Install Report: Yukon YA-WU-08 Manual Hub Conversion Kit and VANCO 16” Big Brake Kit

The 07 install adds about 1/2" width to each side of the front apparantly
Since the 08 would need adapters to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 wheels, how much extra width would that add to the rear?

The 5x4.5 kit widens the front track 0.75" each side, 1.5" total.

There are no reliable 3/4" hub centric spacers that I am aware of. However, spacers for the rear axle aren't necessary for any reason other than the aesthetics of equal front and rear track widths. There are reasons why a slightly wider track in front hurts nothing, and may actually be an advantage, but proper automotive engineering analysis is above my pay grade so I will leave that to the experts.

I did not use wheel adapters or spacers when i had the Yukon 5x5.5 kit installed. My rear axle shafts were dual drilled for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 lug patterns so all I had to do was relocate the studs into the correct holes. I then purchased new wheels with the 5x5.5 lug pattern and 4" backspacing.

I am not aware of any spacers or adapters that would allow you to use TJ 5x4.5 wheels with the Yukon 5x5.5 kit which requires CJ style wheels with a 108mm (4.25") center bore. TJ 5x4.5 wheels have a 71.5mm center bore. No way that little hole is going to fit over that big hub.

I am not aware of any spacers or adapters that would allow you to use TJ 5x4.5 wheels with the Yukon 5x5.5 kit which requires CJ style wheels with a 108mm (4.25") center bore. TJ 5x4.5 wheels have a 71.5mm center bore. No way that little hole is going to fit over that big hub.

You could have the hole machined larger. Of course, at that point the wheel stud holes would be cut open, but you could do it. 4.25" hole is edge of the inner diameter of the 4.5" bolt circle. You would have to use really skinny lug nuts.

If I were to go with the YA-WU-08 kit, then I would need to adapt the rear axles from 4.5 to 5.5 Do they make these adapters and would that make the rear wheels stick out wider than the front?
I recently had new rear chrome moly axles installed at the same time as the 488's and they might have been Yukon brand. Would they also have the 5.5 lug holes already in them, or was that something that you had custom made?

If I were to go with the YA-WU-08 kit, then I would need to adapt the rear axles from 4.5 to 5.5 Do they make these adapters and would that make the rear wheels stick out wider than the front?
I recently had new rear chrome moly axles installed at the same time as the 488's and they might have been Yukon brand. Would they also have the 5.5 lug holes already in them, or was that something that you had custom made?
It would be very odd and very rare that they are not dual drilled for both patterns.

Yukon hubs, RCV shafts, BMB 17" brake kit. Talk to RCV and BMB before buying from either as you'll need special parts to make both work with the Yukon hub kit.

IMG_20190725_155855.jpg

The first side took me a little while to figure out but the other side went fast. If you don't have vibes, it's really not worth the extra work to go through for future maintenance of taking it apart vs the stock unit bearing but it's not bad either.

Lay down cardboard, make sure you have the Dana 44 4-pin hub nut socket, and lots and lots of grease before starting.

Well me too now, after a couple trips to Adams Driveshaft to have them install new balanced shafts front and rear as well as new revolution rear axels and my small incremental adjustments to the pinion angles I still have a light rhythmic vibration (very mild) at 45 mph and then again more so at and above 75 mph. I’m so deep into this project and need everything as reliable as I can get so I’ve scheduled Installing a set of Yukon locking front hubs (12 hrs labor) and a few hours time sorting out any fine adjustment to the rear if it’s still needed. First available slot they had wasn’t until November 23rd after learning just how many hours it takes to install I didn't even considering doing the work myself, hopefully this is it for the drivetrain. My aftermarket rims are predrilled for multiple lug patterns so I’m guessing between the hubs kit having pre drilled holes for multiple patterns and my rims there should be no fitment issues popping up?

Well me too now, after a couple trips to Adams Driveshaft to have them install new balanced shafts front and rear as well as new revolution rear axels and my small incremental adjustments to the pinion angles I still have a light rhythmic vibration (very mild) at 45 mph and then again more so at and above 75 mph. I’m so deep into this project and need everything as reliable as I can get so I’ve scheduled Installing a set of Yukon locking front hubs (12 hrs labor) and a few hours time sorting out any fine adjustment to the rear if it’s still needed. First available slot they had wasn’t until November 23rd after learning just how many hours it takes to install I didn't even considering doing the work myself, hopefully this is it for the drivetrain. My aftermarket rims are predrilled for multiple lug patterns so I’m guessing between the hubs kit having pre drilled holes for multiple patterns and my rims there should be no fitment issues popping up?
Hub kit with nothing else is 1 hour per side.

Reactions: 1515art
OK, I’ve got to check what I’m getting into this is Dan’s driveline in Las Vegas $1600 for the Kit and another $1200 labor to install is the $1600 Yukon kit Is this kit more than just the hubs usually or am I becoming someone’s ATM?

OK, I’ve got to check what I’m getting into this is Dan’s driveline in Las Vegas $1600 for the Kit and another $1200 labor to install is the $1600 Yukon kit Is this kit more than just the hubs usually or am I becoming someone’s ATM?

I've never installed the hub kit but I would say that labor charge is ludicrous.

I'm familiar with two meanings for the acronym ATM, and both work in this situation.

There’s a sucker born every minute hope it’s not me again, calling the shop to find out what’s up he says it’s a big job? Tubes, seals, bearings... 80 or 90 pounds shipping weight he’ll show me everything and his guys are good at tracking their time and will only charge me for actual time spent he claims. This is a really big shop and super busy, they have great reviews. I’m at the point in this I just want it done, when I got the 12 hour estimate it did make me choke a second... could be just a shop book estimate from Yukon they are using? All the parts I’ve changed I’m into serious money and not one single item has been jacked up to this point that I can tell so far until this?
Don't forget that you'll need to do something about the front shafts too.
could be this includes all that, the install is turn key complete I believe?

Is that what you charge?
Not sure, we don't do them by themselves often but if you brought me a Yukon hub kit to install and nothing else, that is what I would charge. But, I have a lot of experience with them, I have a press set up, I know what to do when, and I don't need the instructions. I would guess an inexperienced shop to take 3 hours wheels off to wheels on. It really isn't much harder than swapping out a unit bearing. The only caveat is if they have to take your axles apart and attach the stub shafts. I'm usually dealing with assembled axles but even then, that should add only a half hour unless something goes wrong. But, if you have stock shafts, you should be running alloy inners to match the stub shaft.

1200 labor? Shit, I'll drive from SoCal to Vegas to install one for that much. Max charge for that including swapping u-joints, full R&R with the hub kit should be on the high side, 450 and even then that's getting carried away.

Reactions: 1515art
There’s a sucker born every minute hope it’s not me again, calling the shop to find out what’s up he says it’s a big job? Tubes, seals, bearings... 80 or 90 pounds shipping weight he’ll show me everything and his guys are good at tracking their time and will only charge me for actual time spent he claims. This is a really big shop and super busy, they have great reviews. I’m at the point in this I just want it done, when I got the 12 hour estimate it did make me choke a second... could be just a shop book estimate from Yukon they are using? All the parts I’ve changed I’m into serious money and not one single item has been jacked up to this point that I can tell so far until this?

could be this includes all that, the install is turn key complete I believe?
Check and make sure you are getting new inners. Do NOT do outer axle tube seals.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not sure, we don't do them by themselves often but if you brought me a Yukon hub kit to install and nothing else, that is what I would charge. But, I have a lot of experience with them, I have a press set up, I know what to do when, and I don't need the instructions. I would guess an inexperienced shop to take 3 hours wheels off to wheels on. It really isn't much harder than swapping out a unit bearing. The only caveat is if they have to take your axles apart and attach the stub shafts. I'm usually dealing with assembled axles but even then, that should add only a half hour unless something goes wrong. But, if you have stock shafts, you should be running alloy inners to match the stub shaft.
Gotcha. I did my Yukon kit myself and I'm fairly efficient. And I would say it took my 1.5-2 HRS total for the axles and hubs portion. I did use new chromoly inners and U-joints. I did mine during a re-gear.

His 12 HR quote is high though.

It would have been a pleasure having you do the work and I’d have happily paid double for the experience and knowing someone I can trust laying hands on my Jeep, this has been a road I’d have detoured had I been aware of how far off track I’d be replacing so many things.

I probably misquoted them probably he said the inners?

Still, I think when it’s all done I’ll have a ride I love and like every bad investment over time it’ll all seem OK... Jumped on the throttle a couple times on the way back from Dan’s Driveline and wow, flooring it from a stop light moving over 4 lanes to get on the freeway, the front became very lite, (giggles).