In-TJ Navigation

Ran into first glitch, the GPX viewer pro did fine and created a 89 mile track for me. I saved it and then tried to import it into TomTom and it is a no go? At first I thought it was the fact that I started at a point and then returned to that point (creates a complete loop so I broke the loop and tried again and no go. So STG58 from you post it seems you use back country as your actual navigation device,is that correct/

Reactions: StG58
Ran into first glitch, the GPX viewer pro did fine and created a 89 mile track for me. I saved it and then tried to import it into TomTom and it is a no go? At first I thought it was the fact that I started at a point and then returned to that point (creates a complete loop so I broke the loop and tried again and no go. So STG58 from you post it seems you use back country as your actual navigation device,is that correct/
That's correct. I'm using a Samsung tablet with Back Country Navigator software loaded on it. The map tiles are Forest Service maps based on USGS 7 1/2 minute quads. I also loaded the BLM land use and ownership overlay to keep track of who's land I was on. It's working out so far, but the tablet eats batteries, so I'm installing a 2 amp USB power plug to keep it going for longer than 8 - 9 hours.

One more question on the Back country software as I am still just trying the free package it seems I can not pull GPX existing files from my SD card and I wonder if the paid version allows me to pull from the SD card? I am using their default map and have some files I wanted to see how they looked and worked on the freebie? I can get to the card but it shows no files there? Never mind I found it Pro version as an option!

Last edited:
I've been working on downloading the USGS quads (with FS road names where available) for Oregon and Washington, with the border areas of Idaho and California. Also snagged just a bit of Nevada. It has burned up just over half of a fast 128 gig card so far. That's with the BLM Land Use and Land Ownership overlay as well, so that takes up some significant space. That's about what I expected from previous mapping adventures on the computer. The performance of Back Country Navigator has degraded noticeably, but not enough to effect real world usability. That's a lot of detailed mapping for a tablet computer to sort through when zooming in and out as well as panning from place to place.

Reactions: MikeM
You are working that tablet to death LOL! I am following this thread as I am doing a much simpler GPS project but I am also learning from the posts here. GPX Pro just got back to me and their program will record properly now and soon it will work as my GPS so no more converting and importing to Tom Tom which I like. Then I can compare it to Back Country.

You are working that tablet to death LOL! I am following this thread as I am doing a much simpler GPS project but I am also learning from the posts here. GPX Pro just got back to me and their program will record properly now and soon it will work as my GPS so no more converting and importing to Tom Tom which I like. Then I can compare it to Back Country.
When I started messing about with cartography, I had a custom 486 computer and AutoCAD 10. Talk about working something to death! Some of the import and translation processes would get started after dinner, and I would let them run all night. I'd find out if they crashed or not when I got up and had a cup of coffee in the morning. Sometimes a screen refresh would take 10 minutes or so. Ya, I work my stuff to death...ya gotta get your money's worth out of it, right?

One thing I've noticed. The State of Oregon and USGS has removed data from their maps in the last ten years or so. There's a lot of historical information that used to be included as a matter of course that is missing. I may have to pull one of my old GNIS data bases out and do a little comparing.

Reactions: MikeM
First computer was a Radio Shack COLOR complete with two large floppy drive and oh wait not screen so I took the family TV and hooked that up also had an old Epson dot matrix printer (a hammer driver for the young folks). I would do a two page bid go to the printing menu and after a few choice words on up stairs to make a pot of coffee and drink two cups of coffee. Checked on the printing and nope I had time for another cup. Today's modern units for me are truly fun to mess with and actually they do a good job.

Which Samsung Tab A devices would be a good fit for this? And what mount?

It seems like Gias or however you spell it or backcountry. Are the go to apps. Although none are perfect. I used to be way into gps. Developing trackers and having them built overseas. But today I want to go plug and play as much as possible. I have a Garmin Etrex 20. And the screen size is ridiculous. I also have an old Samsung tablet that I've played with before. But am not up on the current models. Or better yet one from a year or two ago. That would work great for this application. Something in the sub $100 range. And a good mount that is solid. Is an essential. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of a non subscription gps service. So I'll most likely start with backcountry. But if Gias is going to save me alot of software heartache. I'll spend the money. I also have an older Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone I'd like to do this on too. Just as a hiking backup. It takes external batteries. So I can carry enough power with me to keep it running for days.

I'd actually like to find a tablet in say last years or the years before model in the sub $100 range. My old one I bought my father was like $70. A little slow with a few normal apps. But I intend to only use this for navigation. Maybe a movie or too though as well. lol.

And I'd like the mount to either be permanent or something that can be easily taken out and put back in.