Inherited a TJ

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
I lost my Dad last October to cancer. After he passed away, I took ownership of his 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. He was a lifelong Jeep man and I couldn't bring myself to sell his prized TJ. It sat for around a year in Florida after he got sick. Needless to say, this wasn't good for it and it now needs some TLC. I've taken it upon myself to bring it back to life and put it back on the road. I've stalked this forum for a while and eventually decided to take full advantage of the wealth of knowledge found here. I'm not a Jeep man per se but I see that changing in the near future...

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Be sure to post some photos when you get a chance.

My Dad is currently dying from cancer (it's been a long, slow, painful death), but I don't think he has much longer. That being said, my condolences. Cancer isn't a fun thing to die from.

The nice thing is however, he will live on with you via the TJ. I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it!

Reactions: Mikester86
OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
Be sure to post some photos when you get a chance.

My Dad is currently dying from cancer (it's been a long, slow, painful death), but I don't think he has much longer. That being said, my condolences. Cancer isn't a fun thing to die from.

The nice thing is however, he will live on with you via the TJ. I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it!
Cancer sucks ass man. I know exactly what you’re going through. Just make sure you say everything you need to before it’s too late. That’s my only regret. I’m stoked to carry on his passion though. It’ll definitely be a labor of love!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Cancer sucks ass man. I know exactly what you’re going through. Just make sure you say everything you need to before it’s too late. That’s my only regret. I’m stoked to carry on his passion though. It’ll definitely be a labor of love!
With the immunotherapy he was on having added another 2 years he didn’t think he would get, I have fortunately had the chance to say everything I needed to. Still, watching him suffer for years on end has been taxing to say the least.

OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
I know it’s a double edged sword to get to keep your dad around but also have to watch him suffer. I’ll be praying for him and for you brother. Make every minute count...

Reactions: Chris

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Feb 27, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Not your typical entry into TJ’s, but admirable. Sorry it had to be that way. Prayers. Besides basic maintenance, do you have anything planned for it?

OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
Not your typical entry into TJ’s, but admirable. Sorry it had to be that way. Prayers. Besides basic maintenance, do you have anything planned for it?
Thanks man. Yeah it’s already under the knife and I’ve only had it for a little over a month. Aside from basic maintenance I’ve changed the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover and gasket, spark plugs, and crack case breather tubes. I’ve got a full JL Audio and Focal system part way in. Currently I’m replacing all exhaust from the manifold to the cat-back including all new o2 sensors. I’ve ran into a snag with the Magnaflow cats and downpipe fitment though. After all of that gets taken care of it’s on to new wheels and brakes, suspension, and bumpers. So to answer your question... yes 😁

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Feb 27, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Thanks man. Yeah it’s already under the knife and I’ve only had it for a little over a month. Aside from basic maintenance I’ve changed the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover and gasket, spark plugs, and crack case breather tubes. I’ve got a full JL Audio and Focal system part way in. Currently I’m replacing all exhaust from the manifold to the cat-back including all new o2 sensors. I’ve ran into a snag with the Magnaflow cats and downpipe fitment though. After all of that gets taken care of it’s on to new wheels and brakes, suspension, and bumpers. So to answer your question... yes 😁
Wow, you are really getting after it. That rig is going to be running like a top and looking like a million bucks. Nice work! Your dad would be proud!

qslim

I think I need a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Sep 17, 2018
Utah
Dude I think it's great that you're getting into the TJ scene because of your dad's truck. The circumstances are terrible obviously, but what can you do? I inherited a damn 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis from my own father when he died... Yellow on yellow on yellow!!! The thing is ridiculous but fuck it, it's my dad's car! I am now the world's greatest expert on Ford 460 engines, mid-70's options offered by Mercury, and every time we move I am the psychopath that has to have a garage at least 24' long to fit this land yacht so it doesn't have to sit outside. But my kids now love it too, and every weekend in the summer we pile in the Grand Marquis to go get doughnuts. I have the only 6 year old in the U.S. with a discerning taste with regards to Kiss and Bowie 8-Tracks.

This is beyond a doubt the best place to get your dad's truck in the best shape it could be!

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
Dude I think it's great that you're getting into the TJ scene because of your dad's truck. The circumstances are terrible obviously, but what can you do? I inherited a damn 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis from my own father when he died... Yellow on yellow on yellow!!! The thing is ridiculous but fuck it, it's my dad's car! I am now the world's greatest expert on Ford 460 engines, mid-70's options offered by Mercury, and every time we move I am the psychopath that has to have a garage at least 24' long to fit this land yacht so it doesn't have to sit outside. But my kids now love it too, and every weekend in the summer we pile in the Grand Marquis to go get doughnuts. I have the only 6 year old in the U.S. with a discerning taste with regards to Kiss and Bowie 8-Tracks.

This is beyond a doubt the best place to get your dad's truck in the best shape it could be!
Thanks man... I lol’d when I misread a part of your post. I thought you said you and the kids pile into the Grand Marquis to go DO doughnuts. I was like “that’s pretty badass to throw in a Bowie 8 track and take your kids to go do doughnuts in a 77 Grand Marquis”...

Musicman

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2019
Columbia, Maryland
Sorry for your loss J.Vaughn 81. What an honor for you and your Dad, to keep his pride and joy going. Looking forward to the progress. I for one, know the importance, of the priceless info the folks here offer. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you for doing what you are doing. I have 2 Jeeps, I know when I go, they will be right behind me, along with my other main stay for 25 years, Porsche 944. Enjoy the journey, you won't regret it.

OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
Sorry for your loss J.Vaughn 81. What an honor for you and your Dad, to keep his pride and joy going. Looking forward to the progress. I for one, know the importance, of the priceless info the folks here offer. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you for doing what you are doing. I have 2 Jeeps, I know when I go, they will be right behind me, along with my other main stay for 25 years, Porsche 944. Enjoy the journey, you won't regret it.
Thanks for the kind words. I will say that when I’m working on it in the garage by myself, it’s almost like I get to spend a little time with him. That’s been pretty cool.

Reactions: fxrsliberty

MaloStapalo

МалоСтапало
Supporting Member
Mar 26, 2018
Веил, колорадо
Thanks for the kind words. I will say that when I’m working on it in the garage by myself, it’s almost like I get to spend a little time with him. That’s been pretty cool.
If you are in NC, Uwharrie is a great place to go. I grew up in NC. If youre in Denver, then there is even more places to go in colorado, which is where my home is now.

OP
J.Vaughn81

J.Vaughn81

Apr 14, 2019
Denver, Nc
If you are in NC, Uwharrie is a great place to go. I grew up in NC. If youre in Denver, then there is even more places to go in colorado, which is where my home is now.
I’m in Denver NC, just outside of Charlotte in the Lake Norman area. Ironically enough though, I used to live about 20 minutes from Uwharrie. We’ve been up there a few times with the RZR and 4wheelers. The Jeep will definitely be making an appearance there in the near future! I haven’t been to Colorado but I’d imagine the off-road opportunities out there are limitless.

Reactions: MaloStapalo