In Dash Radio Speaker

Mariposa Mike

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone sourced original equipment radio speakers for a 2004 LJ? I have a driver side in dash speaker cracking badly and obviously needs replacement but is an odd shape. Not your standard oval. I have the 5 CD player unit if that matters.

eBay - if you really want one. That's where I sold mine off when I replaced them with much better aftermarket speakers. Plenty of threads here on the forum about what and how.

It's a standard 4x6" oval speaker. It needs to have a high Sensitivity rating of 90 dB or higher to match the other side as closely as possible.

I believe in 2002 they changed from a 4x6 oval speaker to a separate 4” mid and tweeter mounted in a small pod. Is that what you’re looking for?

I believe in 2002 they changed from a 4x6 oval speaker to a separate 4” mid and tweeter mounted in a small pod. Is that what you’re looking for?
They changed from a non-standard 4x6 size to a standard 4x6. The first 4x6 speakers had an odd bolt pattern size nothing could directly replace.

They changed from a non-standard 4x6 size to a standard 4x6. The first 4x6 speakers had an odd bolt pattern size nothing could directly replace.
This is a “standard 4x6”?

ED8E63BB-7702-4C32-B4FC-657908D992F6.jpeg

Reactions: jkosten
Has anyone sourced original equipment radio speakers for a 2004 LJ? I have a driver side in dash speaker cracking badly and obviously needs replacement but is an odd shape.

I wouldn't bother trying to source a single OEM speaker. I'd just get an aftermarket set.

This is a “standard 4x6”?

View attachment 279222
Those are the front speakers from the "7 speaker" optional sound system. These are speakers that Crutchfield list as direct replacements:
g108R6432CM-F.jpg

Last edited:
I did not remove my speaker to see what it looks like. Just happened to see it when I was removing an aftermarket wire for very annoying after market door locks. Thought it was a more narrow speaker than the ones shown. I will need to get in there and remove it to match it. Thanks for the leads. The driver rear speaker overhead might be bad as well but looks normal. Sorting stuff out on this new to me Jeep has been interesting. Different than what I am used to working on my RAM trucks although my 2004 Dodge RAM had a door speaker go bad and that one is unique. Translates to costs buncha to replace.

Jerry, I believe it depends on the radio option. Those are the same exact speakers that came in my LJ from the factory.
Exactly. The base speaker system includes 4 speakers, its fronts are 4x6 like came in my '04 TJ. The upgraded system has 7 speakers and its front speakers are what is shown in post #6 above.

Reactions: jkosten
Just pulled the radio grill off and found that I have the upgrade speaker. So then started looking/listening to the radio, which I just yesterday programmed, and found the offending speaker is in the center console. So I guess that is speaker five and the tweeters are 6 and 7. I'm going to disconnect the console speaker and hope that doesn't affect the radio. And for anyone watching this thread, is there a way to disconnect that dang offending warning beeper that tells you the key is in the ignition or the lights are still on? That thing is waaaay too loud. I could not see where it's located except on the drivers side dash.

Well now I hate to keep asking questions but I'm stumped at the moment on getting to the sub. I have the console loose and tilted up. Figured that out. But having trouble defeating the MOPAR wire connector to lift out the console. But....I don't see a way to get to the sub with the console compartment in the way except to maybe get by the four fasteners in the top of the console compartment. They look like rivets. Not a threaded item. And it looks like you have to remove them to remove the console surround which would get you to the sub. Am I approaching this correctly. And I will look for the fuse.

You don't have to remove the four top plastic like rivets, you do have to remove the two Philips screws up there. I think you have to unscrew it from the side, maybe four screws by the speaker? You might also have to pop off those two metal things at the front, I forget. The connectors aren't fun, just work it.

I removed the speaker and inside console screws but it still seems tight. Maybe when I defeat the plug and get the console out I can pry it loose. The plug might be the harder part. Really tight fit and no slack to get to it. may have to crawl inside the Jeep to do it. Which for me means removing the rear seat as well. I don't bend as well as I used to. Found a penny too! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today.