Install LED headlights with DRL's, and Turn Signal indicators

machoheadgames

LED turn signal club
Supporting Member
I bought some new LED headlights for my '04 Wrangler that have the DRL's and turn signals integrated into them (see photos for wiring/Style).

This request comes with the disclaimer that I probably should have researched the "How" portion of the install, and not just the purchase and punt program that I am in.

If you all could be so kind as to put the training wheels on me and nudge me in the right direction (as always), I would appreciate it.

View attachment 250341

View attachment 250343
Pretty simple. Plug in the headlight connector and you’ll have normal headlight operation.

Run the white DRL wire to a keyed ignition source, so maybe find something in the fuse box that is powered only when the key is on, and use a fuse tap. Do it to a non critical circuit, like a hardtop wiper or something like that. They are so low amperage that the “added load” on the circuit will be no issue, but it’s still best practice to avoid doing things like this on more critical circuits.

Wire the green turn signal wire up to the turn signal wire on the front parking light (one per side).

This should end up with normal headlight operation, a white halo when you start the Jeep, and a blinking amber halo when you make turns.

Pretty simple. Plug in the headlight connector and you’ll have normal headlight operation.

Run the white DRL wire to a keyed ignition source, so maybe find something in the fuse box that is powered only when the key is on, and use a fuse tap. Do it to a non critical circuit, like a hardtop wiper or something like that. They are so low amperage that the “added load” on the circuit will be no issue, but it’s still best practice to avoid doing things like this on more critical circuits.

Wire the green turn signal wire up to the turn signal wire on the front parking light (one per side).

This should end up with normal headlight operation, a white halo when you start the Jeep, and a blinking amber halo when you make turns.
Damn! That sounds too simple...I am bound to screw it up now-Lol.
I assume on the turn single connection since the light itself has a female connection, I would have to splice, and/or add a male connector? Currently, mine are all in black crinkle wrap and taped-No wire, or other connectors dangling out.

Thanks for your input.

20210507_103607.jpg

20210507_103616.jpg

You’re going to have to open up the loom, find the turn signal wires, and splice into them. I would recommend doing that with heat shrink butt splices. It will probably be best if you undo the clips holding the loom, then pull it all up out of the grille so you can work on it easily without having to reach into dark areas where you can’t see what you’re doing.

Yes, to utilize those connectors you will need the male version. If you want it to be super clean, run the male ends of the wires up the loom and have them come out next to the headlight plug so that all the connection points are where the factory plug is.

You’re going to have to open up the loom, find the turn signal wires, and splice into them. I would recommend doing that with heat shrink butt splices. It will probably be best if you undo the clips holding the loom, then pull it all up out of the grille so you can work on it easily without having to reach into dark areas where you can’t see what you’re doing.

Yes, to utilize those connectors you will need the male version. If you want it to be super clean, run the male ends of the wires up the loom and have them come out next to the headlight plug so that all the connection points are where the factory plug is.
That will be what I will do, and you with the outcome.

Again, thanks a lot MHG for the "Training Wheel" explanation.

I think I forgot to ask an important question? When I'm splicing the turn signal into the existing wire and running a new wire to my designated fuse for the DRLS, what gauge am I using?
I know standard auto is 18g, but is that what is running in Jeeps OEM?
Thanks again

Just perusing the "how to" threads and saw this one. We have the same headlights, though the PO put mine in. What was the outcome of this for you? While there is nothing wrong with how mine were done, it is not very clean and I'll be redoing the wiring shortly. I hate clutter :)

Just perusing the "how to" threads and saw this one. We have the same headlights, though the PO put mine in. What was the outcome of this for you? While there is nothing wrong with how mine were done, it is not very clean and I'll be redoing the wiring shortly. I hate clutter :)
Haven't gotten there yet, but still on the list. If you end up hitting it before me, would love to hear how it went.

Reactions: BRTJ
I think I forgot to ask an important question? When I'm splicing the turn signal into the existing wire and running a new wire to my designated fuse for the DRLS, what gauge am I using?
I know standard auto is 18g, but is that what is running in Jeeps OEM?
Thanks again
I never got a notification for this. I would just use 18AWG. The LEDs are very low amp draw and the factory wiring is usually 18AWG also, so it should work well.

I never got a notification for this. I would just use 18AWG. The LEDs are very low amp draw and the factory wiring is usually 18AWG also, so it should work well.
Thanks for the follow-up.
That's what I ended up buying with the same assumption. Just need to get rolling on it, and see how bad I can screw it up-Electrical is outside my wheelhouse-Lol.

Can I piggy back on this thread please? I'm installing the same setup and like always I've found a way to dick things up. I tapped into the signal wires and soldered them together and it seemed to work, the signals in the headlight blink just fine. I ran a power line from #17 fuse under the hood and it powers the drl just fine. But, when I plug both wires into the new lights and turn the blinker on it stays solid amber, I disconnect the power for the drl and it starts to blink. Basically, drl and blinkers work fine individually, but all together not so much and I'm an electrical idiot.
Thanks in advance!

Can I piggy back on this thread please? I'm installing the same setup and like always I've found a way to dick things up. I tapped into the signal wires and soldered them together and it seemed to work, the signals in the headlight blink just fine. I ran a power line from #17 fuse under the hood and it powers the drl just fine. But, when I plug both wires into the new lights and turn the blinker on it stays solid amber, I disconnect the power for the drl and it starts to blink. Basically, drl and blinkers work fine individually, but all together not so much and I'm an electrical idiot.
Thanks in advance!
Hmm maybe a problem with the lights? Sounds like you have them set up properly.

I've only wired the passenger side, so I swapped the lights and it did the same thing.
Thank you, that was a good idea!
Try unplugging the side marker bulb from the side marker socket. Any changes?

Where exactly in the harness did you splice in the turn signal wiring?

Try unplugging the side marker bulb from the side marker socket. Any changes?

Where exactly in the harness did you splice in the turn signal wiring?
I haven't tried unplugging the side yet but I will. I spliced into the wires coming out of the front signal before it goes into the main loom going back into the engine bay.
Yup, pulled the side marker and no luck.

Last edited:
I haven't tried unplugging the side yet but I will. I spliced into the wires coming out of the front signal before it goes into the main loom going back into the engine bay.
Yup, pulled the side marker and no luck.
Post back what you find when you pull the bulb. The side markers can be problematic when LEDs are installed in the front sockets, so maybe splicing in these lights caused trouble as well although I don’t see why. Especially since the problems start when you plug in DRL, don’t see why there would be an issue only when dealing with DRL and turn.

Post back what you find when you pull the bulb. The side markers can be problematic when LEDs are installed in the front sockets, so maybe splicing in these lights caused trouble as well although I don’t see why. Especially since the problems start when you plug in DRL, don’t see why there would be an issue only when dealing with DRL and turn.
Unfortunately pulling the side bulb didn't make a difference.

I can not possibly think of what the issue would be. Light plugged in, DRL hooked to keyed power, and amber turn signal indicator hooked to turn signal circuit.

When you hook both wires up, does the DRL still run or what? Is it only when you turn on the blinker with both plugged in that problems start?