Inexpensive Black Steelies

Terry from Texas

Supporting Member
Hey guys, when I got my 06 LJ it had the most god awful amount of chrome in it. Well I have slowly been de chroming it and the last thing I need is some black Steelie wheels. I don't want to break the bank but want a good product and am going for 15 inch wheel. Looking for suggestions. Thanks on advance.

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
If you wheel it at all, I'd go toward a cheap alloy wheel. Steelies bend up too easily if you play in rocks much.

If you don't, I can't recommend any steelies.

Reactions: Lax22
I always heard it the opposite way, alloys will crack where steelies will bend, and you can bend them back and be on your way. Is that no longer the prevailing wisdom?

I might be interested in some black steelies too.

Reactions: Kurt_S
I always heard it the opposite way, alloys will crack where steelies will bend, and you can bend them back and be on your way. Is that no longer the prevailing wisdom?

The force necessary isn't equal between the two. Go look at @starkey480 's thread on always being out of balance after wheeling on steelies.

I have heard this same advice. I hit a rock too hard last year on the trail w/ steel wheels and bent the edge. Fortunately the bead didn't come off. Managed to get home and pound it back in to place with a 5 lb hand-sledge.

I have black steelies and play in the rocks, never been an issue. I got them at 4 wheel parts, I think 50 each

Hey guys, when I got my 06 LJ it had the most god awful amount of chrome in it. Well I have slowly been de chroming it and the last thing I need is some black Steelie wheels. I don't want to break the bank but want a good product and am going for 15 inch wheel. Looking for suggestions. Thanks on advance.
I have wheeled with both, granted not the rocks that the guys out west wheel in. I have never bent a steel wheel or broke an aluminum wheel. So I can't really help you a lot.

All I can really say and @RINC Will soon be along to set me straight is,

Welcome to the ditch the chrome Nation!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
I have wheeled with both, granted not the rocks that the guys out west wheel in. I have never bent a steel wheel or broke an aluminum wheel. So I can't really help you a lot.

All I can really say and @RINC Will soon be along to set me straight is,

Welcome to the ditch the chrome Nation!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
If I remember right, the black d-hole steelies came out some time ago from NASCAR. They lost their luster (pun intended) on street cars. Then I got the off roading bug, and Bam! there they were on off road rigs. Never understood the black rim interest.

• Haha
If I remember right, the black d-hole steelies came out some time ago from NASCAR. They lost their luster (pun intended) on street cars. Then I got the off roading bug, and Bam! there they were on off road rigs. Never understood the black rim interest.
BRM (black rims matter) :ROFLMAO: :cry: :ROFLMAO:

I have a silver Wrangler with silver fender flares and a gray roof and chrome grill. It's kind of all the same color. I'm thinking about some black accents to break up the boredom. I've never liked black wheels, but maybe . . .

I have a silver Wrangler with silver fender flares and a gray roof and chrome grill. It's kind of all the same color. I'm thinking about some black accents to break up the boredom. I've never liked black wheels, but maybe . . .
Do it!!!!!! Do it!!!!!

I have my own opinions but, you do you, you old buzzard. 🙃

• Haha
+1 for the Procomp Steel

D08DF053-E251-4062-8DFE-A6B093655C1B.jpeg

A7CC165F-7934-48D4-A174-9DF6592AFF7B.jpeg

2A9CD04E-8A36-4DDB-B99D-2311259E52F4.jpeg