Install Report: Yukon YA-WU-08 Manual Hub Conversion Kit and VANCO 16” Big Brake Kit

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
INSTALL REPORT: YUKON YA-WU-08 Manual Hub Conversion Kit and VANCO 16” Big Brake Kit

This is an install report for my new Yukon manual hub conversion and Vanco 16” Big Brake Kit. It isn’t intended to be a “how-to” because the instructions that come with the kits and the relevant sections in the Factory Service Manual explain the procedures better than I can. Besides, I had the luxury of having one of the best gear, axle and brake professionals in the North State region of California do the work so it would seem disingenuous to explain how to do something he did.

Many of you have watched with interest as I addressed the vibration/harmonic that developed in the front end at higher speeds after I re-geared my ’06 LJ Rubicon 4 speed auto from 4.88 to 5.38. Rotating and rebalancing the tires did nothing, a new Tom Wood front driveshaft didn’t cure it, nor did an alignment or adjusting the front pinion angle. However, removing the front driveshaft eliminated the vibration completely so it was almost universally agreed that the sure but expensive fix would be a conversion to manual hubs. See: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ations-after-re-gear-to-4-88-or-deeper.12218/

I’m an old school guy. Except for the ZJ I once owned and my current LJ, my jeeps have always had manual hubs. What I have never had is the patience to fiddle with front pinion angles for hours on end in the pursuit of some illusory sweet spot that might or might not tone the vibrations down to an acceptable buzz. The decision was clear: Convert my front Dana 44 axle to manual hubs.

In the thread linked at the end of this paragraph the discussion focused on the relative merits of the various manual hub options currently on the market. From that discussion and my own research, I concluded that the two best are the Yukon YA-WU-08 kit which requires changing to the 5x5.5 lug pattern, and the Yukon YA-WU-07 kit which uses the Warn hub design for the Ford Explorer and retains the TJ 5x4.5 lug pattern but widens the track ¾” per side. See: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ng-a-manual-locking-hub-conversion-kit.16093/

After consultation with @mrblaine at blackmagicbrakes.com regarding the concerns I had about the smaller Explorer hub kit, and being assured that my concerns were largely unfounded, I decided to go with the Yukon YA-WU-07 5x4.5 kit so that I would not need to buy new wheels. Ironically, the very next day I received a camelcamelcamel.com price alert for Amazon’s second lowest price on record for the larger YA-WU-08 5x5.5 manual hub conversion kit. Being a sucker for a good deal, and the price discount being more than the price for five new wheels and a new spare tire, I made a 180 degree change in direction and bought the 5x5.5 kit.

The Yukon YA WU-08 manual hub conversion kit comes with everything you need including 4340 chromoly outer shafts, Timken bearings, 5-760X axle u-joints, modified CJ rotors, premium locking hubs, etc. The instructions included with the kit are comprehensive and well written.

I elected to install 4340 chromoly 30-spline inner axle shafts as part of this project since there would be no additional installation charge when done at the same time as the hub conversion. The rotors and calipers need to be removed as part of the hub conversion so I also elected to replace the stock parts with the Vanco 16” Big Brake Kit from BlackMagicBrakes.com. I needed better braking anyway because the factory brakes are marginal on an LJ as it is, I tow an offroad trailer on occasion, and I want/need as much braking power as I can get to stop that additional weight.

I am pleased to report that the hub conversion has been completed without undue complication and the vibrations that commenced after my re-gear to 5.36 are now completely gone. I can drive 80 mph on the Interstate with one finger on the wheel and the ride is smooth as glass. Well maybe not smooth as glass, but really smooth. How do we know that it was the hubs that “fixed” the vibrations? We don’t. What we know is that the hubs solved the problem because the vibrations cannot be felt when the hubs are disengaged and when the hubs are engaged the vibrations return at the same high speeds with the same character and intensity as before the hubs were installed.

My opinion of the Vanco 16” Big Brake Kit is that it is muy bueno y tal vez incluso excelente. Even during the first cycle of pad break-in the improvement over stock is substantial. If reports are true that braking performance continues to improve through successive break-in cycles these brakes will indeed be something to write home about. However, despite some of the best instructions I have seen, the installation was not quite seamless. The rotors @mrblaine supplied to mate with the Yukon hubs needed some minor additional machining to perfect the fit and after some telephone consultation when the hubs wouldn't play nice with the rotors it was decided that a spacer would be required to deal with the issue created by the Yukon hub. @mrblaine overnighted the additional parts, which are unnecessary if one is installing the big brake kit on a jeep with the factory unit bearings. In the scheme of things these were very minor hiccups and not unexpected considering that mating the Vanco kit to the Yukon hubs is custom work.

All in all, it has been a successful winter project.

Vehicle:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Rubicon Edition
4.0L Engine
42RLE 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
NV241OR 4:1 transfer case
Dana 44 Front Axle with Factory Locker
Dana 44 Rear Axle with Factory Locker
5.38 Axle Gear Ratio
315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 “metric 35” tires

Parts and Part numbers:

Yukon # YA-WU-08 manual hub conversion kit
Yukon # YA W39602 4340 Chromoly Right Inner Axle for Jeep TJ Rubicon 30-Spline Dana 44
Yukon # YA39601 4340 Chromoly Left Inner Axle for Jeep TJ Rubicon 30-Spline Dana 44
Vanco 16” Big Brake Kit, blackmagicbrakes.com
Pro Comp # 1069-6885 16x8 polished aluminum wheels with 5x5.5” lug pattern, 4” backspace, 108mm center bore, new extended thread acorn bulge lug nuts.

My BFG MT 35x12.50 spare tire was 7 ½ years old and worn, not worth remounting on a new 5x5.5 wheel, so I took this opportunity to replace it with a Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 LT255/85R16 “semi-pizza cutter” which at 33.3” in diameter and 10.1" in section width is close enough to the 34.5” diameter of my “metric 35” Mickey Thompsons and substantially lighter and less bulky than my old spare.

Work performed by:

Tony Huff
Action Axle, Suspension & Brake, Redding CA

Technical Assistance:

Blaine Johnson, Black Magic Brakes

Promotional Considerations:

None. No discounted or free products and/or services were requested. All products were purchased in bona fide third party arm's length transactions with no promises of publicity or favorable mention.

Photos:

Hub 1.jpg

Hub 2.jpg

Left Side Caliper.jpg

Left Side Knuckle.jpg

Right Side Caliper.jpg

Right Side Knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, and great to hear you solved having to deal with the vibrations! Just curious - how did you deal with the new wheel bolt pattern on the rear axle and the spare tire carrier?

Looks great, and great to hear you solved having to deal with the vibrations! Just curious - how did you deal with the new wheel bolt pattern on the rear axle and the spare tire carrier?

The rear chromoly axle shafts I bought from Carbon Offroad last year are dual drilled for the 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 lug patterns - the studs were simply moved to the new set of holes.

The Rockhard 4x4 spare tire carrier is pre-drilled for 5x4.5, 5x5.5 and one other pattern which I would guess is 5x5. As with the rear axle shafts the studs on the carrier were moved to the correct holes for the new pattern.

I'm going to have to talk to the guys over at RCV to see about a new outer-shaft for my wife's Jeep.

A few things. The rotors are not the problem. The rotors did not center in the saddle due to Yukon being all over the map with their dimensions and seemingly willy nilly slapping together what ever parts they seem to favor that week. I can make any thing fit just about anything and it is a simple matter to mock one up, make the parts to make it all work and then toss them on the shelf like I did when Warn was making the kit. That has gone by the wayside and I now have to hand fit each kit since they all vary.

The reason I was able to send spacers is only a recent thing where I had some laser cut due to Yukon yet again changing the spacing on the hub so the rotor moves inward based on the flange location on the hub. I used to have machined spacers for the saddle that moved it outward now some have to move the hub outward.

Given a choice, I have the client send me the hub kit which I then fit up to the brake kit and make it all work before it is delivered for installation.

I'm also fairly disgusted that the rotors had to be cut on the vehicle to make them run true after being mounted to the hub. That should never have to be done and we never had to do it with the Warn stuff.

Reactions: MikeE024 and WHBNM
Still, from the point of view of the end user the Yukon kits are the best currently available manual hub conversions for the TJ/LJ and the issues mating the Yukon product with the Vanco product were resolved with no compromise to the operation of the hubs or the effectiveness of the brakes - a happy ending for me.

I suspect that there may have been some differences of opinion about the best method for resolving those issues, and some bad words directed at Yukon or maybe even at me, but I am choosing to remain blissfully ignorant of the details. :)

Thanks again, @mrblaine, for all your efforts in making this happen.

Last edited:
Still, from the point of view of the end user the Yukon kits are the best currently available manual hub conversions for the TJ/LJ and the issues mating the Yukon product with the Vanco product were resolved with no compromise to the operation of the hubs or the effectiveness of the brakes - a happy ending for me.

I suspect that there may have been some differences of opinion about the best method for resolving those issues, and some bad words directed at Yukon or maybe even at me, but I am choosing to remain blissfully ignorant of the details. :)

Thanks again, @mrblaine, for all your efforts in making this happen.
The only words that would possibly be directed toward you are the ones I shared when we discussed the kit from the beginning. I prefer to do the work myself since no one ever knows what will need to be done. I don't save any time when someone else does it and generally spend exactly the same amount of time solving the problems via email and phone as when I just do it here. At the end of the day, all we want is flawless installations and performance.

You don't say.
Warn used to use a 1/8" thick laser cut spacer between the rotor hat and back of hub flange. Yukon eliminated that by making the flange thicker which is a good thing but they also eliminated the center bore registration hub for the rotor. That confuses some installers when the center bore doesn't fit the pilot and then I have to deal with explaining what Yukon did and why it will never register and is now lug centric. Yukon, for some odd reason left it with a large radius that nothing can register on not even the rotor they supply which we toss.

Job well done!

This is a great fix for so many of us with the dreaded harmonic vibrations that result from installing 5.38 gears in our 42RLE equipped TJs. Mine never did this until I installed the 5.38 gears.

Sure enough, when I remove the front driveshaft, it goes away!

Warn used to use a 1/8" thick laser cut spacer between the rotor hat and back of hub flange. Yukon eliminated that by making the flange thicker which is a good thing but they also eliminated the center bore registration hub for the rotor. That confuses some installers when the center bore doesn't fit the pilot and then I have to deal with explaining what Yukon did and why it will never register and is now lug centric. Yukon, for some odd reason left it with a large radius that nothing can register on not even the rotor they supply which we toss.
Lathe fix?

The rear chromoly axle shafts I bought from Carbon Offroad last year are dual drilled for the 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 lug patterns - the studs were simply moved to the new set of holes.

What did you do for the rear rotors? I'm thinking I'll just drill the rears since they're hub centric anyway. If there's an off the shelf application it'd be good to know for future though.

Last edited:
What did you do for the rear rotors? I'm thinking I'll just drill the rears since they're hub centric anyway. If there's an off the shelf application it'd be good to know for future though.
There is no off the shelf application. Some places like Currie do have some, but they are on the low end of the quality spectrum.

Looks like I will be going to the Yukon hubs as soon as possible . My 06 LJR auto trans has the vibes at around 60mph since I got 488's with my 32-33" tires.
If I go with the YA-WU-07 kit, will everything be in the kit ready to just install it, or are there other parts needed? Any problems or tricks with doing the install? I won't be doing it, a one jeep mechanic shop is doing it.

Would the YA-WU-08 kit be worth all the extra expense and other changes needed for it, (new wheels, rear spacers,??)? other parts needed with this option?

I love the look of your setup Mr. Bills, with the YA-WU-08 install. Will the 07 5x4.5 be totally different?

AFAIK the YA-WU-07 5x4.5 kit is complete.

Only you can decide if the YA-WU-08 5x5.5 kit is worth the expense of new wheels and related parts. It was for me, but I got a screaming hot deal on the 5x5.5 kit - enough so that the overall expense for the project wasn't much more than the overall cost would have been using the 5x4.5 kit. I am not aware of current prices.

As far as any difference in strength between the two kits is concerned, @mrblaine has observed that it is typically not an issue.