In search of a fold-down tailgate table for a TJ

I have this one and still have my 3rd brake light. Happy with the overall quality, but unable to install it as in the instructions on my 98. The lower mounting points end up where you are unable to install a threaded insert.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SHVCSM8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 419684

Looks different than the one in the link. Did you make changes to the mounting due to the lack of lower mounting points?

I've seen the one you linked to and that size can work. How did you end up mounting it?

Looks different than the one in the link. Did you make changes to the mounting due to the lack of lower mounting points?

I've seen the one you linked to and that size can work. How did you end up mounting it?

I did the top 2 mounting points first ( behind those rubber bumpers). Had I mounted it slightly higher I may have been able to not have the lower mounting hole end up on the edge of the reinforcement on the inside of the tailgate.

I didnt want any more exploratory holes in the tailgate, so I used existing holes in the mounting brackets, Lowes aluminum channel, and 10-32 inserts in the tailgate.

Start with the lower hole location and the top might end up in a usable spot for an insert.

20230425_185236.jpg

20230425_185302.jpg

I did the top 2 mounting points first ( behind those rubber bumpers). Had I mounted it slightly higher I may have been able to not have the lower mounting hole end up on the edge of the reinforcement on the inside of the tailgate.

I didnt want any more exploratory holes in the tailgate, so I used existing holes in the mounting brackets, Lowes aluminum channel, and 10-32 inserts in the tailgate.

Start with the lower hole location and the top might end up in a usable spot for an insert.

View attachment 419691

View attachment 419692

Ah I see.. The wires were throwing me off. This could be worth a shot. Certainly cost effective.
Any rattles?

Ah I see.. The wires were throwing me off. This could be worth a shot. Certainly cost effective.
Any rattles?

Thats the draw string for the tire cover 😃 It was the cheapest one on Amazon so my expectations were low. The quality aside from install issues was way better than expected.

At the bottom of the mounting brackets I stuck the fuzzy side of some velcro to prevent any possible buzzing where it isnt bolted bolted on.

Reactions: MikekiM
Any rattles?

Actually, it looks the same as the JK version. I seem to remember I could have positioned it differently if I removed or modified the latch cover on the other side. Which I noticed is removed in the link picture.
As far as rattles, you may have to adjust / modify the table latches a little bit.

Reactions: MikekiM
My TJ is my DD and gets used as a basecamp a handful of times a month. All of the mods related to camping (cargo basket, RotoPax, campsite lighting, tarp, storage and.. the tailgate table) are all removable so I am not lugging it all around daily. In addition, I am soft top full time and live in the NE so I have a Bestop InstaTrunk. Having a full time tailgate table would be a pain even if I could find one that would work with the InstaTrunk.

I can get everything out of the shed and installed in about fifteen minutes.

I came across a pair of rubber coated wire storage racks when cleaning my garage. The size is perfect for a small tailgate table. They get attached using two short pieces of Amsteel cordage and cord locks that capture the upper cross member on the rack in two footman loops I have on the tailgate. It won't hold a cinderblock but it holds everything I need it to and then some. Cost was minimal considering it was all done with stuff I had around the shop. Bonus points from the wife for getting the stuff out of the garage.

The table fits on the Bestop Highrock 4x4 Cargo Carrier with the cooler on top and installs to the tailgate in a few seconds.

2023-11-17 Peconic Camp ON 28.jpg