Can I eliminate the inner pinion oil slinger and instal a thinner shim?

micro

I'm changing gears in my Dana 30.
My math tells me I need a thinner pinion shim than what the original "slinger" shim is.
My question is, can I eliminate the slinger and just install a thinner regular shim, or do I need to find a thinner slinger shim?
Thanks for any help.

I'm changing gears in my Dana 30.
My math tells me I need a thinner pinion shim than what the original "slinger" shim is.
My question is, can I eliminate the slinger and just install a thinner regular shim, or do I need to find a thinner slinger shim?
Thanks for any help.
Leave the oil slinger on and install thinner shims behind the inner pinion bearing race

Reactions: Chris
Why do you feel you need a .030? If there weren't any shims there before what is requiring one now?

You have to have the oil slinger as it is what helps get the gear oil up to the pinion bearings.

Why do you feel you need a .030? If there weren't any shims there before what is requiring one now?

You have to have the oil slinger as it is what helps get the gear oil up to the pinion bearings.
I changed gears from 3.07 to 4.10.
The new gear has a different pinion height.

I changed gears from 3.07 to 4.10.
The new gear has a different pinion height.

Is this all on paper right now or have you actually put the gears in and got a reading with gear paint? I have done a lot of gear setups and never had to change out the oil slinger before.

if you have not gotten to crank a pattern, how do you figure all this?
if you have 1 show it and we can tell which way it needs to move.

if you have not gotten to crank a pattern, how do you figure all this?
if you have 1 show it and we can tell which way it needs to move.
I figured it out.
I’m a dumb a**
I needed a thicker shim not a thinner One.
This is what I ended up with.
What do think?

7E16DD36-0981-4C69-8C90-F965A1ED6FA8.jpeg

1793B012-EED2-417C-996E-0A951C90F9A9.jpeg

not really a good contact. your bearings are seated and the caps are on finger tight?
are you applying pressure to the ring gear? enough that you would need a tool to crank the pinion?

a drop of oil can help the grease thin some. and wiping the top flat of the tooth clean makes it easier to read from pictures.