roading but I want everything done right.

Reactions: Txbigun and Kathy
Welcome aboard! How do you know the gears were changed to 4.56? It's very likely it has a Dana 30 / Dana 35 combo. It could have a Dana 44 rear end, but those are pretty uncommon.

It does look like a 4" lift to me, and I don't see any body lift either. The first thing I'd do is put some 32" or 33" tires on it. Those 31" tires look too small with the 4" lift.

This things are pretty darn reliable when properly maintained. There's a guy on here with 600k miles on his stock 4.0 engine. He's never done any internal engine work to it at all, only had to re-build the transmission a few times, and do basic maintenance!

Maintain it, and it will last forever!

Welcome! Probably rides like crap due to poor shocks. Inexpensive lifts skimp on shocks which are what primarily dictate ride quality. You definitely have room for 33's so get to it :D

Reactions: JMT
Speedo was reading way fast but I was confused because the 31's on it now are about the same size as the stock 265's so I found a thread showing me how to count the drive shaft revs per tire rev and spot on to 4.56 gears. This forum is awesome. Thanks for all you do to keep it up. I agree the 31's look tiny. I'm thnking some 33's might be my next investment.

Reactions: Chris
Can't tell for sure how wore out your tires are, but if they are ready to be replaced, I'd go with some 33X1050X15" BFG KO2's. They would fill the wheel wells much better and be nicer with your 4.56 gears.

Reactions: Chris and Kevin E
Awesome news man, I'm glad you're making such use of the forum, that's what it's here for!

I do like the KO2's. I think that might be the way I go. best I can tell the rear drive shaft is stock. Doesn't seem to vibrate at all but I've read that with a 4" lift I should go with a SYE and CV shaft. Any thoughts? Steering wants to wander a little but not bad. Can't find anything worn out like tie rods or anything. Is a little play in the steering normal with a 4" lift?

Reactions: Kathy
With a 4" lift you should indeed have a SYE and CV driveshaft if you want to do it properly (a transfer case drop is only a temporary fix in my opinion).

As far as wandering steering goes, that's usually the result of improper alignment / toe-in. Also, if you have a drop pitman arm, that's a big mistake and will cause lots of wandering with the steering (as well as bump steer). Make sure there is not a drop pitman arm on there.

There should be no play at all in the steering with any lift, not if it's done properly and all the components are not worn out.

I think I do have a dropped pitman arm but my track bar and drag link seem to be parallel so I was confused about that also. I don't know if I have a transfer case drop or not. How can I tell?

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

That is definitely a dropped pitman arm. Can we get a pic of the Track bar at the frame mount please.

I like that it's a manual! I'd suggest an adams double cardan drive shaft and teraflex slip yoke eliminator. Relatively cheap and seems to have quite favorable reviews. (eBay has em for
Like $450 as a set)

View attachment 21069 View attachment 21068 Looks like I do have a xfer case drop. The track bar bracket is welded to the frame so I assumed it was stock but not sure.
Your trackbar is not welded at the frame. You remove that cotter pin, loosen the bolt and bang it with a big hammer and it will eventually drop out. It has a tapered end. It can be a pain

Reactions: Chris
It looks like you have a stock track bar. that in conjunction with a drop pitman arm appears to be a poor combination. Get a stock pitman arm back on there.

I agree, get a stock pitman arm on there ASAP. There is no reason to be running a dropped pitman arm, unless you have some sort of uber custom setup, or you're around 6" or more of suspension lift.