In Praise of Penetrol

I used penetrol on my hardtop with a roller applying some really thick coats, it never quite drys and mixes with the coating on the roof becoming slightly flexible, it brought the shiny jet black colour back.
After 3 years and a particularly Icey spring followed by a really warm summer it started to flake and strip off. It took a lot of effort to sand off so I decided not to reapply it again. I think much thinner coats being applied regularly is a better way to go with this stuff. But I’m a lot happier with raptor coating.

Merry Christmas Eve, Mate :)

1545690841680.png

It's always good to hear from the other side of the pond.

I was in London, Portsmouth, and South-End-On-Sea on multiple occasions at one stage, and enjoyed every moment of it.

Yes, an overly-heavy application of the Penetrol seems to defeat the purpose. Rather, sponging and rubbing it in with a little elbow grease, in maybe two light coats, works very well.

Of course, Raptor Liner is a far superior approach. In my case however, with having so little free time, I'm typically looking for the time-saver approach to most things.

May the holidays, including the New Year, present you with plenty of opportunity to wheel:)

1545691338850.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Reign Mack
Yep, this is the stuff:

View attachment 68564

This is all you need, no extra additive.

It appears that sponging it on, and rubbing it in, in circular motion thereafter, with a rag, yields the best results.

"ACE is the place with the helpful hardware man."
OK so it has been over a year...how did it hold up for you? I was looking at this as well, but wanted to hear from someone who had done it awhile ago to see how long it held its look and how often you have to reapply? Curious to hear! Thanks!