Improving the cooling on our TJs

Main reason why I use the drain plug is that I live in HOA area, and our HOA is like bunch of very angry Karens, so using the hose and flush until clean is not an option.
Cannot spill anything more than little bit.
The street drain goes into our lake, so nothing can be flushed there

I hope no one would run that out into the street and storm drain. I'm a redneck hunter and don't buy off on man made warming business, but as someone who loves to be in the woods or wading through mud waiting on ducks.....man made pollution is real, and not cool. I flushed 6 or 7 times this summer and every ounce that came out went in a bin that went back into the jugs and dropped off at Travis County hazardous material dump.

Is antifreeze biodegradable?

Loaded question. Yes, eventually. You still don't dispose of it by running it down the drain. Some will poison animals some will not, Ethelyne poison Proplyene not...I think I read, but neither should be consumed. Now...if you're feeding it where cotton mouths or copper heads live....ok I'm cool, pour it out, ha.

Loaded question. Yes, eventually. You still don't dispose of it by running it down the drain. Some will poison animals some will not, Ethelyne poison Proplyene not...I think I read, but neither should be consumed. Now...if you're feeding it where cotton mouths or copper heads live....ok I'm cool, pour it out, ha.

So, with the drain plug, I did the following:
Drain all antifreeze, recycled with my friends garage, where he has large antifreeze tank that gets picked up once in a while, he gets some penny or two for every gallon of old antifreeze.

Reactions: cpwolf
So, I continued working on my cooling system improvements.
Right now I have Mopar radiator waiting to be installed, Hayden 2791 fan clutch and 6 blade Derale 17918 fan to be installed.
1690593608287.png

1690593655855.png

As for the transmission cooler:
I found that set point for activation of Derale transmission cooler is too high.
I am going to replace the the thermal switch that activates the fan at 180F to a switch that activates at 140F

1690593839065.png

I dunno, I've been running that same Derale cooler for 15-16 years on both of my TJs and felt its 180 degree fan thermostat switch was just right even in hot desert rock crawling conditions.

I will say up front that I did not read the 17 pages of this thread.

I live in Phoenix where it’s been over 115 degrees for a month now and my TJ with a parts store Murray radiator, aftermarket Gates water pump, and factory clutch and fan runs just fine with the AC on in rush hour traffic. If anyone has questions on how to replicate my results feel free to contact me.

I dunno, I've been running that same Derale cooler for 15-16 years on both of my TJs and felt its 180 degree fan thermostat switch was just right even in hot desert rock crawling conditions.

My problem is with heat at Idle. TJ is already fully heated up, and then I do have to idle with AC for some lengthy period of time, mainly when taking the kid to some activities, where I am waiting in my TJ, and then I see transmission being at 190F, and the transmission cooler not even kicking in. The reason why it does not kick in, is because the the fluid goes through the integrated cooler in the radiator, which drops it temperature to under 180F, and this prevents the cooler fan from being activated.
When wheeling, last time it stayed under under 187F, which is also mainly has to do with the fan that the fan would kick in only for short period of times.
Maybe it is because I plugged the derale cooler on the return line from radiator, not on the line that goes into the radiator.

I will say up front that I did not read the 17 pages of this thread.

I live in Phoenix where it’s been over 115 degrees for a month now and my TJ with a parts store Murray radiator, aftermarket Gates water pump, and factory clutch and fan runs just fine with the AC on in rush hour traffic. If anyone has questions on how to replicate my results feel free to contact me.

It always runs fine for me as long as I am driving, even in heavy traffic jam. The idle when engine temp goes into above 220F area and transition into 190F is where my problem is.

At this situation the EFan on Derale cooler was not kicking in. Coolant at 231F, transmission at 188F. This was after 40 minutes of idle, with AC.
The radiator would drop the ATF+4 to lower than 180F, and the cooler does not activate the fan this way.

FBB46545-BAB6-4B50-A488-37AF5EE19222.jpeg

D8D8A06B-4158-4999-A323-B4AA994B10CB.jpeg

Maybe it is because I plugged the derale cooler on the return line from radiator, not on the line that goes into the radiator.
The Derale and all transmission coolers are supposed to be connected to the return line from the radiator. This is from B&M but Derale says the same thing.

How-a-Transmission-Cooler-Works-Diagram.jpg

The Derale and all transmission coolers are supposed to be connected to the return line from the radiator. This is from B&M but Derale says the same thing.

View attachment 445202

Yes, I am aware. This is why I have connected it that way. I read through your thread on how to install Derale cooler, and pretty much followed the instructions.
When I wheel, the flow of fluid is high enough so that hot fluid (above 180F) reaches Derale and triggers the fan.
When I idle, the radiator is doing good enough job to keep the fluid in return line under 180F.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So, I continued working on my cooling system improvements.
Right now I have Mopar radiator waiting to be installed, Hayden 2791 fan clutch and 6 blade Derale 17918 fan to be installed.
View attachment 445186

View attachment 445187

That fan clutch with a stock fan will cause the belt to slip and squeak around 3000 rpm when fully locked … it’s an aggressive fan clutch. I wouldn’t change the fan tho, the odd spacing of the stock fan allows the fan to run quieter. Odd, I know. But I’d leave the stock fan. Mopar radiator will be fine …

I drank the koolaide and bee buying the high flow thermostat housings.

with the way I see things on my TJ, is that when I am on highway, with my garbage Autozone radiator, Hayden 2771 and Mopar thermostat and Water pump, this thing never crossed 210F.
I get to 3000RPM very rarely, only when I disable Overdrive and accelerate to merge to highway in direct gear. It is loud as F anyway, and little bit of additional noise would not hurt. The bigger problem could be that water pump would slip the RPM.
I will keep my stock fan as a replacement in case that 2791 and 6 blade fan don’t play together nicely.

Reactions: Brianj5600
I have the Derale 6 blade fan on a Hayden 2771 right now. It’s significantly louder that the OEM fan on the same 2771. I don’t think it has slipped any though.

Is it cooling far better than stock fan?

I don’t think so, however I didn’t have engine cooling problems. I installed it to see if it would help make the A/C a little cooler when idling or slow driving. I don’t really think it’s doing anything noticeable there either. Maybe a couple degrees on the little dial thermometer I have in the A/C vent.

I can feel a bigger drag on the engine than I feel cooler air. 🤣

That fan clutch with a stock fan will cause the belt to slip and squeak around 3000 rpm when fully locked … it’s an aggressive fan clutch. I wouldn’t change the fan tho, the odd spacing of the stock fan allows the fan to run quieter. Odd, I know. But I’d leave the stock fan. Mopar radiator will be fine …

I drank the koolaide and bee buying the high flow thermostat housings.

with the way I see things on my TJ, is that when I am on highway, with my garbage Autozone radiator, Hayden 2771 and Mopar thermostat and Water pump, this thing never crossed 210F.
I get to 3000RPM very rarely, only when I disable Overdrive and accelerate to merge to highway in direct gear. It is loud as F anyway, and little bit of additional noise would not hurt. The bigger problem could be that water pump would slip the RPM.
I will keep my stock fan as a replacement in case that 2791 and 6 blade fan don’t play together nicely.

Fwiw, I ran the 2791 for a year and never had any belt squeal.

I put the stock Mopar clutch back on tonight to use it while I'm thermocure flushing. Have no idea which I'm gonna end up with. The Mopar is the only one that doesn't annoy me but that may just be that it's work out.

Reactions: TexasTJ2004