In the market for a new battery

I stuffed a size 31 Duracell AGM under the hood. Supposedly it's a Deka Intimidator in duracell labeling and $50 cheaper.

I put in a Diehard AGM from Advance Auto in my wife's diesel bug. Seems Advance bought the Diehard Brand,Name?
They had a online 20% off and core charge.

Reactions: cpwolf
The Canadian Tire Ultra XD series (it might only be the XD series) is a Northstar battery with a different sticker if I recall correctly.
Note they look exactly the same and have the exact same amperage ratings:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...formance-agm-deep-cycle-battery-0102496p.htmlhttps://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm24m

I have that Canadian Tire Ultra XD battery and it is about 12-13 lbs heavier than the Optima Yellow Top it replaced. It is definitely a beast of a battery

Starting to get the dreaded slow crank, and the date sticker on top of the Walmart battery is 3/18, so I'm in the market. As per usual, I have now read 3,248 posts on TJ batteries here, including the various recs for AGM vs old-style, Oydessy or Northstar vs everyone else, and Group 34 vs Group 24.

Right now, since I'm a Costco member, I'm 95% ready to pull the trigger on an Interstate AGM in Group 24 size. Unless someone wants to post how their TJ burst into flames or suddenly began experiencing death wobble after installing one!

The date sticker on Walmart batteries is something like a manufacture date and not an expiration date. So at 3/18, it’s only 2.5 years old and they used to have a 5 year warranty (I assume they still do), so why not just take it back and get a free replacement. I’ve had them replace 3 and 4 year old batteries in the past. No questions asked.

As for a replacement battery. Any brand name will due, with the exception of a Optima battery.
After running into a major issue with several Optima batteries, I put a Autozone AGM battery in my LJ. It has been fine for the past 2 years.
The majority of the batteries out there are manufactured by Johnson Controls.
The old Diehard AGM batteries were manufactured by Odyssey, I believe.

IMO, NOCO are the biggest POS on the market. I went thru four NOCO's in less than a year. Almost every one of my work colleges that owned one has also had issues.
My NOCO has worked well several times.

Reactions: WesRJ86
Honestly I don’t follow what many say at all. I just buy a refurbished car battery where I live for $65 and it lasts me 5 years. Not one single problem starting in hot weather, cold weather, and not battery failures or loosing charge. Never had a problem when on the trails also. Bring the one in after 5 years, get $10 core for it, and buy another $65 battery for another 5 years
I was not going to comment but since you brought it up. I have used refurbished battery's for maybe 15 to 20 years. Of the many that I have purchased the shortest like I experienced was 5 years old. I still have 4 that are 8 to 10 years old. When not being driven they are on Harbor Fright battery tenders. I myself have a hard time believing this could be true. I have told many car friends about them and no one believes it. I told some that if they get one and it doesn't last 5 years I will pay for it. They only cost $35.00. New battery's in Arizona only last 2 years and if lucky 3.

Reactions: Kaden02Tj
I have a noco that I've used a couple of times and it works great. I like that it has an override feature for the smart electronics. I've been fouled by those before. We took it on our last dirtbike trip cause my brothers battery was dead and we used it every time he stalled. Held up to the heat and vibrations no problem.

I bought my 03 TJ in April and have put about 8k miles on it already. It came with this tiny looking everstart vp-26. It starts the Jeep fine but I also added a winch and some different offroad lights to it so I was thinking I should probably put in something bigger.
IMG_0940.jpg

I just bought a cheap battery this month from Walmart for $58 bucks, I also carry a portable battery charger/ jump starter (21800 mAh whatever that means) in my 2004 Jeep. I figure that is good enough.

In the last year or so I have bought 4 batteries from PepBoys. This past week it was an AGM with 48 month warranty for my truck. The others I installed myself but because it takes some extra work to get it in the truck and install was only $12 I paid online for the battery and install. I went in for my appointment and had it installed. On the way home I found an empty parking lot and popped the hood to find the cheaper, non AGM battery with 36 month warranty. Needless to say I had to turn around and go back for the battery I actually paid for.