In-TJ Navigation

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
My blushing bride of almost four decades got herself a new iPhone and iTablet (whatever they are called, I don't do Apple products) This was an unannounced acquisition. To keep my head from popping when she hauled her new booty home, she worked a deal for a new, essentially free, Samsung Tab E for me. Whoo-hoo! Anyway, that's the back story for anyone who cares.

I've wanted an 8" or so Tablet for awhile to play with two things: 1) Off Road Computer Assisted Navigation (ORCAN) 2) OBDII access to all of the data going into and out of the computers and sensors in my vehicles.

The first thing I did was to acquire an 128 Gig SD Microchip for the tablet. Maps take up a lot of space to cover any amount of area in any detail. I need to cover large portions of two states in detail, and smaller portions of two more states in detail. (Sorry British Columbia. I know I'm heading up that way in the TJ or JKU, but not looking at maps there yet. In a few weeks maybe) So now there's Enough Storage available for my uses on the tablet.

The second thing I did was look into tablet mapping applications. After rooting around in the App store and online, I came up with two apps that seemed to fit the bill for storing and displaying maps appropriate to ORCAN. These are Gaia Maps and Backcountry Navigator. Gaia Maps has a slightly better interface and access to slightly more configurable / customizable (is that even a word?) maps that show the things that I need in a form that is usable. Gaia Maps is also based on "software as a subscription". I refuse to follow that paradigm, it just irks me. Enough that Gaia Maps was eliminated from contention. If that doesn't bother you, check them out. The final contender is Backcountry Navigator (BCN), which is the one I installed and am playing with.

So now I have an appropriate Tablet, enough memory / storage and a reasonably suitable application. BCN has a fairly large group of maps available, ranging from Open Streetmaps to USGS National Mapping and various CalMaps. Open Streetmaps focuses on urban and suburban areas mostly, and may not be suitable for ORCAN. CalMaps is pretty good, but again, it is subscription based and I haven't figured out how to get the very nice custom maps that you can create out of CalMaps and into BCN in an easy, straight forward way. You're supposed to be able to do that, but I haven't got there just yet. After several attempts and failures, I set that aside for now. That leaves us with the USGS National Mapping data set. I have played with that for a bit and it looks like it will suite my needs for the moment. BCN has several configurations of that map set built in and easily select-able. I chose to work with the USGSTopo map set, that allows zooming to the 1:24K level and shows things like road names and United States Forest Service (USFS) road number to the spur level and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) roads and road numbers. These maps can be zoomed to the 1 mile level (level 15 in BCN) on an 8" screen and still be very usable. There's a way to have a clean map at a higher zoom level in BCN, but I haven't played with it yet. You can zoom to a half a mile on the screen (zoom level 16 / 17 in BCN, max zoom is level 18), but after that lines and features start to get very fuzzy. In addition to that, I have Garmin 62 and 64 GPS's for working at that scale with add-on map packs. Those are typically scales that work for walking, but don't work so well for ORCAN.

Next up is to see if the GPS chipset in the Tablet is up to the task of actual navigation in an ORCAN environment. If not, there is an add-on GPS sensor available that is. It plugs into the charging / micro USB port on the tablet and provides high accuracy signal reception from the GPS satellite array. The newer version may or may not also receive signals from the Russian GLONAS constellation, which would be a bonus. The combination of GLONAS and GPS is very accurate and highly available.

That's what I have so far. Screen shots and more description later as I use this out in the woods. So far, I've only walked around the block a couple of times with this setup. It's not getting installed in the TJ until the hard case gets here. Tablets usually aren't splash protected or dust proof. That's a must for my uses here in the PNW.

Sounds like you've got the navigation thing figured out. One day soon, something like this is on my list as well. Especially as the kids get older and we venture out more.

Reactions: StG58
Sounds like you've got the navigation thing figured out. One day soon, something like this is on my list as well. Especially as the kids get older and we venture out more.
The proof is in the pudding, as it were. We'll see @Chris.

The screens on a handheld GPS aren't big enough for ORCAN, you just can't see far enough ahead to make a sound judgement on the path to take, or enough of your surroundings to really get a feeling for where you are reliably. I'm really hoping that going from a 3" screen on a handheld to an 8" screen on a tablet is going to give me that intermediate perspective between a paper map and a hand held GPS. When you're tooling down an FSR / trail at 15-20 MPH, you need to be able to look ahead and make sound choices.

The USGS National Map looks like a good source for base maps at the moment, but I really want to incorporate some of the BLM and USFS mapping as well. Things like land ownership and land use are interesting and useful, as well as the vegetation maps. The USFS data is absolutely wonderful stuff, but covers a very limited area. Same with BLM. The Bureau of Mines has a lot of interesting things listed in their data like water sources and mining claims or abandoned mines. CalMaps would be good for all of that, but I need to figure out how to get the custom generated maps into BCN for offline use. So far, no joy. So much useful information, so little compatibility. It almost makes me want to get back into coding Java, ...almost.

I haven't even looked into the State level data yet. Or the USGS geology maps sets. Or State / USGS historical data. At one time the State of Oregon did a really good job of keeping track of historical sites and archeology sites. All of that was taken off-line though because some idiots were using it for treasure hunting.

It used to be my profession, but now it's just a sometimes hobby. Maybe others will find this useful as well.

Reactions: MikeM and Chris
Cool, I have a galaxy Tab4 with a 10 inch screen that can be used for the same thing. I will follow intently.
Check out Backcountry Navigator (demo for free and about $16 for the "real" version) and Gaia Maps (subscription about $12) in the app store. If you have a compatible MicroSD card installed it's worth playing with. 32 or 64 Gig would be large enough to start, if you aren't going multi-state. Upgrading to a larger or faster card can wait until you start using it "for real". Does your Galaxy Tab 4 have the GPS chipset in it? If not, I'd be happy to turn you on to the link to the external Garmin antenna / chipset.

Reactions: Mike_H
Yes, it has an internal GPS. I've used something called GPX Viewer, which is free, to download GPX tracks from my State's website. They post tracks of the snowmobile/atv trails on it. It uses the GPS coordinates to overlay google maps, I believe. I'll check out the Backcountry Nav app. I'm just scratching the surface on digital based exploring...I still trust my paper maps more, but the more you know and all that.

Yes, it has an internal GPS. I've used something called GPX Viewer, which is free, to download GPX tracks from my State's website. They post tracks of the snowmobile/atv trails on it. It uses the GPS coordinates to overlay google maps, I believe. I'll check out the Backcountry Nav app. I'm just scratching the surface on digital based exploring...I still trust my paper maps more, but the more you know and all that.
I know what you mean on trusting the paper maps. I run with paper maps and a compass, always, and with my Garmin 62GPS right now, This system is just for the usual run-of-the-mill navigation tasks as you are blowing down the road. If it fails, I've still got paper and my handheld.

It's funny, but digital and paper pretty much come from the same root sources. Nobody, not even the Federal Government any more, can afford to create a map from scratch these days. The people and technology involved are just too expensive and it takes way too much time. 90% of the mapping content out there is ultimately based off of two guys on horses with a theodolite and a compass making sketches and taking notes...back in the '20's and '30's. The other 10% is tacked onto the top of existing cartography. Even satellite technology isn't helping much because all those nice photographs and radar / lidar data sets need to be interpreted and put into a form that you and I can use.

Ran the new nav system on the road trip to visit the daughter this weekend up in Tacoma. There's a few glitches that are probably just my setup, but so far, so good.

Loaded up the tablet with Backcountry Navigator Pro, enough USGS 7 1/2 minute quads to cover all possible travel routes up and back, turned on tracking and away we went. Learned a couple of things that may be interesting. The first is that BCN will generate a track even if the tablet is turned off (not shut down) so if you are on a trail you know, you don't have to have the screen lit up and running. You still get your track. My tablet also burns through battery when it's got the GPS running and BCN running. I didn't run it flat, but it appears that you are only going to get about 5 or 6 hours out of a charge. I plugged it in to the Jeep electrical system and all was well. I had the map display set to show the TJ moving on the map and BCN wouldn't jump to the next set of map tiles as you moved off the displayed map. That was irritating, but not a big deal. There's a button that pops your location into the middle of the screen. Next up is figuring out how to make your position stay in the middle of the screen and the map move. That would be more useful.

As far as accuracy...it's as accurate as it needs to be. No need at the moment to look at the Garmin "hockey puck" GPS receivers. That's a good thing.

The statistics fly out is interesting. It shows current position in Lat-Lon, speed, elevation, time, and min / max for each. If you're into playing with numbers, they are there.

The USGS quads are actually pretty nice. There's lots of information on there, and they are also as accurate as they need to be. There's a few other bits of information that would be nice that the Quads don't show, but there may be a way to add that. Just haven't worked it out yet.

Traveling at highway speeds, zooming out to show about a five mile radius around your position seemed to work well. Traveling at off road speeds, zooming in to show about a one mile radius around your position worked well. It was nice to be able to rotate the map view from horizontal to vertical just by rotating the tablet.

So far, BCN has been worth the trivial amount of money invested.

I just installed the double-din dash mod to accommodate an Android-based stereo. One of the reasons for that was for onboard navigation, both for on and off road. I've only started looking into apps but Back Country Navigator seems to be a popular choice for off road. I've installed it but haven't had time to play with it. My biggest restriction is that it has to work in offline mode. Your experience is very helpful. I'm curious how useable it will be on a 7" screen.

I have a new Galaxy A tablet and I have now installed two good programs - GPX viewer "PRO" just released that so far is working great. and believe it or not -Tom Tom which will read GPX tracks with the entire United States map downloaded and installed (included in a minor annual fee). The GPX viewer pro will record on provided maps but I have not used it out of state yet, It does follow your route once you down load the GPX file and open it in the Pro version!. The Tom Tom with the whole country works stand alone from the internet or phone and it also will let you by logging in to your account (no charge) add any GPX route into your tablet or phone. This I have tested in Oregon Idaho and Utah all the way to and from Bryce Canyon Utah. The Tom Tom does not record GPX routes though and that is why I added the GPX viewer Pro which does. So far cheap and reliable! Another feature is with a route to a radio tower loaded in the Tomtom and say I am home but the trail is 100 miles away from me when I run the GPX file and tell it to go it routes me from my current location (home) to the trail head and them on to the trail end! Take it for what it is worth but it works for me!

Reactions: Chris and StG58
I'm running this on an 8" tablet, and it beats the heck out of a 3" GPS screen. For planning purposes, a map book or a paper map works much better. For navigation on FS roads and skid trails the Quads downloaded are working out nicely.

I think that I've got somewhere north of 40 gig downloaded so far. That covers most of the areas that I 4x in, in NW Oregon and SW Washington. I've got 128 gig to play with, so I should have room.

Reactions: MikeM and derekmac
Here is the setup finally finished and working. Vector off road rail and two Ram mount X grip units one for the phone and one for the tablet.

vector-bar-ram-mount-tablet.jpg

Oh dare I write it the JK sissy bar and the air bag are an issue if it ever goes off that is why I found the Vector off road site and used theirs! That small line above the bar is where the bag comes out from and it is hard to get away from it with a mount on the bar.

Last edited:
Oh the dare I write it the JK sissy bar and the air bag are an issue if it ever goes off that is why I found the Vector off road site and used theirs! That small line above the bar is where the bag comes out from and it is hard to get away from it with a mount on the bar.
Oh, I get the air bag thing. A tablet to the face could get ugly. I've never deployed an air bag, but the wife has. Two in fact. I could turn the air bag off, and leave it off if I went the chicken bar route.

Monkeyed around with Back Country Navigator some more, and I don't know if it was user error or the recent upgrade, but the app will allow you to set about four different ways to display the map now. North up, direction of travel up, etc. It will also keep your location in the middle of the map if you don't play with scrolling and zooming. I tend to to do both when I'm out and about, especially now that I have a screen that can actually display enough map to make it worthwhile. Simple one touch icon to pop your location back into the middle of the screen. This is going to be fun and useful.

Now to see what sorts of maps I can build and import. The data is there, it's a matter of figuring out how to get the format translated and loaded on the tablet chip.

Going through the same process with GPX Viewer Pro. I can export a GPX file from the viewer after it is saved and import it to my Tom Tom. Really want to go to Capitol forest and do some roads there to see how accurate it is!
That will sure get your tracks and way points into the Tom-Tom. Let us know how the base mapping works out on the Tom-Tom for exploring the backwoods. If the roads and trails are there then it would be a viable alternative.

Reactions: MikeM
I am not 100% sure but what I have done and used so far acts like an over lay so my thoughts are from a trip to Klamath Falls even if a trail is not there you can navigate your vehicle just like a walk in the woods without a trail. We went free style in one wooded area and it got too thick to go on after a few miles. I was able to turn around and find another jeep trail back to the main road and on to my destination! Time and experimenting will tell

Went scouting for Elk with my hunting buddy (wife) yesterday and played with the tablet some more. It was user error. The vehicle now stays centered in the map, and the map rotates for direction of travel. This is pretty cool. We got into a new area, and it helped to have a bit larger format to work with. Downloaded the extra cost land boundry overlay today. It's ugly mapping. It does show reasonably accurate public / private boundaries though. I'm going to call this a preliminary success and play with it some more.

The tablet sucks juice used this way. Adding a USB power port to run it.

If you set the tablet on the dash at night, you get a reverse image heads up display reflecting off the windshield. Actually kind of handy.

Oh, and my backup lights still suck.

Reactions: MikeM