Insane, anyone try this?

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast

Not ashamed, I don’t think I could do that, up or down! Lol...I seen a bunch of videos and usually a 4 door, long Jeep doing steep climbs. Can a short wheelbase two door do this without tipping? I couldn’t find any videos of two doors making it up those steep angles.

You aren't going to do anything close to that without a lot more power than anyone typically puts in a TJ. Not sure about the full bodies, but some of the rails have 1500+ hp on their highest tune. Most of the time they run them around 1000 hp. I've seen a few guys put some power in TJ's to make them sand worthy, but still not sure they'd pull off what you see in the middle east.

If you are purely talking about angles, I've never had my TJ on a steep enough angle to worry about flipping backwards. You can put a TJ on a serious upwards angle without worrying. The problems start when you try to do very steep rock faces without proper suspension geometry. Once the front end starts to lift or you start bouncing, things get a bit sketchier.

You aren't going to do anything close to that without a lot more power than anyone typically puts in a TJ. Not sure about the full bodies, but some of the rails have 1500+ hp on their highest tune. Most of the time they run them around 1000 hp. I've seen a few guys put some power in TJ's to make them sand worthy, but still not sure they'd pull off what you see in the middle east.

If you are purely talking about angles, I've never had my TJ on a steep enough angle to worry about flipping backwards. You can put a TJ on a serious upwards angle without worrying. The problems start when you try to do very steep rock faces without proper suspension geometry. Once the front end starts to lift or you start bouncing, things get a bit sketchier.
I have TJ Rubicon, I’m wanting to take it to the sand dunes in Michigan. They say they have some intense stuff/ angles there. What’s the best set up? Should O get the locker mod done so it works in 4 Hi?

Shoot, most of the time I have to get up to 88mph to make it up the smaller dunes at Oceano in my Jeep. Can...not...maintain....

FB_IMG_1537277465763.jpg

I grew up driving Jeeps in sand dunes out in Ogilby and Glamis. Stock CJ's with paddle tires all the way around can do amazing things. I was blown away by the dunes they would climb. Of course many of the guys had V8's swapped in but the stock CJ's could climb anything...just not as fast. We used to sidehill them all the time.

I have TJ Rubicon, I’m wanting to take it to the sand dunes in Michigan. They say they have some intense stuff/ angles there. What’s the best set up? Should O get the locker mod done so it works in 4 Hi?

I have never driven in the dunes before so I can't comment too much, but I would definitely make sure you can turn your lockers on in 4hi. Especially with a Rubicon, I don't imagine you'd get enough speed to clear most dunes in 4lo.

Reactions: Jeff Allan and JMT

Might want to make a new thread about that. Probably going to get lost in here.

Reactions: pc1p and Jeff Allan
I wouldn't even try that. I'd be afraid of exactly what happened at the top, only I'm less likely to pull off the recovery instead of barrel rolling the whole way down the dune until EMS/Fire has to jaws of life my corpse out of the crumpled wreckage.

Reactions: Stinkbug
100% you want 4 Hi. 4Lo only if you get stuck.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I wouldn't even try that. I'd be afraid of exactly what happened at the top, only I'm less likely to pull off the recovery instead of barrel rolling the whole way down the dune until EMS/Fire has to jaws of life my corpse out of the crumpled wreckage.
Lol...its really not bad. Go to youtube and lookup Glamis or Ogilby Patton Valley. You'll see lots of high powered rigs but the Jeep is capable if set up right. #1 air down as much as you can!!!

Its been a few years, but I've taken my TJ up there a couple of times.......It's a lot of fun! You should have no problem with your rubi...air your tires down to 10-12 psi.....make sure you have front/rear anchor points....they have park trucks rolling around to pull you out if you get stuck....not too mention everyone helps each other out....you have to run a flag off your front bumper, everyone in town sells them. momentum is your friend.....There wasn't a dune there I couldn't get over. Just watch out for getting high-centered on the top of some of the dunes. A couple of my first attempts on some of the bigger dunes, I didn't quite make it.....I felt they were too steep to try and turn around, so I slowly backed down and tried again.

Mike

Closest ive seen in memory is blow sand hill in ocotillo... oh and glamis.

I failed going up blow sand.. needed better gearing and had no lockers at the time.

Ive been down a steep hill at angle of repose - 40 degrees..... i nearly rolled cuz the sand fell faster then my rear tires moved... causing the keep to fish tail and go on 3 tires. Being on 3 tires nearly perpendicular to the hill was scary...

For fun... here is a yj at truckhaven doing Crossover.

Closest ive seen in memory is blow sand hill in ocotillo... oh and glamis.

I failed going up blow sand.. needed better gearing and had no lockers at the time.

Ive been down a steep hill at angle of repose - 40 degrees..... i nearly rolled cuz the sand fell faster then my rear tires moved... causing the keep to fish tail and go on 3 tires. Being on 3 tires nearly perpendicular to the hill was scary...

For fun... here is a yj at truckhaven doing Crossover.

That was awesome!!

That was awesome!!
I run 8-10 psi a the dunes, and that’s too high sometimes. 4-Hi with rear locked works best at least in what I’ve seen. Get more speed than you think before trying to go up a dune, don’t fall into a witches eye :) I can get up to 90 mph along the harder packed stuff in 4-Hi.

Reactions: TJ Starting