Incorrect Carfax

SPECWAR

TJ Enthusiast
I bought my 06 TJ knowing it had a salvage/ rebuilt title, which in at least my mind doesn’t effect me. It’s , straight, clean, and runs better than my last 2 TJ’s and my JK did.
Fast forward until this morning when I had a dealer run a Carfax on it. There have been 2 damage reports to Carfax on it since I’ve owned it. How in the hell can that be, and what’s my recourse should I decide to challenge the reports.
I have never damaged it or reported and damage in the 2 years I’ve owned it.

This is interesting.
Maybe a DMV typo?
Maybe a letter from your insurance (stating no claims) to the DMV?

I bought it from the person that rebuilt it, and the Carfax also showed 2 previous owners had owned it since it’s rebuild. (3 if you include me)????

Carfax is a flawed, 3rd party, database driven system. Garbage in, garbage out. If I had your VIN either on purpose, or by mistake, I could report whatever I wanted.

I don't know of any way to correct wrong information. I don't put much stock in it, I wish others didn't either.

Will it hurt you that much? It already has a salvage title on it. I wouldn't think the other things would matter that much.

It’s not about being hurt, it’s about the inaccuracy of the report. There were at least two reports for it being repaired AFTER I purchased it which are blatant lies.

You can file a claim with CARFAX. I had the issue happen last year just as I was about the sell my car. Car fax responded and assigned someone to investigate within days… 8 months later I still haven’t heard anything back, although I did sell the car and not sure if that played a part.

I have had at least 2 people make me offers for it in the $13-14 thousand dollar range after I told each it has a rebuilt title. Neither person seemed to care about that.
Now, if I were to sell it with just the history information i am aware of, and that person requested a Carfax and saw more on the report than I informed them about, even though it’s incorrect, I would assume they would feel I was being untruthful.
Just pisses me off.

Reactions: derekmac and pagrey
I have had at least 2 people make me offers for it in the $13-14 thousand dollar range after I told each it has a rebuilt title. Neither person seemed to care about that.
Now, if I were to sell it with just the history information i am aware of, and that person requested a Carfax and saw more on the report than I informed them about, even though it’s incorrect, I would assume they would feel I was being untruthful.
Just pisses me off.
I did the same thing you did. Was upfront about the error, at the end I sold it and it didn’t cause me any issues. I think your are fortunate the market is what it is right now otherwise it would probably be a bigger issue.

Reactions: SPECWAR
It’s not about being hurt, it’s about the inaccuracy of the report. There were at least two reports for it being repaired AFTER I purchased it which are blatant lies.
Well what bothers me about this is they can hurt the value - Anytime you have inaccuracy with a big reporting agency you’re going to run into this- People just like you that perhaps are selling a vehicle and the Carfax is in accurate and it hurts the resell value - And you’re gonna have people that purchase vehicles that have damage that is not on the report...In other words they’re going to be wrong both ways in some situations and neither one is good for the consumer that they’re trying to protect.

And of course since they are just about impossible to talk to none of this ever gets fixed... It’s about like dealing with the Better Business Bureau or the major credit reporting agencies.

If companies or nonprofits are going to take it on themselves to monitor these kind of things they need to be accurate and accessible.

This is a little bit of a personal hotspot with me....I can’t stand being affected by something and locked out of a conversation at the same time....These organizations are arrogant and usually are not doing anywhere near the good they think they are.

Reactions: SPECWAR
There aren't any nonprofits that value used cars that I know of. Maybe the media told you there are or the voices in your head?
No, I’m generalizing for the sake of covering all they types of entities I posted about - the BBB is a non profit - This is why I said “companies or non profits”.

I had a car involved in a accident very little damage small scrape on front fender
Carfax reported it as structural damage I had pictures and letter from repair
I sent everything to carfax and had several correspondent emails with them
In the end they would not change anything

What does the BBB have to do with Carfax, do they value jeeps now?
I’m talking about reporting agency behavior in general sir, they all do about the same thing- they report data with no verification at times with little care as to how it may affect any party- and then are aloof and near impossible to reckon with. Is there some reason my post doesn’t indicate that and echo the concern of the OP?

One of the reasons I’m on here less and less lately is this exact type exchange- someone picking apart a post for no reason than to argue, criticize or ridicule.