Impact Jack (LJ Rubi build)

LJRubicon

TJ Enthusiast
I have wanted an LJ as long as I can remember. 3 friends had them when brand new. I thought they looked goofy at stock height but one of them lifted it pretty quickly and put on some 35s. It was magic. I've had a love affair ever since. For one reason or another over the years I just couldn't obtain one. In November of 2021, that all changed. I had a JKR that was paid off. A damn nice Jeep but just to short of a wheelbase for my liking. A 4 door is just to long for me. I found a guy on Marketplace that had a LJR on 1 tons and 40s that wanted another JK. He said this LJR was just to big for him. It was a half done project but it was streetable. It had a Sterling in the rear(4.10 LSD), a Dana 60 up front. 4 linked rear, 3 link front, Heim joints, Artec brackets, Rock Jock Anti-Rock in the front. 40" Nitto trail grapplers on Battle Born beadlocks. So we made a deal and traded. He lived in VA and I live in FL. We decided we would meet in SC. About half way for both. We exchanged many pics and talk on the phone alot. Sent questions thru text. On top of being an LJR with auto. It was also my favorite Jeep color ever. Impact Orange. We made the trade on 11-20-21 at a truck stop off I95 in SC. Here is a few pics how it looked when I bought it and JK I trade for it.

gladsc.jpg

JK.jpg

LJR.jpg

1stdayhome.jpg

I immediately started planning my build. I knew I had to get rid of the 3" body lift, Trans skid drop and Smittybilt crap. A friend of mine told me that Motobilt was having a 40% off sale on the next Monday. I got on there site Monday morning and ordered front bumper, winch mount, Rock Rails with step, Tailgate accessory base mount and HiLine fenders and inners. I also ordered M.O.R.E. 1" motor mount lift and a 1" Daystar body lift to get rid of the 3". I knew I would do a tummy tuck so I went with a 1" BL. I divided my build into 4 stages of things that needed to be done together.

Last edited:
Stage 1. Install the previously mentioned parts and a Transfer case cable given to me by PO. I ended up not installing the MML because I opted for the Derale Direct fit TJ electric fan kit. A lot of bolts broke so sourcing new bolts and repairing the holes made this stage very time consuming. We took our time to clean threads and anti-seize new bolts. Didn't want to do this again. Here are some pics

1stdone.jpg

1stHL.jpg

alltornapart.jpg

BLgone.jpg

cuthood.jpg

cuttinghood.jpg

FRRR.jpg

HLF.jpg

Last edited:
We are just wrapping up Stage 1. I will post more pics when completed. Just have some final details to finish. Finalize where under hood items get situated, Install Warn VR12s, Finish wiring for electric fan, wire front turn signals and reinstall battery.

I ordered all the parts for Stage 2. A lot of parts unavailable at this time. I found a thread on installing a Factory eLocker in the rear Sterling. Supposed to be a very strong locker and a lot less money than a OX or an ARB. Everything came in a lot faster than I anticipated. So they are sitting in my garage until probably March. I ordered 5.38 gears, Master install kits, Lube Lockers, Detroit locker for front, Yukon Hardcore locking hubs to replace factory locking hubs and Solid covers. Axles are out of a 1994 F350 so it is 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

factoryelocker.jpg

gearsallready.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
That’s really cool. Awesome trade. Love an LJ on tons (for some reason 🙄).

Looking forward to following your build.

Jeff

Reactions: Wildman
Finished underhood accessories from installing high line fenders. Got the winch mounted. Bolts from bumper broke so that took much longer than anticipated. Got the Derale TJ fan kit installed but still need to wire. Moving along but next 2 weeks we have so much going on that the rest has to wait until after.

fendermount.jpg

frontdone.jpg

deralefan.jpg

Reactions: kiwi
When I ordered parts for Stage 2, No-one had the Eaton eLocker. I have the factory eLocker for the rear and would prefer both lockers to be selectable. I talked to ECGS and they said they should have a shipment from Eaton any day. I probably have a month before we can get this upgrade started, So I am returning the Detroit and upgrading to the Eaton. I've had selectables in every Jeep I have owned and think I will like it better.

elocker.jpg