Indiana Indiana Axle Re-Gear Shop

Nathanc

Does anybody know where I could take my 2003 Jeep Wrangler to have the axles upgraded to super 35s, a regear, and lockers installed? I want to take it to someone that knows what they are doing and has experience with Jeep’s, otherwise I may as well do it myself

I just did mine myself. Yukon 4.88's, Eaton E-locker and revolution 30 spline axle shafts in the rear. I left the front stock for now besides the gears. It wasn't too bad, definitely took a lot of time though.

Reactions: JoseA
If you have the time, and it does seem to take time and lots of detail work. I have changed my carriers, but not done a full on ring and pinion. Its do able with the right tools. I think you can really save some money and learn some stuff too. If every thing turned to crap you can always take it in and have a pro do the job.
Id say if you have time give it a try, do it your self.

I just did mine myself. Yukon 4.88's, Eaton E-locker and revolution 30 spline axle shafts in the rear. I left the front stock for now besides the gears. It wasn't too bad, definitely took a lot of time though.
That’s pretty much exactly what I want to do. I’ve just seen a lot of people say gears and lockers are the one things they won’t do themselves so it makes me nervous. Is it a weekend project or longer?

If you've never done it, longer. You'll need to make setup bearings and races, buy specialty tools and that's just getting shit for differential work. You'll need to pull the shafts which may require more tools than you have, such as a 36mm socket. I'll tell you that the specialty tools I have for gear jobs cost me $1,200. Although not all needed, here's what I use.

Differential case spreader
ARB shim drive tool
good set of calipers (not Chinense)
good dial indicator w/ magnetic base (not Chinese)
bearing heater
20T press
die grinder to hone inside of bearings and outside of races
in.-lb. beam style torque wrench
Race driver tools
Seal driver tools
My pinion depth tool has helped me shave hours off pinion depth setup

A decent mechanic can get the rear differential gutted in about 1 hour. The front is a bit more involved but should take no more than 1.5 hours. Add 15-30 minutes for a Northeast factor. With proper tools and knowledge, gear setup is tough to estimate but I'd say I average 3 hours an axle. That's sliding the axle shafts back in for final assembly. If it's going to be a one and done, have a shop do it.

If you've never done it, longer. You'll need to make setup bearings and races, buy specialty tools and that's just getting shit for differential work. You'll need to pull the shafts which may require more tools than you have, such as a 36mm socket. I'll tell you that the specialty tools I have for gear jobs cost me $1,200. Although not all needed, here's what I use.

Differential case spreader
ARB shim drive tool
good set of calipers (not Chinense)
good dial indicator w/ magnetic base (not Chinese)
bearing heater
20T press
die grinder to hone inside of bearings and outside of races
in.-lb. beam style torque wrench
Race driver tools
Seal driver tools
My pinion depth tool has helped me shave hours off pinion depth setup

A decent mechanic can get the rear differential gutted in about 1 hour. The front is a bit more involved but should take no more than 1.5 hours. Add 15-30 minutes for a Northeast factor. With proper tools and knowledge, gear setup is tough to estimate but I'd say I average 3 hours an axle. That's sliding the axle shafts back in for final assembly. If it's going to be a one and done, have a shop do it.
Thanks for that. With the cost of the specialty tools, it almost seems better to just have a shop do it…..

Thanks for that. With the cost of the specialty tools, it almost seems better to just have a shop do it…..
Definitely more than a weekend if you've never done it. Making setup bearings is a big PITA especially for the Dana 30, since you'll need 4 rather than 2. I tried using the old bearings for setup to save some money, but ended up using the new ones in the yukon kit and ordering a new set for final install. Dremel tool with grinding stone worked well. The only specialty tools you cannot do the job without are an inch lb dial torque wrench (for setting pinion preload), dial indicator with magnetic base (for checking backlash), and calipers or micrometer (for measuring shim thicknesses). While I don't recommend cheap precision tools for anything, for a job like this, you can get by with them. Seal drivers, shop press, case spreader, bearing heater will all make your life a lot easier but aren't completely necessary. I used a toaster oven to heat the bearings and put the pinions in the freezer to allow for easy installation. I did however use a 20 ton press to install carrier bearings even after they were heated in the toaster oven. I have plenty miscellaneous pieces of round stock and gas pipe laying around and access to a lathe at work which lets me make just about any seal/race driver I need.

Any tips on books or any other documentation to learn the process? I've read the BillaVista article, watched BFH garage videos on youtube and some other videos. Been wanting to do it myself to save $$.

To do it right and only do one or two axles, you're not going to save much money..

Reactions: SvtLdr
I'd say you're on the right track. Both the BillaVista article and BFH garage are top-notch resources. I found it really helpful to learn how to setup gears with a couple of buddies. We were able learn together and help keep each other on track by having multiple sets of eyes on the project. Not to mention the extra hands were an added benefit and we split the cost of the specialty tools required. So we got 3 sets of axles re-geared which really added up with the money we saved.

I'd recommend giving it a try and don't hesitate to post here with questions. There are a lot of great resources available here on the forum.

Reactions: JoseA
Any tips on books or any other documentation to learn the process? I've read the BillaVista article, watched BFH garage videos on youtube and some other videos. Been wanting to do it myself to save $$.
I used the BFH video. It wasn't that bad just make sure to leave yourself at least double the time you think it will take and make sure you have all of the tools you'll need. I tried using the old bearings for setup to save money but ended up wasting way too much time trying to remove the old bearings without destroying them so I'd recommend buying a new set and hollowing them out.

Reactions: SvtLdr and JoseA
I went from 3.07's to 3.72 because it was easy, I bought the entire axle housing and gears from a donor jeep. I did install a LSD for the Dana 35 and a locker for the Dana 30. So I went through the set up Except for the Pinion. I will eventually go to the 4.10's but the next time Im going to bite the bullet and buy the "Actual" bearing puller ( its expensive as heck) but It would make it a ton easier. I Think everything will go together with a lot less messing around, with ALL of the equipment to make all the setting up, go smoother.
just my opinion