Impact drill suggestions?

Milwaukee though that's a very spendy brand. After that Dewalt. If the sky's the limit, go Snap-On. Personally I'd be thrilled with a Milwaukee, that's a solid brand, as is the lower cost Dewalt :)

Reactions: jeep2000
I use Ridgid because of lifetime warranty. There are a few paperwork hoops to go through, but that warranty extends even to batteries. I got the impact and driver combo kit with 2 batteries for $150 2 years ago and have been trouble-free. I use their table saw, jigsaw and circular saw as well. Pleased with all, though the jigsaw required a bit of a learning curve (no pun intended).

I think an answer depends on how much power you need and what you are going to use it for. I have a 1/2" Makita impact and the thing is big and heavy, which makes it awkward for smaller jobs. I wanted something that was lighter, easier to handle, and fit into smaller spaces. I ended up getting a Makita (all of my power tools are Makita because they can share the same batteries) XWT12ZB from eBay during one of their $25 off anything promotions. It's a very light 3/8" drive impact that has enough power to remove the lug nuts off of the Jeep.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794GZB9V/?tag=wranglerorg-20

*edit* If you click the Amazon link and look at the last picture, they are working on a TJ front swaybar. :)

Reactions: Equilibrium31
I have the Milwaukee 18v mid torque fuel and it's a great tool. I haven't used my air impact gun since I acquired the Milwaukee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a Milwaukee Impact screwdriver and I love it. It doesn't have the nut for lugnuts and stuff though. I'm still old school and use an air impact. I have a giant compressor so haven't felt the need to grab battery powered impacts.

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
I was old school with air tools for the last 30 yrs until I bought the Milwaukee.....now I guess I'm new school.

I still use other air tools, but for an impact I'm finding it hard to like the air gun vs the battery powered.

Dewalt vs Milwaukee I only have Milwaukee, so I can't comment intelligently besides saying I like Milwaukee. My guess is you can't go wrong with either. One piece of advice is pick one and stick with that brand so all your batteries interchange.

I have the Milwaukee brushless line and am satisfied. If you buy at the right time of year you can get deals on free additional batteries.

When you say you're looking for an impact drill are you meaning an impact wrench for running nuts and bolts or a drill for drilling holes and running screws?

Last edited:
I have the Milwaukee M18 impact driver. Its solid, no complaints. I previously had a Ryobi that lasted me 10 years, but that was a 14 volt. When I was accessing which platform to jump on, the Dewalt 20v was a close 2nd but opted for Milwaukee due to the sales going on at the time.

These batteries are wicked expensive, so try to find a kit that includes a battery or two. Look out for sales as they are usually around, and every now and again Home Depot has a random wacky sale on one or two Milwaukee items. Last month I picked up a sawzall for $120 which helped me immensely when I made my hardtop carrier.

With regards to batteries be aware that there are at least three different battery sizes in the Milwaukee 18v line. So make sure if comparing prices you are comparing apples to apples.

Reactions: skrelnik
Milwaukee or Dewalt would be my choice. Just remember, they have different models with different torque ratings. Buy the best one you can afford, and you should be happy with it.

These batteries are wicked expensive, so try to find a kit that includes a battery or two. Look out for sales as they are usually around, and every now and again Home Depot has a random wacky sale on one or two Milwaukee items. Last month I picked up a sawzall for $120 which helped me immensely when I made my hardtop carrier.

This is the best advice. Look for a battery included and even better a pair of batteries with a base charger. I'm keen on my Makita cordless drivers but I’ve also had good success with Dewalt. The batteries add considerable weight and bulk so actually handling the tool before you buy makes a difference.

This is the best advice. Look for a battery included and even better a pair of batteries with a base charger. I'm keen on my Makita cordless drivers but I’ve also had good success with Dewalt. The batteries add considerable weight and bulk so actually handling the tool before you buy makes a difference.

I noticed that when the wacky sales happen a few people buy up the goods and resell them on Ebay. Compare prices and options between, Ebay, CPOtools and Google.

Also, nobody has mentioned the Harbor Freight tools Drillmaster, Bauer or Hercules. Curious if anyone used them as $19.99 for a drill and battery is super cheap.

https://m.harborfreight.com/18-volt...systems-for-every-skill-level-and-budget/amp/

Millwalkie #1... been using the 12 volt daily for 10 years. After that Makita. My old tools, 20 plus years old are Makita, all corded tho. DeWalt used to be a standard for contractors but for the past 15 years, they have been marketing to the home owner handyman. Maybe they have some quality contractor grade tools too but don't buy a DeWalt because it costs less, you are likely getting less tool too. Think metal shafts and gears in plastic instead of metal. Which is what most of the cheap tools do. Don't drop them.

And as powdermonkey says..... nothing is more industrial than Hilti.

Reactions: Powdermonkey