Impact and accessories

I feel really stupid for asking this, but here goes. My in-laws got me a cordless impact for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K194N1C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I only have a few impact sockets and would like to buy a set. Am I better off getting impact deep well metric and SAE sets or impact shallow sets first?

I have both a shallow and deep set of impact sockets. I find that I never, ever use the deep ones, only the shallow sockets.

That's just my experience personally, but usually I find myself putting on a short 1/2" extension if I need to extend one of the shallow sockets.

Reactions: Serbonze
I usually use my deep sockets more than my shallow ones. I just find it easier to use a deep without an extension, than a shallow with a short extension.

Truthfully, I use both shallow well and deep well sockets. They all have a time and a place and a use. I have a craftsman set that has both. I've had them for 20 plus years.

I bought deep sockets when I bought my impact. Shallow ones haven't even come to mind. How's the power with your cordless impact wrench?

I ended up buying deep well sockets.

I have not had a chance to use the impact yet (just got the Jeep back from a transmission rebuild).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E and Chris
I haven't. If you end up getting one, post a link to what you end up going with. It would be a nice investment for me.

I changed all of my gear around today. I ditched the 40mm ammo cans (they are heavy and even heavier when packed with gear). I bought two of these instead, one for recovery gear and one for tools and parts.

IMG_4375.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T4XL4HM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The impact fits perfectly in the one loaded with tools.

Reactions: Chris
I like the look of those, good find. I think I'm going to order one for myself.

Heck, I could even keep some ammo in this!

I have both a shallow and deep set of impact sockets. I find that I never, ever use the deep ones, only the shallow sockets.

That's just my experience personally, but usually I find myself putting on a short 1/2" extension if I need to extend one of the shallow sockets.
When you graduate to smaller impacts for ease of use, you'll find that an extension robs power and you need a deeper socket without an extension to transfer the power more efficiently to a stubborn fastener.

Same things apply to keeping the impact square to the socket and not trying to force it off angle when clearances are tight.

As for the hard case dilemma, boxes have an unspoken and unbroken rule. If you have a box, it has to be full. If you want the best example of that, get Jerry to post up some pics of the back of his TJ. He has so much crap in the big ass box in the back that it has lowered the rear of his rig by at least 2" and it sits lower than the front. When he leaves my house and heads up the slight hill to the first turn, it looks like he is about to do a wheelie.

That means no matter what you store it in, you'll keep throwing crap in it until it won't hold any more. Then your space robbing box is not only full, but it now weighs far more than it should be because it is full of mostly useless crap that has to be dug through to get to the useful crap and now you pay a weight penalty, a clutter penalty and a "now where the f**k did I put that" penalty. I have several cordless power tools. Most of them came with hard cases. The first thing I do with most of them is throw the case away. There are some exceptions-

Bosch multi tool because it has places and storage for the blades and attachments.
Bosch Hammer Drill for the same reasons.
Bosch Demo Hammer for the same reasons.

But they are also tools I don't use on a regular basis.

I changed all of my gear around today. I ditched the 40mm ammo cans (they are heavy and even heavier when packed with gear). I bought two of these instead, one for recovery gear and one for tools and parts.

View attachment 9408
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T4XL4HM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The impact fits perfectly in the one loaded with tools.
Some one has some really crappy math unless I'm missing something.
1 for 15.29
2 for 59.00 WTF???????
3 for 76 Double WTF???????

Some one has some really crappy math unless I'm missing something.
1 for 15.29
2 for 59.00 WTF???????
3 for 76 Double WTF???????

Haha, nice catch. Either I'm missing something here, or these guys are trying to charge you MORE to buy in bulk.

When you graduate to smaller impacts for ease of use, you'll find that an extension robs power and you need a deeper socket without an extension to transfer the power more efficiently to a stubborn fastener.

Same things apply to keeping the impact square to the socket and not trying to force it off angle when clearances are tight.

As for the hard case dilemma, boxes have an unspoken and unbroken rule. If you have a box, it has to be full. If you want the best example of that, get Jerry to post up some pics of the back of his TJ. He has so much crap in the big ass box in the back that it has lowered the rear of his rig by at least 2" and it sits lower than the front. When he leaves my house and heads up the slight hill to the first turn, it looks like he is about to do a wheelie.

That means no matter what you store it in, you'll keep throwing crap in it until it won't hold any more. Then your space robbing box is not only full, but it now weighs far more than it should be because it is full of mostly useless crap that has to be dug through to get to the useful crap and now you pay a weight penalty, a clutter penalty and a "now where the f**k did I put that" penalty. I have several cordless power tools. Most of them came with hard cases. The first thing I do with most of them is throw the case away. There are some exceptions-

Bosch multi tool because it has places and storage for the blades and attachments.
Bosch Hammer Drill for the same reasons.
Bosch Demo Hammer for the same reasons.

But they are also tools I don't use on a regular basis.

Now I've gotta see this @Jerry Bransford.

I know what you're saying Blaine. You add one thing, then add another, and another, and before you know it you've got more shit in your trunk than you needed to begin with. Having to dig through all of it just to find what you're looking for becomes a hassle in and of it's own.

Ha my big box in the rear is nearly full but it's not really that heavy. It has nothing unusual in it other than a spare rear driveshaft and yoke since busting both up several years ago. Just an abbreviated set of 3/8" & 1/2" metric/SAE tools but the rest of the items are not unusual for the trail. Spare radiator hoses, serpentine belt, Safety Seal tire repair kit, quart each of ATF+4 and gear lube, spare control arm bolts, and jumper cables with a welding stinger plus some welding rod. Not even a welding hood, just arc welding goggles. Oh and some electrical repair stuff like wire, crimp terminals, volt meter, a small SWR meter. I could leave the SWR meter back at camp I guess.

What prompted me to start carrying a bit more was a series of breakages that happened within about a 6' section of a trail called Pumpkin Eater one day. One breakage caused another which caused another breakage. It made for a tough 2-3 hours which involved welding, piecing driveshafts together, replacing a yoke, broken bolts, wheel, etc. to get it driveable again.

As you can see its rear is definitely not sagging. :)

DSC00253002.jpg

Last edited:
Ha my big box in the rear is nearly full but it's not really that heavy. It has nothing unusual in it other than a spare rear driveshaft and yoke since busting both up several years ago. Just an abbreviated set of 3/8" & 1/2" metric/SAE tools but the rest of the items are not unusual for the trail. Spare radiator hoses, serpentine belt, Safety Seal tire repair kit, quart each of ATF+4 and gear lube, spare control arm bolts, and jumper cables with a welding stinger plus some welding rod. Not even a welding hood, just arc welding goggles. Oh and some electrical repair stuff like wire, crimp terminals, volt meter, a small SWR meter. I could leave the SWR meter back at camp I guess.

What prompted me to start carrying a bit more was a series of breakages that happened within about a 6' section of a trail called Pumpkin Eater one day. One breakage caused another which caused another breakage. It made for a tough 2-3 hours which involved welding, piecing driveshafts together, replacing a yoke, broken bolts, wheel, etc. to get it driveable again.

As you can see its rear is definitely not sagging. :)

View attachment 9420
My friend Bill had the same box in the back of his TJ. During the last little round of mods so we could lower it a bit so he can get in and out easier, I commented to him that his box had to weigh over 400 lbs even though he protested vehemently that I was wrong and it couldn't be any more than half that.

After he got me the box weight, Matt and I pulled every item out of it, tossed each on scale and threw it back in the box. Added it up when we were done and it was right at 390 lbs. He has since put it on a diet, got rid of the box, and trimmed down the extraneous crap that other folks want him to carry and now he just carries for himself.

I did the same thing about 9-10 years ago.

I'll get a pic the next time you leave the house and we'll compare. ;)

390 lbs? Holy cow...

The backend has to be sagging with that weight back there.

My son just added lift to the back of his jeep so it will ride level when it is loaded for camping. I'm thinking that I've spent a lot of time in the woods with what I could carry on my back with a canoe. Couldn't you just carry less shit?

My son just added lift to the back of his jeep so it will ride level when it is loaded for camping. I'm thinking that I've spent a lot of time in the woods with what I could carry on my back with a canoe. Couldn't you just carry less shit?
I carried less than 40 lbs. in my backpack when I only had to worry about keeping me going. ;)