In search of a fold-down tailgate table for a TJ

I have been hunting this one down for a long time. Glad that I finally got it and installed it. Have to take it for a test drive this evening :)

IMG_1327.jpg

Got rid of it a long time ago. 2 brake lights is enough for me :ROFLMAO:
I see. I think I will remove the plastic covering and bend the bracket holding the wires to make room for the table. It came with two spacers I am assuming are to make space between the table and the tailgate for those wires. I can't find any instructions about how to modify it and keep the third brake light.

Planning to order one of the Outback Adventures tables from Rebel Offroad. Can anyone share pics of how the resolved the modification for the third brake light cover please... ??

Mine has been installed for 10 years now and the design has likely changed. I removed the plastic cover and secured the open brake wires with 2" aluminum body tape, which matches the table finish pretty well and greatly reduces the bulk of the covering. Good choice on the Outback, I treasure mine.

Reactions: Byhumba and MikekiM
Yes, here's the one I designed and built. Mine has a Molle panel that hinges when the table is deployed, a slide-out table extension/cutting board, and a cutlery keeper mounted to the tailgate behind the stowed table. This video was taken with the table installed on a TJ tailgate in my workshop, I haven't installed it on a Jeep yet.

I volunteer to do a long term test on this!

I did something similar.

View attachment 419601

Looks good! A little over 3 years later mine’s still going strong, I’ve no complaints.

Might either of you be able/willing to grab a few images of where the left upright is attached over the third brake light contacts? I still have the third brake light and need it to pass NYS inspection. I don’t mind modding the plastic cover or ditching it entirely.

I volunteer to do a long term test on this!

Actually I'm testing a new version right now - using most of the same parts, I designed a version that attaches with vacuum mounts. It is mostly intended to be used outside of the vehicle, in this video I'm deploying it on the side of my LJ, although it could be installed on a tailgate using the vacuum mounts:

The new version uses all of the same parts except for how it mounts. The vacuum cups have pumps on them, you can see me pumping them as I'm installing it.

A few photos of it sucked onto my JKU:

VacuumTableOnJKUb.jpg

VacuumTableOnJKUa.jpg

The swing-down MOLLE panel is still part of the design, but it's been removed for the video and photos above. It's installed in this photo...

VacuumTable2.jpg

A company has expressed interest in the vacuum version, and a different company has expressed interest in the screw mounted tailgate version so I've suggested that the two companies explore the idea of joint manufacturing - since almost all the parts are the same between the vacuum version and the tailgate versions for TJ/LJ/JK/JL and new Bronco, there are good economies of scale if the two companies work together. I don't know if that will happen or if either version will get into production, but the vacuum version will be on display at Overland West next month to gauge interest.

Reactions: RINC and LONGJP2
Might either of you be able/willing to grab a few images of where the left upright is attached over the third brake light contacts? I still have the third brake light and need it to pass NYS inspection. I don’t mind modding the plastic cover or ditching it entirely.

I'm not running a 3rd brake light, so I'm not sure I understand the question.

Does anyone make a "fold UP" version of a table like this?
I'm too damned tall to use a fold DOWN table.

You can actually mount the side brackets flipped side to side and upside down. That would then allow you to mount the table top so it flips up into position. You will have to use prop rods to hold it up in place when extended. I almost mounted mine that way. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal…

I'm not running a 3rd brake light, so I'm not sure I understand the question.

Now that I think it through, my request is misdirected. I haven't had a chance to remove the cover from the contacts on the tailgate and was curious what it looks like with the cover removed. But I do realize neither of you are running the third brake light so there's nothing but a hole there for you.

You'll have to start a new thread. :cautious:

Actually, I think there is one. Or least a few posts about it. I'll dig around a little.

I have this one and still have my 3rd brake light. Happy with the overall quality, but unable to install it as in the instructions on my 98. The lower mounting points end up where you are unable to install a threaded insert.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SHVCSM8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

packed.jpg

Actually I'm testing a new version right now - using most of the same parts, I designed a version that attaches with vacuum mounts. It is mostly intended to be used outside of the vehicle, in this video I'm deploying it on the side of my LJ, although it could be installed on a tailgate using the vacuum mounts:

The new version uses all of the same parts except for how it mounts. The vacuum cups have pumps on them, you can see me pumping them as I'm installing it.

A few photos of it sucked onto my JKU:

View attachment 419644

View attachment 419645

The swing-down MOLLE panel is still part of the design, but it's been removed for the video and photos above. It's installed in this photo...

View attachment 419646

A company has expressed interest in the vacuum version, and a different company has expressed interest in the screw mounted tailgate version so I've suggested that the two companies explore the idea of joint manufacturing - since almost all the parts are the same between the vacuum version and the tailgate versions for TJ/LJ/JK/JL and new Bronco, there are good economies of scale if the two companies work together. I don't know if that will happen or if either version will get into production, but the vacuum version will be on display at Overland West next month to gauge interest.

That's sweet. When you walked out of the frame at the end I was expecting you to come back with a cinder block.

Love the design. No bueno for me though. I don't have any glass to suction it onto. Only available flats are over the rear fenders and on the doors. Doors are out and the flat fenders on my TJ work well enough for table duty on the sides.

Just mounted up the Trasheroo and Rock Slide spare tire RotoPax mount for a trip starting this weekend and thought about your storage bag system.