In praise of basically stock TJ's

Didn't Jeep drag one through and that became part of the Trail Rated moniker? From what I gather, the Rubicon Trail can be as difficult as you want it to be, within some limits.
That's my understanding as well.

Hey, people have been doing the Rubicon in MB's and CJ2A's for decades.

Reactions: jjvw
Didn't Jeep drag one through and that became part of the Trail Rated moniker? From what I gather, the Rubicon Trail can be as difficult as you want it to be, within some limits.

I think the rubicon title means it can run that trail. Maybe Jeep takes an easier route when testing.

Highly doubt a stock open diff jeep could run it.

...And what are those limitations?

Stock, mine came with 205/75R15 street tires. Basically useful for delivering the TJ from the factory to the dealership.

The stock springs caused my butt to drag over any and all obstacles past a gravel road. Especially once the rated GVW was approached.

No way to communicate, so loaded log trucks constantly tried chip shots off the side of the mountain.

The stock sway bar and end links tried very hard to keep the front axle as flat as reasonably possible under all conditions. The TJ liked to lift a tire and wave.

The stock skid plate makes an effective anchor in deep enough snow, sand and mud. And rocks of moderate size.

It takes less than one would think to perform ad hoc bodywork on the lower body between the wheel wells.

The stock rear license plate holder was custom designed by the Jeep engineers for easy removal by stout brush in the back, and for quickly destroying the front license plate.

The headlights are custom crafted to give the appearance of illumination, without actually providing sufficient illumination to navigate to the mailbox down a gravel road at dusk.

SE manual drivers get the added bonus of a light duty truck transmission that may or may not be as strong as the transmission in your average economy car, with the added bonus that even in perfect working order it shifts like a 1958 International truck.

A stock TJ has lots of opportunities for improvement. It's still way more capable than most give it credit for. Especially if you accept a little carnage during the learning process.

With that said, most guys are just jealous they do not have original OEM stock TJs to brag about. No more!

Reactions: StG58
I think the rubicon title means it can run that trail.

I disagree. Vehicles are named after all kinds of things that have nothing to do with performance or reality.
However, it does make sense to name the most capable jeep after the most iconic (hard) trail.

That is my recollection from 2003/2004 for the Rubicon package. Jeep took the Rubicon model through the Rubicon Trail and that is where the name came from.

Right, and @Brinta asked about the Rubicon trail. While stock is great I think you do have to realize it has its limitations and the Rubicon trail is probably what most consider outside the boundaries of where you should take a stock Jeep, unless you work for Jeeps marketing department.
Most wouldn't be paying attention. I've been on several Jeep Jamborees on that trail. Many stock rigs run it with few issues. The guides ran stock TJ's with a Detroit rear locker, that's it. JJ runs from about July thru September with an event per week or so consisting of fetching up a group of folks from dealerships, tossing them in stock Wranglers, running them into Rubicon Springs, feed them, put them in tents with all supplies covered. All they need to bring is a small bag of clothes and whatever possibles they require.

When I worked the media event up there for 2 weeks, they flew in 4 groups of media for 2 day presentations and a drive out from the Springs to a ski resort near Tahoe. They flew us to the Truckee airport, bussed us to the resort, we drove all 16 rigs back to the Springs and prepped them for the next batch. All bone stock Rubis and they were kind enough to let us air down to 27 psi.

Marketing? For sure, but they put their money where their mouth is.

Reactions: glowell222
That is my recollection from 2003/2004 for the Rubicon package. Jeep took the Rubicon model through the Rubicon Trail and that is where the name came from.
Jeep Jamboree has been running stock Wranglers through the Rubicon trail since they have been in business. The guides didn't have Rubicons the first time we ran a Jamboree. Just plain ole TJ's with a Detroit in the rear axle.

Reactions: zebra12
I noticed Jeep Jamboree raised their maximum tire size from 37" to 40" (on the Rubicon). I guess they were losing too many potential customers.
Really? There were plenty of rigs running it on 33s and even one guy in an LC80 series on 32's when I was there last week. The LC guys was struggling but was moving along. One guy in our group had 37s (the rest of us on 35s) and had no issues. One guy came by us on (I think) 40s, not nearly as much challenge with that much clearance.

Really? There were plenty of rigs running it on 33s and even one guy in an LC80 series on 32's when I was there last week. The LC guys was struggling but was moving along. One guy in our group had 37s (the rest of us on 35s) and had no issues. One guy came by us on (I think) 40s, not nearly as much challenge with that much clearance.
What's your point? They raised the maximum, not the minimum. So there must be more people on 40s than there used to be.

I've been "wheelin" for over 55 years; first as a child riding with my dad and then in my own vehicles starting with my first vehicle: a '66 dodge Powerwagon. Over the years I've had just about every type of 4x4 there is, and my favorite is the little mostly stock TJ that I have now. Even with the years of experience, I am still surprised at what the "lizard" will do. Of course that's not to say it won't get modified;)

I have to admit i'm kind of thinking I would like a 2" lift, lol...but my basically stock TJ does hold its own on a lot of trails. I am looking forward to experiencing the Rubicon Trail with it possibly this year or next year.

I just had a hell of a backcountry Jeep experience with mine last week and posted it in another thread here. Feel free to check it out https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/love-going-down-a-new-forest-service-road.14242/page-2

IMG_2677.jpg

Reactions: Sancho and matkal
I have to admit i'm kind of thinking I would like a 2" lift, lol...but my basically stock TJ does hold its own on a lot of trails. I am looking forward to experiencing the Rubicon Trail with it possibly this year or next year.

I was thinking about doing the Rubicon next year. I'm only on 33s (3" lift) with stock drivetrain & control arms. Don't really want to go to 35s (yet). Might do a tummy tuck.

Reactions: matkal