<<Insert witty title about being a poor jeep owner here>> (06 Rubicon Progress Thread)

LCL-Dead

It broke.. ..again
Supporting Member
So this thread serves two purposes.

1: It will catalogue progress as I mod and fix various parts of this Jeep.
2: It allows me a venue to bitch without tagging on to other people's threads.

So the vehicle in Question is a 2006 Rubicon, automatic, that's starting it's trip almost bone stock.

Nope, no nickname for it yet.. though "Bitch" is the strongest contender.

ukeVgUm.jpg

History:

Single owner, 112k miles when I picked it up, owner is/was my Father-in-law so I was able to get a complete history of the vehicle from him. In hindsight, I should have tempered my excitement to be picking it up and had him take it back to USAA to have some issues from it's single accident fixed before accepting it, but I was too excited to get it back to NC and start having fun.

So we'll start with the issues:

1: It's got a pretty consistent o2 sensor issue that, in all likelihood, is probably a wiring gremlin. I say this because he's had the o2 sensors and CAT replaced twice and it still throws a p0158 code on-and-off throughout the week.

2: Can't really take her off road at the moment because the front control arms and control arm mounts need to be replaced. An after-effect of the collision that happened a few years back when my father-in-law lost control on a patch of black ice out in Chicago and put it nose first into a guard rail. The shop that did the work on the Jeep somehow missed the fact that the lower control arm mounts on the axle were bent over to the side a bit, so now the axle is being pushed out to the passenger side by about an inch, putting some stress on the rest of the components under the front end. Rear end was fine despite some corner damage to the body.

The sway bar end links were also pretty much destroyed in the accident. I'll replace those eventually, once I get the control arms fixed.

Edit: Found some damage pics

9QjcchI.jpg

y84oTWG.jpg

ffYwHC6.jpg

There's actually some rust here along this panel now. Something I'll need to grind out and re-seal.

And the axle alignment.
r3EvIW6.jpg

tOGv7c6.jpg

3: Transmission. So a couple of things happened here in the past that I think ultimately contribute to the issues I'm having right now.
3a: My father-in-law's girlfriend stuck it in 2nd and proceeded to drive 75 miles at speeds ranging from 45-70mph during a trip from Southern MD to VaBeach not too long ago.
3b: The transmission had never been serviced for that first 112k miles.

Now the transmission, before it's warmed up, is beginning to hesitate when shifting. It's up and down (As I found out after dropping into 4-low). I talked to some mechanic family members about it and, to them, they think it sounds like the bearings that move around in the transmission when the pressure hits the right points for shifting are gunked up a bit from burned/old transmission fluid. It sounds right to me. I flushed it a few weeks ago and will likely drain it again in about 400 miles so that I can replace the filter and put fresh fluid in. Last thing I want to have to do on top of the suspension fixes is rebuild the transmission... though there is a Jeep junkyard about an hour away. I wonder if they might have a Rubicon transmission laying around.

But hey! The lockers work!

Aside from those outstanding items there are no doubt a few electrical gremlins I need to chase down. I think there are some bad grounds happening under the dash where my father-in-law was dicking around when he installed the light bar (Seriously, to turn on my lights, the radio has to be on...) so I'm going to rip out those relays, by a second external relay bay and re-rig the wiring properly with an electrical engineer buddy of mine to help me out.

PLANS!

1: At least 2" of lift. Maybe 3". I'll see about that when it comes time to purchase a kit.
2: 33" tires & 15" wheels.
3: New, more aggressive front/rear bumpers (w/ Tire Carrier).
4: Snorkel
5: Upgraded lighting.

Jf1evS6.jpg

Last edited:
And that is why I didn't buy anything that had a known accident reported. Too many weird issues. I'd rather fix rust than try to realign bent brackets. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Sounds like you already have a good idea what's wrong, which is a big step toward getting it fixed!

What did you pay for it? How much do you anticipate spending just to get her back to 100% stock, good running condition and damage free?

A Red TJ Rubicon is undoubtedly my favorite combination of them all!

What did you pay for it? How much do you anticipate spending just to get her back to 100% stock, good running condition and damage free?

A Red TJ Rubicon is undoubtedly my favorite combination of them all!

Paid $1k. :D It would have been free but as my father-in-law was giving it to us my wife put her foot down and demanded he accept something.

Anticipated? Not much. From day one I thought it may have been a trackbar issue (as evidenced by my early posts here) until I figured out what was really wrong with it.

I knew about the rear panel beginning to rust and wasn't worried about it in the slightest as we don't salt the roads down here and pulling it/cleaning it up/repainting it is a non-issue in terms of cost/work (I can do it myself). It's just other things popping up as I spend more and more time beneath it that I was only kind of half expecting due to its age and mileage.

Most of what I'm finding is minor and cosmetic and doesn't warrant immediate attention. The next thing I'll be doing is inviting an electrical engineer friend over who's also a Wrangler enthusiast and we'll be using his wiring manuals to go over the harness for the o2 sensors and some of the interior dash wiring when we move the power source for the trail lights.

And that is why I didn't buy anything that had a known accident reported. Too many weird issues. I'd rather fix rust than try to realign bent brackets. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Sounds like you already have a good idea what's wrong, which is a big step toward getting it fixed!

The thing is.. I've driven it dozens of times since the accident. Until this transmission hesitation issue, it's literally never had an issue that I've noticed. Hell, I still take it down light trails right now, I just won't bury it in mud until I have the brackets fixed. It's sitting out back behind my office about half covered in mud right now. I also wait until the trans is warmed up and shifting properly. The weekend I went up to get it I drove it to Arlington for a funeral and had no issues with it.

If I want to skimp, I can leave the control arms alone, they're stock and still in good shape, they'll just need new bushings before I'm 100% comfortable with them. The mounts themselves, on the axle, are what need fixing and our local Jeep shop already said they don't need to be replaced, just bent back into position with some extra welds tacked on to reinforce them a bit.

Here's the worst offender:
iJB3GEz.jpg

That's the mount that's pulling everything to the passenger side. Once it's straight (The driver side mount is still straight.. enough) everything will line up properly again and she'll be good to go. All I need to do at that point is replace bushings.

I think the biggest issue I'm facing here stems from the fact that my father-in-law didn't perform ANY preventive maintenance while he owned it. Just oil/tire changes. So I now slowly have to go over the entire vehicle and service everything that hasn't seen any love since 2006/2007.

Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
Sounds like a solid plan.

The undercarriage looks surprisingly rust free for being a Chicago vehicle. How is the frame?

It may end up being cheaper and easier to just replace the arms rather than go through the hassle of replacing the bushings. The last I checked, new control arms were around $25 shipped to your door.

What stuck out the most from all of this though is the snorkel. Do you have plans for deep water crossings that require the use of a snorkel?

Reactions: LCL-Dead
Wow... but for 1k you can't go wrong. That's a steal any way you look at it. Hell, the parts alone are worth thousands!

Wow... but for 1k you can't go wrong. That's a steal any way you look at it. Hell, the parts alone are worth thousands!

That's why I'm not bitching too much about it. Being basically free I don't really have room to complain. With it being stock underneath (The only things he did were the light bar, front/rear bumpers and a winch) I'm actually happier with it that way. I don't have to un-fuck anyone's previous work or jerry-rigged modifications.

Sounds like a solid plan.

The undercarriage looks surprisingly rust free for being a Chicago vehicle. How is the frame?

It may end up being cheaper and easier to just replace the arms rather than go through the hassle of replacing the bushings. The last I checked, new control arms were around $25 shipped to your door.

What stuck out the most from all of this though is the snorkel. Do you have plans for deep water crossings that require the use of a snorkel?

Rust is light because it's not actually a Chicago vehicle, he was just in Chicago visiting his long-distance girlfriend at the time. For the most part it was driveway kept in Southern MD. They do some light road salting at the beginning of winter up there and then that's it as they usually don't get snow and ice buildup is light. Down here in NC they don't do a damn thing until it's already snowing and even then might only plow the main roads. I'd imagine that some beach cruising is in it's future as well so that may contribute to rust a bit more.

As for the Snorkel, we've got a lot of deep holes here and I think I'm more of a mudder than I am a crawler or trail monkey so I'll probably find myself in one or two of those holes eventually. I'm looking at doing a DIY setup through the cowl rather than cutting into the fender on the passenger side but, as always, I'm still exploring the options available for that route. Having been a muscle head/rice kid with all of my previous cars, I'm also just not a fan at all of the current air intake setup as it sits under the hood.

$25 shipped? Are those the Crown OE replacements? I've done a bit of digging on Quadratech but haven't grabbed on to any single part yet. I'm also debating waiting, since it drives fine as is, in order to pool up resources for a lift and tires/wheels as well and just replacing them with what comes with.

As for what I'd like to do with the undercarriage if I had the money right now:
1: New Front Driveshaft. The current one isn't messed up but the boot (I think its a boot?) about halfway down it is shredded. Likely from the accident. It's funny.. You can hear the bits of rubber still on it whistle when you throw it into four low and creep forward at anything above a crawl.
2: New bushings all the way around. They just need to be replaced.
3: New Shocks. It's still rocking factory shocks at 100k+ mileage.
4: Time with a wire grinder and some Por 15. There's light rust everywhere you'd expect it and I want to knock it off/seal it up. Still exploring options related to this.

Reactions: Chris
As for the Snorkel, we've got a lot of deep holes here and I think I'm more of a mudder than I am a crawler or trail monkey so I'll probably find myself in one or two of those holes eventually. I'm looking at doing a DIY setup through the cowl rather than cutting into the fender on the passenger side but, as always, I'm still exploring the options available for that route. Having been a muscle head/rice kid with all of my previous cars, I'm also just not a fan at all of the current air intake setup as it sits under the hood.

Many moons ago during my deep water days I thought about doing the cowl snorkel mod. I even went as far as getting a replacement cowl for my TJ in the same red color from eBay. One thing led to another and never got around to do it.

I saved the write-up I found into a PDF in-case it ever disappeared from the net.
I am attaching it here for you to get ideas.

Attachments

• CowlColdAirIntakeWriteUp.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,160
Much appreciated!

I've read a few DIYs on the cowl mod and am hesitant, if only because every DIY I've seen, the firewall where they cut the hole has almost nothing there but a ground that only needs to be turned so as to not block the pipe. Mine, on the other hand, has a ton of crap bracketed/bolted/hanging from it. That's about the only thing that makes me hesitate right now.

I think that most people will agree that mud is the devil. It causes havoc on your parts and will lead to premature failure on bearing and drive line components. There is a lot needed to prep the Jeep in order for a snorkel to be anywhere near useful. To each his own though, if you end up going that route.

$25 shipped? Are those the Crown OE replacements? I've done a bit of digging on Quadratech but haven't grabbed on to any single part yet. I'm also debating waiting, since it drives fine as is, in order to pool up resources for a lift and tires/wheels as well and just replacing them with what comes with.

Actually, Quadratec has them for less than $25 each with free shipping if you use one of the Forum Discounts. Personally, I would wait on the control arms and shocks until you decide what lift you are going to put on then you only need to buy once.

Lift, any lift, is probably a long ways off. I'm thinking like next tax season at best unless some other items fall into place sooner than expected. If I can grab a full set of front upper/lower control arms for around $100-$150 that still cuts over $100 off of the shop estimate. They were going to charge me $265 for OEM replacements. Labor covers the other $250ish portion of the cost and that's swapping them out + straightening out and double checking all of the axle and frame mounts to make sure they're true before welding in some reinforcements to keep things in line.

Even then, lift depends on having tires/wheels lined up as well, which is another huge chunk of change unless I can find some used items or decide to just stick with the factory rims. I'd like to run 32 or 33x12.5 tires though so not sure if sticking with the stock rims is my best bet. It's all a bridge I'll cross when I come to it though.

Reactions: Serbonze
fddc4270f6f979284f1169a4621ef507--jeep-funny-jeep-meme.jpg

In all likelihood, that is probably the exact face I was making as I pulled into the McD's parking lot with my 5 year old, killed the stereo and the AC so I could hear well enough to order food and suddenly heard a heavy *CLUNK* from the rear end as I began to apply pressure to the brakes.

A couple of days of driving and troubleshooting what I could without pulling anything off and I'm pretty sure there's something going on with my driver side rear brake assembly.. Whether its the rotor, the caliper or a pad being loose, something is up. Hopefully it's not something deeper than that.

On a parts update:

I've narrowed down some sway bar links for the front bar, rather than OEM it looks like i'll be picking up something adjustable between 0-3" of lift with a QD feature.

I've also ordered a 1" set of spacers for the front end just to level it out for the time being until I've got the money for the lift and wheels put together.

This weekend it looks like i'll finally get a chance at the time needed to lay down beneath her with a wire grinder and bust up some frame and component rust before hitting it with a coat of Por15 to seal things back up. That will also give me time to go over the wiring for the o2 sensors and swap out the fuel filter.

Progress, however small, is still progress I guess.

Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
Fixed the missing stud on Saturday and, by proxy, figured out how to remove the rear axle shafts. That was an interesting experience.

Didn't drive it on Sunday save for a few seconds to move it out of the driveway so I could get the car behind it out and then when I jumped into it to head to work this morning my damn front axle locker light was blinking at me.

FML.

Reactions: dylansalrin
So I'm damn near ready to just sell the Jeep and find another one.

Twice in the last 10 days my Front Locker light has started blinking. The first time was shortly after pulling out of my driveway the weekend before last and, after cycling through 4-low to turn the lockers on and off, I realized it wasn't trying to engage out of 4-low and chanced the 1.2 mile drive to work. Made it with no further issues and the light turned off right before pulling into the parking lot.

Yesterday it went off again, this time after driving through a pretty hefty puddle in the rain on my way off base. I stopped at a store and by the time I'd gotten what I needed and come back out, it was no longer blinking. So obviously there's a bare wire, a short in the wire or the little mushroom plug thingy has begun to go bad. That's fine. Easy fix according to most forums/mechanics.

Then today as I'm heading to the store over lunch, my CIL dings at me. Not unheard of, I'm pretty sure there's a wiring short in the harness to the o2 sensors as they've been replaced twice in the last year, along with the cat once and still the light kicks off for them every now and then. Usually a P0158 code for high voltage. While I'm at the store I kill the engine and run the ignition trick to get the codes.

P0157
P0158

High & Low voltage on the same sensor.

To top it off, I notice as I get out on the road back to my office that the Jeep just suddenly feels sluggish and is beginning to pull to the right. It's taking more throttle to maintain 35 & 45 mph, to the point where it's downshifting with cruise control on every 10-15 seconds just to pull the Jeep back up to the speed I have it set at.

The pull was reminiscent of when I had a flat on one of my other cars, the brakes weren't overly hot upon stopping and for the life of me I have no idea where to even begin looking to troubleshoot this and don't have the money to run it to a shop right now and pay their extortion fees for a simple diagnosis of the problem.

It's either that or the 10 years of doing nothing but changing the oil, rotating the tires and putting in new brake pads is beginning to show.

Some days I really do want to just knife-hand my father-in-law and have him explain himself.

For all the crap he preached about taking care of one's car it's become painfully obvious to me that his idea of taking care of a car seems to have just been taking it to a shop and not learning anything else about it.

Well, considering the purchase price, you are way ahead still. Hopefully that won't change by having to fix/replace too many things...