Incredible WWI documentary coming...

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
This is something that I would love to see, but if I understand it correctly, it will only be showing in the US on two days...12/17 and 12/27. I'm sure the number of theaters showing it will be greatly limited. Anyways, I point this documentary out as I know we have some veterans and history buffs amongst us who may very well like to catch this, if at all possible. I, for one, am hoping to see it, or at the very least, get a copy of a DVD. Unfortunately, at this time, the only DVDs available are for Region 2, which I don't believe will play on my DVD player (we're Region 1, as I understand it). If anyone knows a way to get a Region 1 copy, please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it!

The film is "They Shall Not Grow Old". Check this out...

https://youtu.be/IrabKK9Bhds

This is something that I would love to see, but if I understand it correctly, it will only be showing in the US on two days...12/17 and 12/27. I'm sure the number of theaters showing it will be greatly limited. Anyways, I point this documentary out as I know we have some veterans and history buffs amongst us who may very well like to catch this, if at all possible. I, for one, am hoping to see it, or at the very least, get a copy of a DVD. Unfortunately, at this time, the only DVDs available are for Region 2, which I don't believe will play on my DVD player (we're Region 1, as I understand it). If anyone knows a way to get a Region 1 copy, please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it!

The film is "They Shall Not Grow Old". Check this out...

https://youtu.be/IrabKK9Bhds

Amazing, how they restored color to the film footage.

Having read all of Ernest Hemmingway's works, I've met with the bug to delve a little deeper in the WWI as well.

I've been a student of Holocaust Literature for close to 20 years, which has yielded some remarkable discoveries of WWII. But WWI, that's "a whole nuther thing."

Reactions: Squatch
Amazing, how they restored color to the film footage.

Having read all of Ernest Hemmingway's works, I've met with the bug to delve a little deeper in the WWI as well.

I've been a student of Holocaust Literature for close to 20 years, which has yielded some remarkable discoveries of WWII. But WWI, that's "a whole nuther thing."
I find documentaries to be my favorites. This one may not actually be considered a documentary, per se, but will surely be a fascinating film to watch.

I watch a lot of documentaries on WWII. I will admit that the entire Nazi Germany things fascinates me in many ways. What drives a man (Hitler) to such hatred? How could an entire nation follow that ideology? How can human beings, in general, treat each other the way they did? I watch with a morbid fascination, and try to get a sense of some of the possible answers.

As you stated, WWI is a whole 'nuther thing. What little I have read or watched regarding it is equally fascinating, and I can see myself looking into it more.

Same here; documentaries have always been my favorite genre on the movie screen--followed closely by dramas which reflect history so closely that they are near-documentaries themselves (e.g., Schindler's List, Band of Brothers, etc.).

What is little-known about Hitler's evolution to such an unspeakable level of ethnic hatred, is that his book, "Mein Kampf," is in part a product of the influence of Martin Luther--of all people. Most western, seminary-trained theologians do not know this, and if they do, they don't readily speak about it.

In short, and at the noble end of the spectrum of human achievement, Martin Luther penned his "95 Theses," which became the theological spearhead of Protestantism (by mention of such, I in no wise speak ill of the Catholic Church, I rather underscore that Martin Luther's 95 Theses was a noble work). However, on the treacherous end of the spectrum of human achievement, Martin Luther would later pen a series of writings on the "scourge of the Jews." And it was these latter writings which gave birth to the monster which grew inside Hitler--to later form the Nazi Regime--equating to the death of 20 million people in death camps--a number far greater than the readily-referenced "6 million" representing Jews.

My reference to Martin Luther's offerings is in no wise an attempt to defame the man. Much rather, the "spectrum" I've defined above is that which simply underscores that he was, in fact, a mere man. Herein lay my overarching premise to the question of evil: I believe mankind to be inherently evil, and that we have to learn to be good. And further, that we have to overcome our inherent evil, by discovering just how we can go about being transformed--on the inside. Assuming ownership of a Jeep TJ is a very good start.

:)

A "man of letters," who penned several weighty letters over 2,000 years ago, challenged his readers to "...hold every thought captive...". That is, to weigh and consider every thought--before it gives birth to the spoken or written word--which later gives birth to action--whether good or evil. This said, when Martin Luther penned his 95 Theses he was clearly "holding every thought captive." However, when he penned his latter writings positing that "Jews were the scourge of the earth," he was likely indulging in too much fine beer--which tends to allow every thought to run amuck (nothing against beer, mind you--I enjoy it myself :)).

I've spent time with holocaust survivors, in Israel, at Yad Vashem, the holocaust memorial. I had the supreme privilege of taking part in a ceremony therein, for one particular survivor. In and through meeting this woman, I'm left with one profound conclusion: The potential for evil in mankind can be terrifying. However the commensurate potential for kindness, mercy, compassion and love can nullify such, and triumph over evil, in the end. And, this potential reaches its climax when a human being has been exposed to the worst measure of suffering, including the holocaust, to then remarkably so, choose to forgive. And it is this capacity to forgive, which baffles me far more so than our capacity for evil.

@Squatch, you have my sincere apologies for waxing philosophical. To make amends for such, please allow me to diffuse my posturing by posing a more relevant question to this forum: What do you say, about the merits of the advantages versus disadvantages of the longer wheelbase in the LJ?

:jump:

I find documentaries to be my favorites. This one may not actually be considered a documentary, per se, but will surely be a fascinating film to watch.

I watch a lot of documentaries on WWII. I will admit that the entire Nazi Germany things fascinates me in many ways. What drives a man (Hitler) to such hatred? How could an entire nation follow that ideology? How can human beings, in general, treat each other the way they did? I watch with a morbid fascination, and try to get a sense of some of the possible answers.

As you stated, WWI is a whole 'nuther thing. What little I have read or watched regarding it is equally fascinating, and I can see myself looking into it more.

I always had the Nazi concept in my head as being no different (starting out) from Roosevelt and what he did in dealing with the depression during his first term. Initially Hitler lifted Germany up and radically improved the economy and when the german people busy looking the other way he changed the rules. What most people do not understand is that Stalin's reign was much worse then Hitler's and millions more died by his hand, but he was an ally so those things at the time were hushed up. Try reading Churchill sometime, very difficult to read but crazy interesting.

Reactions: Tomcat and Squatch
LOL On the wheelbase issue, better ride quality, less potential for vibes after a lift, more room, and higher resale value. These are all things surmised from reading this forum, btw. I've never owned an LJ.

As for everything else you said, please do not apologize. I thoroughly enjoyed all that you shared! The only thing you stated that is counter to my way of thinking is regarding that of mankind being inherently evil, and that we have to learn to be good. I have always looked at it the other way around. After babysitting my 8 month old granddaughter for this past week, I can say that I still believe that we are all innocents (the plurality is intentional) when we enter into this world, and we have the potential to go either direction. I believe that hatred and racism are learned. The teachers of these can be everything from our own local culture, to a much larger environment, such as political and economic unrest and stress. People feel they're doing all that they can, and so it must be the blame of someone else. Scapegoats abound when you adopt that mindset.

Remember as a child, how everyone was your friend until proven otherwise? We lose that as adults. It's very easy to distrust. Sometimes I get pretty down about what I see out there, but I have found a simple way to pick myself back up. I partake in "random acts of kindness". A simple one is paying for the order of the car behind me in the drive through. Sometimes I have $5.00 worth of food, but the car behind me has around $20.00! LOL I love to think about how puzzled they must be when they get up to the window with nothing owed. Makes me smile. But I digress...

I hope you get a chance to see the film. I'm looking for a theater in my area that will be playing it. I think it would be great to see it on the big screen!

@TJ4Jim, when I saw you tag line (or whatever they're actually called), I couldn't help but continue the thought:

"If you come to a fork in the road take it. You never know if you're having spaghetti for dinner." :)

LOL On the wheelbase issue, better ride quality, less potential for vibes after a lift, more room, and higher resale value. These are all things surmised from reading this forum, btw. I've never owned an LJ.

As for everything else you said, please do not apologize. I thoroughly enjoyed all that you shared! The only thing you stated that is counter to my way of thinking is regarding that of mankind being inherently evil, and that we have to learn to be good. I have always looked at it the other way around. After babysitting my 8 month old granddaughter for this past week, I can say that I still believe that we are all innocents (the plurality is intentional) when we enter into this world, and we have the potential to go either direction. I believe that hatred and racism are learned. The teachers of these can be everything from our own local culture, to a much larger environment, such as political and economic unrest and stress. People feel they're doing all that they can, and so it must be the blame of someone else. Scapegoats abound when you adopt that mindset.

Remember as a child, how everyone was your friend until proven otherwise? We lose that as adults. It's very easy to distrust. Sometimes I get pretty down about what I see out there, but I have found a simple way to pick myself back up. I partake in "random acts of kindness". A simple one is paying for the order of the car behind me in the drive through. Sometimes I have $5.00 worth of food, but the car behind me has around $20.00! LOL I love to think about how puzzled they must be when they get up to the window with nothing owed. Makes me smile. But I digress...

I hope you get a chance to see the film. I'm looking for a theater in my area that will be playing it. I think it would be great to see it on the big screen!

Yea and Amen on the conclusions on the LJ. I kick myself for not jumping on a golden opportunity therein, 2 years ago, when a coworker offered to sell his LJ to me for $4K under market value. My primary attraction to them is the ability to sleep in one, fully stretched, while camping.

I was abused as an infant and abandoned as a toddler. I later I grew up being beaten by gangs; beaten severely, repeatedly--beause of my skin color. I never experienced the feeling that "everyone was my friend." Quite the opposite. However, in early adulthood I chose to forgive, and immediately experienced the power therein, as only then did my blinders-of-bitterness fall off long enough for me to understand why I grew up as a whipping post. Thankfully, my choice to forgive freed me from falling into the same trap--racism.

Though we do differ on our conclusions about the inherent nature of mankind, we are certainly tracking on the dynamics of random acts of kindness, of which my wife and I have been engaged for over 2 decades, at a level which most consider "outrageous." We have watched countless numbers of lives being changed in an instant, through random acts of kindness. We've found it's the most effective way to get people to open their hearts--just long enough that we can in turn speak something into them that they'll never forget. And, what's better, is that these moments provide a better high than anything which can be grown and smoked:)

Having wrestled with the two-fold question as to the Nature and Purpose of Mankind, for decades at this stage, I've concluded that it will only be fully grasped while wheeling a Jeep--off the beat path:)

P.S. Thanks again for the prompt on the forthcoming documentary--a must see.

Reactions: Tomcat and Squatch
I wrote a paper on trench warfare and general WWI warfare tactics, it blew my mind about damn near every aspect of that war. Absolutely miserable war.

If you want a very good history lesson, watch the YouTube CHannel "The Great War", a complete timeline of WWI and gives a lot of "unknown" facts pre and post-war. Don't skip the pre-war stuff, it is important to the lead up and cause of WWI. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A

The Vietnam War by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick on Netflix is amazing as well.

Reactions: Squatch
Yea and Amen on the conclusions on the LJ.

P.S. Thanks again for the prompt on the forthcoming documentary--a must see.
Glad to hear of your positive attitude, we can certainly use more of that.

The video brought back memories - my first Jeep was a '76 Renegade (sadly, the first year they made the 304 V8 optional instead of standard. Mine had the 258 I6)

I wrote a paper on trench warfare and general WWI warfare tactics, it blew my mind about damn near every aspect of that war. Absolutely miserable war.

If you want a very good history lesson, watch the YouTube CHannel "The Great War", a complete timeline of WWI and gives a lot of "unknown" facts pre and post-war. Don't skip the pre-war stuff, it is important to the lead up and cause of WWI. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A

The Vietnam War by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick on Netflix is amazing as well.
Ken Burns does some amazing work with his documentaries. I'll look into "The Great War" on YouTube. Thanks for the tip!