Incredible WWI documentary coming...

Someone sent this to me, and it ripped at my heart. I'm sure the impact was greater for my having watched the film that this thread was about. The voices in this song are so pure, and the message...well, you be the judge. It's based on true events that happened both in 1914 and 1915. Look it up, if you like. It's an amazing thing to think about. Hope you enjoy this...

Celtic Thunder - 'Christmas 1915'

They Shall Not Grow Old is on HBO On Demand now, I found it in the documentary section.Im only half way through it but I can see why you enjoyed it so much, they did a better job restoring the footage then WW2 in HD, it's amazing.Thanks for mentioning it

Reactions: Squatch
They Shall Not Grow Old is on HBO On Demand now, I found it in the documentary section.Im only half way through it but I can see why you enjoyed it so much, they did a better job restoring the footage then WW2 in HD, it's amazing.Thanks for mentioning it
Really glad you're enjoying it. They truly did do an impressive job with it.

Reactions: OldYeller
I find documentaries to be my favorites.
Have you seen this one ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_1_in_Colour

and this one..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_HD_Colour

A great WWI book is The Cruel Sea
It focuses on one ship, one crew on anti submarine duty in the North Atlantic

It'll make any one grateful for the sacrifices soldiers make

the-cruel-sea-4.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen this one ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_1_in_Colour

and this one..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_HD_Colour

A great WWI book is The Cruel Sea
It focuses on one ship, one crew on anti submarine duty in the North Atlantic

It'll make any one grateful for the sacrifices soldiers make

View attachment 126238
I've not seen either of those yet, though they've been on my radar for a while, now. But I have to say, the book "The Cruel Sea" sounds even more interesting to me. I'm going to have to look that one up. Thanks for the tip, friend!

The ship in that book was a Corvette... I'd never known what a Corvette Ship was, having images of Americas only true sports car in my mind.... the description in the Cruel Sea of what a Corvette Class War Ship is will forever taint your desire to own a Corvette. And make you wonder how GM came up with that name.

The ship in that book was a Corvette... I'd never known what a Corvette Ship was, having images of Americas only true sports car in my mind.... the description in the Cruel Sea of what a Corvette Class War Ship is will forever taint your desire to own a Corvette. And make you wonder how GM came up with that name.
I did know of the Corvette (vessel), and the understanding that GM used the name based on said vessel's speed and maneuverability. You've definitely piqued my curiosity as to what the author has to say about the ships, now. (y)

They Shall Never Grew Old was a project done by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings Director) He lives a bit further up the Island from me. He's one hell of a clever guy. He has been working on a Dam Busters movie for several years not sure what stage its at

I can't wait to see this. Its astonishing how much more impact the colorization of old photos/footage has vs their original black and white (for me at least). It really brings it to life and out of that "back then" timeframe... Makes it much more relatable I guess.

I was in D.C. working about ten years ago and went to the Smithsonian to kill an afternoon and stumbled upon an exhibit where an artist took all these photos and videos from the Great Depression and painstakingly colorized them all. It was amazing... Dunno if it's just me, but seeing it all in color really drove it home. I was at that museum until it closed for the day, absolutely captivating.

Reactions: reddvltj
I can't wait to see this. Its astonishing how much more impact the colorization of old photos/footage has vs their original black and white (for me at least). It really brings it to life and out of that "back then" timeframe... Makes it much more relatable I guess.

I was in D.C. working about ten years ago and went to the Smithsonian to kill an afternoon and stumbled upon an exhibit where an artist took all these photos and videos from the Great Depression and painstakingly colorized them all. It was amazing... Dunno if it's just me, but seeing it all in color really drove it home. I was at that museum until it closed for the day, absolutely captivating.
I'm actually the exact opposite. There's a certain "grit" to black and white film/photography that lends itself well to destruction and despair, and I find it much more impactful than seeing the same in color. However, this film stood out to me for many reasons, and I do suspect that in this particular case, the colorization was one of them.