Infant and toddler seats in a TJ?

I love how proper he is sitting! My son loves wheeling from his 1st trip - we will be doing more once I decide how I want to redo the back seat since he moved to a booster (PRP/Bestop/highback booster)
Right on! I was going to get that back seat but my son rides upfront now in a PRP seat with harness and is rarely in the back. But when he is back there he does have the harness. I just don’t think I could get an aftermarket back seat past the roll cage anymore and can barely get the stock one in and out folded up. I do want to get a head rest back there for him

2000 TJ, so no latch system. We used the Chicco Keyfit system for a little while in rear facing mode. We now use the Chicco Myfit forward facing. Both were placed it in the middle of the rear seat with the seatbelts cross fed through the seat or base. The extra room between the front seats was needed for the rear facing, and is still nice with the front facing. Kiddo crawls in and plops down in her seat on her own. I have plenty of reach to buckle her, but it’s a stretch for momma. I replaced the bolt holding the rear seatbelt latches on the floor with a racing restraint eyebolt (not a hardware store eyebolt) to attach the top strap.

We like the extra protection factor of the center position, but it won’t work with more than one seat. Kiddo loves it and can often be heard asking to go for a Jeep ride.

Hi there. I too have a 2000 TJ and am facing the same issue with my soon to be 4 year old as he so badly wants to ride in the jeep. I also bought the Chicco Myfit and would like to install it in the TJ however, I've struggled with finding the OEM top tether part to get it retrofitted. SO, I'm VERY interested in the work you did where you replaced the bolt holding the rear seatbelt latches on the floor. Would you happen to have any before and after photos? Obviously after photos would be the most helpful...Also, would you happen to have any photos (and possible URLs) you could share of the racing restraint eyebolt you used? I so badly want my son to be able to go for rides with me but I really want to feel comfortable that he is safe/secure and I'm not familiar with the hardware so I don't want to guess! TIA :)

I used the G-Force 109L which screwed into the existing threads. I think the thread pitch is 1/2”-13. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but you just screw it in until the shoulder below the eye is tight against the plate holding the belts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...NPtSQ1VZdC8DNdGOXVwmgW0x1joY5-ikaAvkJEALw_wcB

1661229145395.jpeg

Last edited:
My kids are 11,8,4. The 11yr old is just moving up to the front so I’ve been using these, which let me adjust the size of the harness and head support. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXPB4BH/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I also had www.seatbeltplanet.com build me new belts with the “kisse” locking retractor you see in modern car seats. I even got to crash test it…no kids were in the car and everyone walked away but the car seat didn’t move an inch.

15937950-DB63-43C8-AAF4-C6696395F23C.jpeg

DF8F514E-C9F9-40F3-9A48-0E632D77DC9C.jpeg

Edit, this was last year and I’ve since replaced the Jeep and car seats with the same setup.

Last edited: