I'm seriously thinking about getting a Rubicon 392

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
Since this is the TJ forum I am going to start out by saying I'm NOT planning to get rid of my LJR, this will probably be a replacement for my GMC 1500 or simply an additional vehicle.

I really dont like the 4 door Jeep JLs but the 392 is only available in a 4 door. If I was buying v6 Jeep, it would absolutely be a 2 door.

I've watched lots of videos and really like that engine in a Jeep.

I've saved and invested my entire life and that has all gone very very well, it may just be time to splurge a little.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you're aware but most dealers are still adding about 10-20k to the MSRP. Hell, one close to me wants +50K!!!

We recently picked up a JLURD and it's a great vehicle. I don't have anything bad to say about the JL platform at this point other than the aftermarket parts are about 3x for everything on a TJ lol..

Reactions: Tldelaney
I'm sure you're aware but most dealers are still adding about 10-20k to the MSRP. Hell, one close to me wants +50K!!!

We recently picked up a JLURD and it's a great vehicle. I don't have anything bad to say about the JL platform at this point other than the aftermarket parts are about 3x for everything on a TJ lol..
I am certain they are hard to get but I did not expect 10-20K over MSRP! Local Jeep dealer has only about 4 JL's overall and one Gladiator so it will definitely be a while....

Only person I’ve seen that didn’t completely like it was Kevin from Litebrite. Might be worth looking up his review.

Out of curiosity, why the 392 vs a Diesel?

Are they putting the truck 6.4 or the SRT based 6.4 in the Wranglers?
From C&D

"Three ninety two. Those three numbers denote FCA's 6.4-liter (392 cubic inch) V-8 that's found in 392 versions of the Dodge Challenger, Charger, and Durango as well as the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. In the Wrangler Rubicon 392, the naturally aspirated eight cylinder produces 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque that's sent to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Jeep claims that it'll reach 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and run through the quarter-mile in 13.0 seconds."

From C&D

"Three ninety two. Those three numbers denote FCA's 6.4-liter (392 cubic inch) V-8 that's found in 392 versions of the Dodge Challenger, Charger, and Durango as well as the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. In the Wrangler Rubicon 392, the naturally aspirated eight cylinder produces 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque that's sent to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Jeep claims that it'll reach 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and run through the quarter-mile in 13.0 seconds."

Okay, that makes the price make more sense. I was wondering how they were justifying the Power Wagon with the 6.4 starting at $54k and the Wrangler with 6.4 starting at $75k.

Not a fan, perhaps I will be able to make it through the video if I speed it up.
In a nutshell, they prefer the tuned v8 and trans they have. They didn't like the front CV's and full time 4wd TC.

Also, they made sure to plug for their own America's most wanted engine swap. - which I would assume subsidized the cost of the swap.

Last edited: