Indoor propane space heater

P man

Keister Bunny
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Anyone have this one or something similar? My concern is smell and moisture. I don't see anything in the reviews about odor. Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20231129_163355_Chrome.jpg

How small of a space are you wanting it for? I have the model that's twice the size you posted. Built my LJ with it next to me over a Colorado winter in the Rockies. I smelled it occasionally but it wasnt bad in a 2 car garage.

Reactions: MikeE024 and P man
How small of a space are you wanting it for? I have the model that's twice the size you posted. Built my LJ with it next to me over a Colorado winter in the Rockies. I smelled it occasionally but it wasnt bad in a 2 car garage.

Small garage 2 car at the most

Haven't installed it yet but I have this thing waiting to go in my garage.

Dr. Heater DR966 240-volt Hardwired Shop Garage Commercial Heater, 3000-watt/6000-watt, DR966 240V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS8FZAC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

at 6000W it's only a little bigger than the Big Buddy, and I'm only expecting to heat the area around the front of the Jeep. My garage is insulated but it's 25x39.

If 230V is available, I would suggest that, but if he's limited to 115 it's not worth entertaining IMO.

I like my Big Buddy, since it can turn up to 18000BTU/hr...that's 5300W.

I’ve got a 230V (10,000W) in my garage and it can quickly warm it up. No experience with th 115V.

Had a 210,000 BTU torpedo heater first, it was a bit much.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I’ve got a 230V (10,000W) in my garage and it can quickly warm it up. No experience with th 115V.

Had a 210,000 BTU torpedo heater first, it was a bit much.

I've never had a 115V that would make a noticeable difference in any reasonable amount of time. Basically trying to heat a garage with a hair dryer.

The 18000BTU big buddy would heat my oversized 2 car in Colorado from the 20s to taking off my sweatshirt and turning the heater off within a couple of hours. I had it hooked up to a grill sized tank and would empty it in about 10 evenings of Jeep work.

Reactions: Apparition
I've never had a 115V that would make a noticeable difference in any reasonable amount of time. Basically trying to heat a garage with a hair dryer.

The 18000BTU big buddy would heat my oversized 2 car in Colorado from the 20s to taking off my sweatshirt and turning the heater off within a couple of hours. I had it hooked up to a grill sized tank and would empty it in about 10 evenings of Jeep work.

I run the 9k in my Atlanta garage, nowhere near as cold as you but does a good job of taking the chill out of the garage.

I finally installed a Big Maxx natural gas in mine. I ran the propane for years. Took long to warm up and the condensation was bad. Not good with all the steel and tools in the shop. It served it's purpose though.

Haven't installed it yet but I have this thing waiting to go in my garage.

Dr. Heater DR966 240-volt Hardwired Shop Garage Commercial Heater, 3000-watt/6000-watt, DR966 240V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS8FZAC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

at 6000W it's only a little bigger than the Big Buddy, and I'm only expecting to heat the area around the front of the Jeep. My garage is insulated but it's 25x39.

I have had this on my list for almost a year now. I should just bite the bullet and get it. My exterior walls are not insulated yet, but now would be the time so I can get it hard-wired easily.

Anyone have this one or something similar? My concern is smell and moisture. I don't see anything in the reviews about odor. Thanks in advance

View attachment 478223

Smell shouldn’t be a problem but instructions do say to crack a window for ventilation. You will also need a gas filter sol

View attachment 478223

View attachment 478223

Smell shouldn’t be a problem. The instr do say you need to crack open a window for ventilation. Be sure to also use a filter if you want to use a 20lb tank instead of the 1-pounders. You will ruin the heater if you use it without the filter.

If you just want to heat your person with a heater directly on you the smaller ones will probably work but if you want to heat the whole garage you will need a lot more btu. Even in Arizona where my garage does get down below 40 sometimes I use a small Dyna Glo torpedo along with a 30,000 btu forced air electric and 3,500 watts of electric baseboards near the work benches. My garage is 1,200 square feet with 12 foot ceilings but all of this heats it up nice in about an hour, then I shut off the noisy torpedo and pretty soon it gets hot enough to shut down most of the electric. I don't like to work in a jacket ;)

The Dyna Glo throws some serious heat but it's noisy and you don't want to run it very long without lots of ventilation which kind of defeats the purpose, but a garage is usually leaky enough to get by for maybe an hour then the cleaner heating can take over.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...O-0dKubso8Npxh4PP1aMW47dI8jh3ZszwgPMX_Bvs95DA

Reactions: P man
If you just want to warm your person you want to get "radiant" or "infrared" heat, these work very well for that, but again only in well ventilated areas.

I use one when working outdoors. The point is, if you're trying to heat a large space it takes a lot of btu and you will need ventilation free btus, but heating just your person with adaquate ventilation makes it easier (and cheaper)

radiant.jpg

Reactions: ColoJeep and P man