In need of overlanding...

I think I should have been born 200 years ago. Forget stuff like off road parks....what I REALLY want to do is just pull off the road into a field and drive 5 miles cross country style, cross through a stream, get to the top of a beautiful overlook and pitch a tent.

I don't care so much about trails and rocks and such in a designed off road park... I care about exploration! I just want all the 4x4 stuff so I can drive somewhere cool.

Where can I do something like that??
In the 1960s, on safari in Ethiopia, we would drive a few miles off the beaten path, and often it was a beaten path type road, stop and set up camp and, within 20 minutes, curious villagers would magically appear.
I concluded then, that there is nowhere you can drive and really get away.

I hear there are fire and logging roads all over the place that are an interesting drive. Also, you can go a mile from the touristy parts of Yosemite and be in quiet wilderness, alone with a few hikers.

Remember the race car driver, or was he a golfer, who, when he was lost, saved his life by driving on Government land, and was arrested for daring to harm the dirt? Be careful where you drive.

Reactions: Xposure
Y'all hear about the guy whos plane crashed and he ate a condor to survive and got prosecuted?

Judge let him off for extinuating circumstances...then asked what it tasted like .

He said , like a cross between a spotted owl and a bald eagle.

Where can I do something like that??
Fire roads and beaches. Actual overland is frowned on since you are actually cutting a new trail. The enviro guys get all in a tizzy and soon.... the local or state or federal government passes law banning travel off the beaten track.

That and if the ground is dry, your cats can easily start a fire. But once you are near a beach... the options are limitless. Otherwise look for a logging clear cut..

2008_08_06 nakusp 0018.jpg

Reactions: Shatto and Xposure
If you are only stopping for the night you can often stop anywhere. But if you want to stay a few days, expect some confrontations... unless you own the land.

I was following a "Boon Docking" Facebook page for a while but turns out they are the exact crowd who piss off everyone. Looking for land to squat on and feading each other with arguements and indignation when the locals give them the heave ho.

No matter where you go, support the local economy. Buy food, groceries, beer where you camp. Be an ambassador for the TJ community. Tread LIGHTLY !! Pack out MORE than you pack in. Stop in at the Chamber, Visitors Center, tell them what a wonderful place they live in. They might even tell you about the closely guarded secret places they love.

Reactions: Xposure and EJD