I'm scared to drive my TJ far

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ok been having some bad luck in the Jeep lately. She has really let me down and I am having a hard time putting my trust back in her. Multiple stalls two fuel pumps, Crankshaft position sensor, upgraded cooling all mopar. I been riding around and it's running fine just like before when it stalled no warning, no codes no lights just like it said well I'm done. I just cant shake the feeling that it's going to just give up on me again. I dont feel comfortable taking her to far although I did join AAA specifically for the reason I own this unpredictable "hwy brick"

Ok know I got that out we all know I am not kicking her to the curb "yeah I know I am TJ whipped" what are the alternatives. With OEM parts getting sparse and aftermarket parts being chewed up and spit out what's our future plan?

Can we make our Jeeps reliable again! Is there a way to replace the OEM pumps and sensors with maybee a motor swap? I know very little about all this, but I really dont want to give it up. I want to drive my Jeep without being skeered. If that means putting more money into it I am ready for a plan. I really dont want a two door JK but if that's my option then😫

You've already fixed a bunch of broken stuff, right? There can't be that much more that needs fixing. Look at it like everything you do is making it more reliable. There's no reason to assume something else is going to break until it breaks, and you can worry about it then.

Look at the whole Jeep. Make a list of whatever you see that could potentially be a problem and work towards figuring it out. Take things apart and put them back together so you know the state of things. Get to know the Jeep.

Reactions: HYRYSC and Hopper
If it isn't right, make it so. Only you know if it is or isn't. Once you've done that, it will give you miles of smiles!

Reactions: Hopper
Thanks guys. Hopefully got it were it needs to be. Not gonna worry about till it flakes on me again. Putting it on the hwy tomorrow for about a 2 hr drive to see if it will not die on me after all this work.

Frustrating, but hang in there, hopefully you're past all the mishaps. If she doesn't give you any trouble for awhile, you're being skeered will go away.

Heh heh, mine's been doing this too although I expected it as the PO did absolutely nothing to this thing but change the engine oil. Seems like every time I fix something there's something else that breaks. I changed my plugs, soon after the TPS dies. I changed my diffy, tcase, and tranny fluid, the starter dies. I'm thankful it hasn't left me stranded due to any of these (starter died in the garage) but it certainly could have. Consider it part of the experience. I play with old Harleys and British bikes too, they are also known for making you push or walk. Carry some tools and some things like duct tape, wire, zip ties, gallon of water, etc with you. Hopefully whatever breaks lets you get home, and if not, hopefully you can fix it on the side of the road.

Funny, not long ago there was a thread about the simplicity of the TJs versus the JK/JLs. I couldn't help but chuckle. These things still have computers and sensors that can fail and leave you stranded. Back in the days of points and carburetors there was nothing you couldn't fix on the side of the road outside of a catastrophic failure like a rod thru the block. You could pretty much always get em' to run. Maybe not well, but they got you home.

I guess I can't relate. I've owned 4 TJs and never had trouble with any of them, all of which I've driven long distances.

I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to drive any TJ I've ever owned across the country and back.

If you maintain them and take care of them, they are just as reliable as any other vehicle on the road, honestly.

Reactions: B252 and Hopper
I guess I can't relate. I've owned 4 TJs and never had trouble with any of them, all of which I've driven long distances.

I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to drive any TJ I've ever owned across the country and back.

If you maintain them and take care of them, they are just as reliable as any other vehicle on the road, honestly.

Agreed, but in my case its what the PO maintained or didn't maintain. It takes a while to get it all sorted out. That being said I don't worry about it or any of my vehicles breaking down on me. I usually carry some tools and if I can't roadside fix it, I deal with it. NBD.

Agreed, but in my case its what the PO maintained or didn't maintain. It takes a while to get it all sorted out. That being said I don't worry about it or any of my vehicles breaking down on me. I usually carry some tools and if I can't roadside fix it, I deal with it. NBD.

Of course, that's why I've always been about paying more for vehicles with either lower miles, or documented maintenance history. It costs you more upfront, but generally they've been taken care of very well.

The good news is that once you get your TJ up to snuff with all the maintenance stuff, they really are reliable vehicles. Shitty fuel economy, yes, but very dependable to say the least.

Of course, that's why I've always been about paying more for vehicles with either lower miles, or documented maintenance history. It costs you more upfront, but generally they've been taken care of very well.

The good news is that once you get your TJ up to snuff with all the maintenance stuff, they really are reliable vehicles. Shitty fuel economy, yes, but very dependable to say the least.

Yeah, this is all true. I've still got that mindset from when I was a teenager that I have unlimited time to fix things so if I get em' cheap and gotta do a "little work" no big deal, I've got the tools, the talent, and the time. I've really gotta get over that cause I sure as hell don't have the time anymore! I was looking for a TJ for a while after selling my second CJ5. I looked at several low mileage well maintained ones up here, but the problem is, rust doesn't discriminate. Most of the owners of these never even knew that the frames were starting to have serious issues. I was considering bringing one in from Texas or California since before the Covid I was going there a lot. This one popped up on the side of the road. Needed plenty of small stuff, but the frame was very good, no rot, no holes, no nuthin'. That up here is priceless, so I bought it. She's getting close to sorted out but like most all of em', she will never be done lol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it was cheap, as in under $3k, and a Sahara with Dana 44.

Reactions: boostedv6 and Chris
Yeah, this is all true. I've still got that mindset from when I was a teenager that I have unlimited time to fix things so if I get em' cheap and gotta do a "little work" no big deal, I've got the tools, the talent, and the time. I've really gotta get over that cause I sure as hell don't have the time anymore! I was looking for a TJ for a while after selling my second CJ5. I looked at several low mileage well maintained ones up here, but the problem is, rust doesn't discriminate. Most of the owners of these never even knew that the frames were starting to have serious issues. I was considering bringing one in from Texas or California since before the Covid I was going there a lot. This one popped up on the side of the road. Needed plenty of small stuff, but the frame was very good, no rot, no holes, no nuthin'. That up here is priceless, so I bought it. She's getting close to sorted out but like most all of em', she will never be done lol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it was cheap, as in under $3k, and a Sahara with Dana 44.

Yep, I think most of us had that mentality when we were really young. I know when I was a teen (and even into my twenties) I would buy things that were huge projects, telling myself that I had all the time in the world to get it done.

Now with three kids, a wife, and a lot of responsibilities, I would rather just pay more for something that doesn't need any work done to it. Funny how that works, isn't it?

And yes, I suspect that a lot of people who are selling "clean" TJs probably have no idea about how prone the frames are to rusting. I've seen some advertised as clean or "rust free", only to get under them and find they had plenty of rust. Some people are trying to hide it, but others simply didn't know about the rust issues to begin with.

is anything pending that you might think needs fixing? I know my TJ needed a new radiator and I always kept my eye on it but still took it on long trips but i'd have the worry of damn what if it goes out.

Well it only went out when in extreme conditions... that means up in the mountains steep grades in 119 degree weather.. it finally gave out.

I replaced it while up in the mountains and good to go... of course I was still worried because now I was thinking what if... but so far so good after 500 miles i've stopped worrying again and I can enjoy my TJ without looking at the temp every 30 seconds.

is anything pending that you might think needs fixing? I know my TJ needed a new radiator and I always kept my eye on it but still took it on long trips but i'd have the worry of damn what if it goes out.

Well it only went out when in extreme conditions... that means up in the mountains steep grades in 119 degree weather.. it finally gave out.

I replaced it while up in the mountains and good to go... of course I was still worried because now I was thinking what if... but so far so good after 500 miles i've stopped worrying again and I can enjoy my TJ without looking at the temp every 30 seconds.
Just replaced the cooling system from Chris's write up, mopar crankshaft position sensor. Hopefully hooking up with a friend of mine who is a retired mechanic to go over things and see what needs replacing. This jeep was great for two years until I needed a fuel pump. I am hoping that the new pump "Napa" was the culprit for it dying. Had the Napa pump replaced with a Delphi pump so fingers crossed.
I have not looked at the camshaft position sensor but will with my buddy and see what he thinks.
I never learned alot about how to work on vehicles, wish I did. I have a feeling this Jeep is a great learning tool😝 Appreciate this forum and all yalls help.

Yeah, the point I was trying to make is, if you know there's something pending that could be bad it might add to your anxiety of driving it far.

Now that i've replaced... almost everything I have a lot of confidence in my Jeep to get me anywhere.. literally anywhere.

Reactions: Hopper and EzPeezy
I can relate. But I no longer have that fear. Both issues I've had that had that would leave me on the side of the road stranded were self-inflicted. First time, I overheated 2 hours away coming home from Rausch (my coolant level was low, but still did a full cooling system flush and replacement of water pump, hoses, radiator to help me sleep at night) and second time, I thought my NV3550 was going bad/clutch going bad when it was an improper master cylinder and slave install and bad shifting due to my body lift installation. (Knock on wood) haven't had any issues since and she drives like a dream. I still don't drive the TJ too far (max is 2 hrs away) because I prefer my SUV for comfort reasons.

Mine goes through cycles where problems build up until I find the time to fix them or farm it out to a shop. Right now I wouldn't take my TJ too far but last year I drove it across the country and back twice. All TJ's are at least a 14 year old vehicle and things may sometimes pop up, but if you keep spare parts in the Jeep and fix every problem that you know of, they are pretty reliable.

Thanks guys. Hopefully got it were it needs to be. Not gonna worry about till it flakes on me again. Putting it on the hwy tomorrow for about a 2 hr drive to see if it will not die on me after all this work.
Well I just live about 2 hours from you bud, so bring it on up here to me and I will take care of her till you miss her ..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: