I'm seriously thinking about getting a Rubicon 392

The 392- the problem is going to be getting one at all- inside deals, the dealers nephew, internet orders (my buddy bought a new Shelby Cobra recently, had it transported to his house) ...I’m not saying never, but in todays climate those are going to be extremely sought after. Take the best selling Jeep ever and slap a 6.4 in it while toys are hot and cars are scarce...u betcha.

Not too familiar either myself. First 2 door 392 I’ve come across tho. The 392 by itself is 35k for engine and labor. The jeep itself was roughly 44-45k. Whomever traded that in lost a bunch of money.

Wheats off-road just dropped a 392 in their orange JLU not too from you.

Reactions: Starrs
So why not swap an LS into a TJ or LJ? Can get that much power pretty easily and end up with a way better power to weight ratio. For less money too, even if you pay someone to do it.
1628639917226.gif

Out of curiosity, why the 392 vs a Diesel?
Hemi vrs a new gen 3.0 diesel that has a high and low egr.

With current epa gestapho going after alot of diesel tuners (family memeber is in the biz) including the reputable ones IMHO the hemi is a better chioce .

This comes somebody that has wanted a diesel wrangler since I was 15. I am in the same boat as the OP have done well and my wife said go buy one . I bought a non rubicon Lj and have a tdi diesel that will make it in there eventually. There is no way I am driving around in a Fiat , I have a rep to protect.

Reactions: Chris
So why not swap an LS into a TJ or LJ? Can get that much power pretty easily and end up with a way better power to weight ratio. For less money too, even if you pay someone to do it.
I get it. My background is in military aviation. I have always done maintenance and small repairs on my vehicles and like doing it. I have learned even more since getting into TJ's. Thats a long way to go before getting into swapping engines. Even if I find a very good shop to do it I would have spent a lot of money on a vehicle without a warranty and questionable resale value. I would LOVE to have an LS in my LJR, it just seems like a project that is overwhelming. If I ever went the engine swap route I would get another TJ/LJ so I could still drive it while the other was getting updated.

I get it. My background is in military aviation. I have always done maintenance and small repairs on my vehicles and like doing it. I have learned even more since getting into TJ's. Thats a long way to go before getting into swapping engines. Even if I find a very good shop to do it I would have spent a lot of money on a vehicle without a warranty and questionable resale value. I would LOVE to have an LS in my LJR, it just seems like a project that is overwhelming. If I ever went the engine swap route I would get another TJ/LJ so I could still drive it while the other was getting updated.
Sounds familiar

Somehow I think there would be more smiles per mile for me in a Rubicon 392 than an F-350.
I got to drive a 392 the other day, I promise, the smiles are real. It's an absolute blast. Instant power and lots of it, and the glorious sounds!

PXL_20210731_174324318.jpg

You may have overlooked the thread title:

I'm seriously thinking about getting Rubicon 392

If I was in this position I’d wait it out a year. It seems Ford and Jeep are in an arms race. I bet there’s a sweet bronco within the next year.

It’s sorta like someone saying they are gonna ask Christy Brinkley out-she probably is already with someone that has more money.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
If I bought one of these I probably couldn’t use it for anything other than as a daily driver. My TJ has more pinstripes than you can count from driving through the brambles and not just a few dings here and there. If I bought a brand new vehicle pushing $100k I couldn’t bring myself to do that, so what use would it be other than for showing it off at the mall?

If I bought one of these I probably couldn’t use it for anything other than as a daily driver. My TJ has more pinstripes than you can count from driving through the brambles and not just a few dings here and there. If I bought a brand new vehicle pushing $100k I couldn’t bring myself to do that, so what use would it be other than for showing it off at the mall?
I see the TJ as a same day adventure vehicle, maybe 1-2 days offroading. I see the 392 as an overlanding vehicle, 4-7 day trips into the wilderness.