Install Report: Yukon YA-WU-08 Manual Hub Conversion Kit and VANCO 16” Big Brake Kit

If you have an auto locker and install the hub kit to eliminate vibes, money well spent.

if you have an auto locker and install the hub kit because you don't like the clicking noise, waste of money in my opinion.
That's great. And the only reason I have a Hubs kit is my front driveshaft. And lessons I learned on my last TJ. I didn't want to play those games with this one. I merely stated that my Aussie locker is loud AF when the hubs are locked and I turn sharp. No place did i say I have a hubs kit because my locker clicks.

I'm in the process of installing the same Yukon kit on my 04. I'm at a loss however about what to do with the rear axel. I know I can get axels that have the 5x5.5 lug pattern but I can't find any break rotors. Got any suggestions?

I'm in the process of installing the same Yukon kit on my 04. I'm at a loss however about what to do with the rear axel. I know I can get axels that have the 5x5.5 lug pattern but I can't find any break rotors. Got any suggestions?
Use the new pattern on the axle to mark and drill the existing BRAKE rotors.

Reactions: Irun
Looks like I will be going to the Yukon hubs as soon as possible . My 06 LJR auto trans has the vibes at around 60mph since I got 488's with my 32-33" tires.
If I go with the YA-WU-07 kit, will everything be in the kit ready to just install it, or are there other parts needed? Any problems or tricks with doing the install? I won't be doing it, a one jeep mechanic shop is doing it.

Would the YA-WU-08 kit be worth all the extra expense and other changes needed for it, (new wheels, rear spacers,??)? other parts needed with this option?

I love the look of your setup Mr. Bills, with the YA-WU-08 install. Will the 07 5x4.5 be totally different?
I'm not completely sure but won't you have to get new wheels anyway since the hubs on the 07 kit would be too big for the center holes on stock tj wheels? If anybody knows I'd like to hear.

I didn't have stock wheels anymore and the wheels that I have (avatar pic of them) fit on the hub kit.

I have a question about this I thought you might be able to help. You were considering either the WU-07 or WU-08. On Amazon it says the 07 is for 27 spline and the 08 is for 30 spline. I have the Dana 30 front which I believe is the 27 spline. Does that mean I couldn’t use the 08, or if so I could need to make some other upgrades?

The spline count referenced is the size of the OUTER stub shaft that is included in the hub kit. You can use either Outer with either a 27 or 30 spline inner shaft as long as they use the same size U joint, I.E. the 5-760x.

Reactions: khakitj
^^ This.

The Yukon YA-WU-08 kit includes the outer stub shafts.* The factory inner axle shafts can be re-used or you can do what I did and upgrade to chromoly inner axle shafts at the same time as the hub install.

Although Ron Stobaugh at Carbon Offroad is my "go to" guy for axle shafts, I used Yukon front inner chromoly axle shafts with my Yukon manual hub kit to maintain consistency of manufacturer and avoid any finger pointing in the event of any future warranty issues. Also, I was able to get just the inners from Yukon (via Amazon) while most of the other chromoly axle shaft suppliers only want to sell complete axle shafts, both inner and outer, with u-joints. Carbon Offroad could have supplied what I wanted, but didn't have inners only in stock the day I called so I would have needed to wait a bit.

Last edited:
^^ This.

The Yukon YA-WU-08 kit includes the outer stub shafts.* The factory inner axle shafts can be re-used or you can do what I did and upgrade to chromoly inner axle shafts at the same time as the hub install.

Although Ron Stobaugh at Carbon Offroad is my "go to" guy for axle shafts, I used Yukon front inner chromoly axle shafts with my Yukon manual hub kit to maintain consistency of manufacturer and avoid any finger pointing in the event of any future warranty issues. Also, I was able to get just the inners from Yukon (via Amazon) while most of the other chromoly axle shaft suppliers only want to sell complete axle shafts, both inner and outer, with u-joints.

My “07” kit came with chromoly outers that would of worked on the factory inners.

I will add when I reached out to carbon Offroad for chromoly inners they informed me that they only sold as complete sets “inners and outers”.

From there I got in touch with Revolution and they were able to provide the needed inners “discovery series”.

My “07” kit came with chromoly outers that would of worked on the factory inners.

I will add when I reached out to carbon Offroad for chromoly inners they informed me that they only sold as complete sets “inners and outers”.

From there I got in touch with Revolution and they were able to provide the needed inners “discovery series”.
I just went through this on my "07" installation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078U88AY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078U8TAI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: khakitj and J R
Just curious, why the interest in manual hubs?

I have the 42RLE, 1” H&R springs and 31” tires. I did the regear to 4.56 and I am having vibrations hitting at 70+. I have tried balancing, road force, then new tires (slightly less aggressive A/Ts), didn’t go away. I figured I would pull the front drive shaft this weekend just to see if that makes it go away, and if it does, investigate further from there. I did a search here on the term “vibration” and am reading through all the related threads first to get a better understanding of all the possibilities.

Reactions: Irun
I pulled out that front drive shaft and it now runs as smooth as glass up to at least 90mph, no vibrations. Its unbelievable, I’ve had it for over a year and never imagined it could be so quiet at those speeds.

I’m so happy right now. When I was accelerating through 70, 75, 80, and nothing but wind noise, I swear it almost brought a tear to my eye.