• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

I'm now a Jeep person after 43 years on this planet

gottifour

Hey all!! I'm new to the Jeep world by accident, not sure why I never really got into them because my dad had a few CJ's when I was a kid. I always had trucks but then of all things I ended up with an $800 73' DJ-5. I'm pretty good with electronics since I collect older arcade games and have always been into phones and computers.

The DJ came into my life and I was addicted to learning how to change and fix things on it even though it ran when I got it. I'm ashamed to say I changed oil for the first time at the age of like 40!! :LOL: I have a list of things I did to that one but I'll spare you since this is the TJ forum after all.

So now I've ended up with a 2002 Wrangler X and have been adding parts to it almost daily.... Running out of money though!!

Happy to be here and look forward to reading and sharing as much as possible!!
20190730_085300-COLLAGE.jpg

20190728_194302.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Only 43 years? Now you'll bet you're asking yourself why it didn't happen sooner, huh?

Seriously though, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase. Once you get bitten by the Jeep bug, there's no turning back!

bobthetj03

vibrajeep
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I wasn't too far behind you. Didn't get mine till I was 38. Welcome to an empty wallet!

Reactions: gottifour

bromel

TJ Enthusiast
Welcome!

Not to be a wet blanket, but just an FYI to check out that frame; it looks a little crusty from the photos. Lots of great resources on this site about how to apply fluid film, POR-15, and other products to keep the rust at bay. The more you do now, the less costly it will be down the road.

OP
gottifour

gottifour

Welcome!

Not to be a wet blanket, but just an FYI to check out that frame; it looks a little crusty from the photos. Lots of great resources on this site about how to apply fluid film, POR-15, and other products to keep the rust at bay. The more you do now, the less costly it will be down the road.
Yeah it's the biggest problem that I want to address ASAP! I've watched a lot of POR-15 videos and think I'm going to go that route. I've also read they rust from the inside out so that worries me. I did drill some holes in the frame based on some videos. I guess they didn't come with a drain hole which seems like an odd design.

Reactions: bromel

Mike the Silver TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Absolute huge improvement in your before and after pictures. My Dad owned a tire/wheel store when I was growing up and to this day it still amazes me how much the look of a vehicle can be changed by tires and wheels. Nice looking Jeep! I was 49 when I got my TJ.

OP
gottifour

gottifour

Absolute huge improvement in your before and after pictures. My Dad owned a tire/wheel store when I was growing up and to this day it still amazes me how much the look of a vehicle can be changed by tires and wheels. Nice looking Jeep! I was 49 when I got my TJ.
I agree about the tires and wheels it goes from a random stock thing that you see 30 times a day to something different.... at least a little different at least. I will say it's really fun driving this thing around and I look forward to some dirt, mud or snow. Not the biggest lift or tires but still should be fun.

OP
gottifour

gottifour

Yeah it's the biggest problem that I want to address ASAP! I've watched a lot of POR-15 videos and think I'm going to go that route. I've also read they rust from the inside out so that worries me. I did drill some holes in the frame based on some videos. I guess they didn't come with a drain hole which seems like an odd design.
So now I'm thinking twice about the POR 15 after hearing about it trapping rust in if it isn't prepped properly. Seems like an ordeal to make that happen if I even posses the proper skills.

Thinking about maybe cleaning up the rust, some sort of rust reformer and then maybe Cosmoline on the outside and fluid film on the inside after a good clean out?

I'm sure this is a huge debate and this probably isn't the thread for that. :)

jodomcfrodo

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm in Chicagoland as well. The winters can be rough on vehicles (and especially TJ frames). The inside is all the matters. The outside of the frame is only useful as an indicator of the inside. I would get a borescope and really see what is going on in there before you do any big things to the Jeep. Some rust can be fixed, but a lot of internal rust is going be an issue.

Just for reference, here is the inside of my old frame:

fullsizeoutput_53c.jpeg

OP
gottifour

gottifour

I'm in Chicagoland as well. The winters can be rough on vehicles (and especially TJ frames). The inside is all the matters. The outside of the frame is only useful as an indicator of the inside. I would get a borescope and really see what is going on in there before you do any big things to the Jeep. Some rust can be fixed, but a lot of internal rust is going be an issue.

Just for reference, here is the inside of my old frame:

View attachment 109985
Yeah I already have one in my Amazon cart for that reason. I'm actually in Northwest Indiana by the lake so not that far from you. Did you swap your frame yourself or have somebody else do it? Preparing for the worst!

OP
gottifour

gottifour

Tank you!
Living in Hamburg has made me a Sankt Pauli fan. Not the best team in the league but the best fan club!
I love how everybody goes with the town/city you're from regardless of the quality. We do that here to some extent but not as faithfully as you guys do!

I've adopted Chelsea and followed Dormun quite a bit due to then giving Pulisic a shot which was huge as an American! And now he's on the team I follow..... Very happy!

Ok I'll stop with this talk now because I KNOW It's bored the whole forum! 😁